i thought i needed a new master socket with ethernet connection is this correct
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: fibre extra

Hi ozzfest,
Tests don't show me an obvious problem at all.
I'd give it a day or two to see how things settle and please don't bark at the moon or go off the rails.... Wink
Are you connected over ethernet or WiFi a the moment?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ozzfest
i thought i needed a new master socket

Correct. The contractor that did mine tried to pull that one too.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

also the engineer just plugged my existing adsl cable into the modem
You have still got all phones connected via filters haven't you ?
The new master faceplate isn't an etherent one, it's just a filtered one , so that extensions then don't need filters. Some contractors have been known not
to install the faceplate but then to tell people 'you don't need filters with Fibre'. That's correct if the faceplate is fitted, but you still need them if there's no faceplate!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: ozzfest

You should have had a Mk3 SSFP fitted as described here. A new master socket should have been fitted if the one you had wasn't a Master Socket similar to the one on the left? The external wiring to the Master socket should have been inspected and replaced if not up to standard. The master socket should also have been fitted at your chosen location (within reason) if the current one was not suitable.
It's not an Ethernet connection but it contains a high quality filter for the phone (circuits) and the latest common-mode filter. The Fibre Modem plugs into the top socket on the plate. Any phone extension socket wiring is connected to the front plate, this is filtered and eliminates issues with wiring as well as obviating the need for additional filters at extension socket. The wiring aspects are of significant importance.
If the "engineer" did not do the job in that manner, and if you have a very old master socket Plusnet will need to get Openreach round to resolve the issue. IMHO the "engineer" was unprofessional (I hate calling these sub-contractors that, they are poorly trained techs at best - I assume it was a sub-contractor and not a genuine Openreach guy) in fact I would go as far as saying not doing the job correctly and not supplying the correct parts is fraudulent as they are paid by Openreach to do the job properly.
Just for information, here is a picture of all 3 recent SSFPs. Only the Mk3 should be used on new installs.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

The "ethernet" confusion is due to the use of RJ45 (8P8C) sockets on the faceplate, though the modem lead still has a RJ11 (6P2C) connector (used extensively for phone sockets outside the UK).
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

It looks like we've put you on the wrong fibre product.
I've placed a order to sort this which will complete tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What about the "engineer" not doing the correct job? A complaint needs to go to Openreach and they need to send an engineer to do the job properly.