cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre upgrade - no increase in speed

FIXED
stannes_c

fibre upgrade - no increase in speed

I recently upgraded to fibre - got the confirmation on Tuesday morning. I'm still seeing download speeds around 8mb.

How long should it be realistically before I see an increase in speed? I've seen 10 days mentioned somewhere but elsewhere it suggests only a couple of days.

3 REPLIES 3
k-swissman

Re: fibre upgrade - no increase in speed

Ditto- just received my Fibre and no speed increase, seems to fluctuate more now :(, unfortunately I cannot answer your question but you're not alone so it's Plusnets end end not ours, hope it will improve soon.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Fix

The confirmation email can be misleading. It doesn't necessarily mean that Openreach have been out to the cabinet and wired you up, just that PlusNet have asked them to. Go into the Members Centre and look at your closed questions. There should be one in there somewhere that gives an actual target date.

There is no 10-day training period for fibre connections. Despite what the documentation says, once it goes live, you get what you get.

If you log on to your Hub One Troubleshooting / Helpdesk page, the "Data Rate" line in the table will tell you your Sync Speed. If that is upwards of 40MBps then you have fibre. If it's down around 8Mbps then you don't have it yet. Another place to look is in the Troubleshooting / Event Log page, WAN category. If it says WAN operating mode is VDSL then you have fibre. If it says ADSL, you don't have it yet.

If your router tells you that you have fibre but the throughput hasn't gone up, it's probably because PlusNet have forgotten to reset your profile in the server. In that case you will need to contact PlusNet and remind them.

stannes_c

Thanks for that. Easy to follow instructions and very useful.

As you suggested, my WAN operating mode is still ADSL so I haven't got fibre yet.