cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fttc speed

jmarcham1242

fttc speed

Seems a bit churlish to start with a problem but it has reached a stale mate, I hasten to add this is on behalf of my neighbour her download speed is 58m as per B t speed test , I am getting 75 m with the same equipment and distance from cabinet, Plusnet have done tests and say her line is within the guaranteed min and therefore there isn't a fault (although one of their analysts was adament there is a fault) she has agreed to pay for the openreach engineer to come out but Plusnet  will not call out an engineer,they have put her on fibre + 18 month contract which they said was the only way to get a replacement hub the replacement did not make the slightest difference so she now has something she did not need or want . the lady in question is a mental health patient and relies on her connection. Btw there is no wifi involved .Does anybody know how to get Plusnet to send an engineer, help please.

7 REPLIES 7
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: fttc speed

Hi Smiley 

You dont need to pay for a BT engineer if the fault is found outside her property !

Have you tried your router at her house ?  and post the speed test results yours Vs hers

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jmarcham1242

Thanks for the reply, the problem isn't with the router as they sent out a new one which did not make the slightest difference, I know that she doesn't have to pay if the fault is outside , but Plusnet will not send an engineer to investigate despite her saying she would pay

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If the line is in sync between the estimates for the line then this isn't a fault.

I understand that your neighbour relies on the line, however a 58Mb/s connection shouldn't be causing any issues at all. What problems is she experiencing with the actual connection?

I know that she doesn't have to pay if the fault is outside , but Plusnet will not send an engineer to investigate despite her saying she would pay

It's worth keeping in mind that we only pass on a portion of the engineer fee for where no faults are found or the fault is caused by internal wiring, we're charged around £100 more than we actually pass on.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jmarcham1242

Hello Chris, despite your quote "if the line is in sync etc, there was a fault it turned out to be the port in the cabinet was duff ,this has now been changed and restored the speed ,I got an openreach engineer to investigate which he did and he found the fault, the moral being do not accept your isp's "its all ok within limits etc " pursue it to the end.

jmarcham1242

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I think the point Chris was trying to put across that if the line speed is within the estimates and no fault is identified via the usual line testing process, then we shouldn't really be raising a fault report to arrange an engineer because it's likely the engineer will find no fault and thus a large callout fee applied for both Plusnet and the end user.

Happy to hear an engineer identified and fixed a fault that improved your speed, though. Thumbs_Up

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jmarcham1242

Hello Gandalf, the statistics you rely on are to say the least inaccurate ,I have  a screengrab of BT wholesale speed test telling me the speed was 37megs this from the supposed gold standard ,this was obviously nonsense. I suggest that an overhaul of your testing systems to reflect realworld speeds , your own graph shows 80megs for the line in question and a profile of 78megs that alone should have flagged a fault when the speed was 57megs at the user end , compared to my speed of 75megs using the same equipment to the same cabinet again this should have flagged a fault. Only one of your analysts was adament there was a fault presumably using the same testing methods,as he and I have been proved right it does raise the question of why you dismiss your customers so easily.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

This sounds like a different situation as to what Chris was referring to. Here, it seems that the sync speed wasn't the problem, but the throughput (basically your download/upload speeds) being very low.

If all end user checks are completed/there are no reports of high utilisation on the exchange equipment, then an engineer visit would be the next step to investigate further.

I still stand by Chris' point where that a throughput of 58 mbps shouldn't really be causing any problems, though.

Happy to hear the fault was fixed nonetheless.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet