Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frequent severe drop in speed-new user

steveo3002
Dabbler

frequent severe drop in speed-new user

my plusnet has been on 6 days now

ive ran several speed tests and see speeds of 23-30 mbps  which is fine , come accross a problem though while watching netflix it will go off and buffer(standard non hd netflix so no high demand) , so i managed to get the speed checker on when it was buffering and the speed had dropped below 1 mbps , within a minute or two the speed is back to normal

never had this with the previous provider so reluctant to accpet "its your phone socket" 

should i wait longer for it to settle ?  

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: frequent severe drop in speed-new user

The crucial question has to be are you connecting over wireless? If so separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands then try each in turn to find the best. See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

steveo3002
Dabbler

right done that

where it says rename ssid ...is that just rename so i know that one is 5ghz     so name it xxxxxxxx5ghz or such?

thanks will see if that helps

Baldrick1

I don't use a Hub one but a BT Smarthub 6 so I'm not certain but my understanding is that all you do is click on the 5GHz SSID after you have unsynchronised the two and add for example -5 to the existing SSID. It does allow you to tell which is which but more importantly your devices don't try to lock on to both bands at the same time. They now are recognised as separate signals. The thinking behind it is that when the two bands are synchronised, that is, they have the same SSID and password, some devices get confused and flip flop between the two frequencies, which can throttle the performance.

Moderator and Customer

steveo3002
Dabbler

hmm right

well ive named it xxxxxx5ghz    so should show up as differant things hopefully

Baldrick1

If you go to your devices and search for available networks you should now see them both, assuming of course that your device is 5GHz capable.

Moderator and Customer

steveo3002
Dabbler

ok connected to 2.4  still drops off momentarily 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hey @steveo3002, I've tested the line which isn't detecting any faults and the connection looks stable.

That being said, I've been in touch with the QA Team who have advised that there had been some congestion noticed on the current VLAN you are connected to, so it's likely this has been causing you some speed issues.

They have advised that there was a bulk move on the same VLAN yesterday however, meaning the VLAN is now cooler so you should hopefully notice an improvement.

If that still isn't the case however, I'd check a wired connection just to rule out the WiFi causing you problems and if there is still an issue, have a run through these troubleshooting guides and raise it here to us so we can investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team