cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre wiring query

smokeyone
Grafter

fibre wiring query

I would like the plusnet fibre service but after reading the blurb it seems Plusnet supply a new modem and router
which must be connected to the new bt master socket. This is not very handy for me as my desk pc is at the end of the house - not easy
for the wiring and my master socket is right behind the front door - not really convenient for both and modem and router.
My neighbour who has booked through bt to have fibre installed seems to be getting a combined modem and router and was told that
it would be okay to install it at the end of his hardwired telephone extension - much the same as my hardwired telephone extension to my pc.
Any thoughts please and has my neighbour been informed correctly.
Many thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: fibre wiring query

Plusnet only provide the Router it's BT open reach themselves that provide the Modem as there isn't a all in one setup for Plusnet at this moment in time like there is with BT who have their Hub, The engineer installs the modem and a new Master socket but not the router  the setting up and connecting the router is down to you but if you ask the engineer he / she may do it for you but it's not part of the install process. 
if you don't want the modem at the master socket  you can request at the time of placing the order a data extension kit, this allows the engineer to place the modem up to 30 Metres away from the master socket.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

you need to ask PN for a data extension kit when BT come to install  Wink
BT will bring you their modem when they install  and PN supply you with Router . Depends on your engineer as to your master socket , mine moved my master socket to a more convenient place for me   , Tea & bikkies works wonders  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Extra to the good advice above your present installation sounds sub optimal and would probably be restricting your speed  Smiley
Not something to be continued with  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
smokeyone
Grafter

Thank you all for the advice -
it might not be the ideal installation regarding speed but just for information the BT engineer was around a few months back
when I had troubles and tested and checked everything and said all was well - problem was down the road at the green box -
data extension kit might be the answer but would never get "approval" owing to surface wiring...the extension wiring at the moment
is all hidden - is the data extension wiring something special - not the same as telephone cable -
Thanks
WWWombat
Grafter

Your neighbour has probably been advised in a way that is consistent with current cost-cutting practices.
BT Retail's current practice seems to be to go for "self-install" for their 40Mbps packages, but engineer-install for 80Mbps packages. The advice you copied onto here appears consistent with the new "self-install" packages, where BT Retail will expect the end-user to use micro filters similar to the current practice in ADSL self-installs ... and therefore expects them to use extensions without altering the in-house wiring.
Plusnet currently requests engineer installs for all packages.
The key to all this is that the in-house wiring is often the cause of the problems that limit speeds. And the higher the package speed you are buying, the more susceptible the installation will be to poor wiring. An engineer installation is, in theory, the best way to ensure that the resulting wiring setup is suited to the application.
For an engineer installation, you get a hard-wired filter, and a preferred installation where the filter is part of the master socket, with best practice being to put the modem there. With the knowledge that this is best practice, and the socket nowadays needs to be near a power supply, BT engineers (rather than Kelly or Quinn contractors) seem to be perfectly happy to move the master socket as part of the installation, though there are undoubtedly limitations here. Sometimes they are happy to use a spare pair in the existing in-house wiring to put the master further down the chain of sockets, and using the existing connections to turn the old master into an extension; some people frown on this practice, while some engineers seem happy to use it (this was done in my very first engineer-install for ADSL).
My recent installation required drilling through a concrete step to get a new cable through into the house, then running it straight past the existing master (which is now not part of the circuit), through an existing hole into the living room. He used the old (shoddy) extension cable to draw the new one through that hole.
The next-best alternative is to have the dedicated data extension, spurred off the master (which still holds the filter). The kit for this has to be requested at the time of order, but Plusnet have been doing this, which allows the engineer to install it on the day; the act of ordering this kit seems to also be the key to allowing the engineer to move the master as an alternative. Again, this only seems to happen if you get a real BT engineer though, rather than a Kelly or Quinn contractor.
The anecdotal stories read on here seem to be that people more often end up with a moved master, rather than a data extension. Remember too that the new cable for the master could be routed outside the house.
The data extension kit appears to be cat 5e, rather than plain old telephone cable.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm using the same dedicated cw1308 cable I was using for ADSL - my profile is 77.44, the BT indicated maximum for my line. All telephones are on an extension lead filtered at the master socket.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
smokeyone
Grafter

It seems to boil down to whether you have a friendly enginner or not. My last engineer visit chap checked everywhere and everything
from inside the loft to where the line comes into the house - overground cable on poles - and outside the house -
now thinking I might lay my own cat 5 cable in advance if I can find an approved route - if not then either take a chance on existing
telephone cable or leave well enough alone -