Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre down

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: fibre down

Your broadband password is the same as your main Plusnet account and your main Plusnet email address if you set it up.
By Plusnet account I mean The member centre at the portal
AndyH
Grafter

You need to use username@plusdsl.net if you're not already doing so (appears not to be from that image you posted).
AdamD
Grafter

Tried that with the same password I log into my online account with but just fails atghhhhh
Anotherone
Champion

Obviously not read the Reconnect link I gave in reply #100  Roll_eyes
bobbydazzler
Dabbler

Reading through this thread there are some people who clearly know about these things, getting quite heated with people who have rebooted the OR modem as part of trying to fix the outage yesterday and stating that is not what they were told and why on earth would you do that etc.
Possibly, like I did, they may have been following the guidance on the Technicolor Modem fault page.  I can't repeat it now as all is well but when the internet was down yesterday a technicolor advisory page opened (can't remember if I logged into the router for that to happen, and its advice after rebooting the router was if that doesn't work, switch that and the modem off for 15 mins and try again.
The vast majority of people will not be on these forums, or like me only rarely and after the event to try and find out what went wrong.  Is the advice wrong, if so why is it there and what damage can I have done rebooting the modem?
nigel1971
Grafter

Still got issues here, browsing is very laggy and took an age to load stuff up this morning, everything was ok until the outage yesterday. Now lost 3 meg upload and download slightly down too.
Anotherone
Champion

@bobbydazzler
On Fibre you rarely ever ever need to touch the modem. A reboot of the modem CAN make the DLM thing you had a dropped connection and increase interleaving or slow you down. That is why it should only be done as an absolute last resort if all other things have been tried.
You should always log into the Router and Disconnect the Internet/PPP session first - this helps DLM see the sync drop as user initiated and doesn't leave a stale session which can sometime refuse to go away without action from Plusnet. It is uncommon, but it does happen.
You should ideally leave the modem off for an hour, and when you switch on wait until it's fully booted and lights stabilise before switching on the router, logging into it and clicking connect.
Ideally do it in daylight hours when noise levels are generally lower (or switch it off overnight and then back on in daylight).
Anotherone
Champion

@nigel1971
The network is still badly out of balance so this may be the cause of your issue - unless you rebooted the modem Shocked
Check which Gateway you are on
Taaketa
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
@bobbydazzler
On Fibre you rarely ever ever need to touch the modem. A reboot of the modem CAN make the DLM thing you had a dropped connection and increase interleaving or slow you down. That is why it should only be done as an absolute last resort if all other things have been tried.
You should always log into the Router and Disconnect the Internet/PPP session first - this helps DLM see the sync drop as user initiated and doesn't leave a stale session which can sometime refuse to go away without action from Plusnet. It is uncommon, but it does happen.

You should ideally leave the modem off for an hour, and when you switch on wait until it's fully booted and lights stabilise before switching on the router, logging into it and clicking connect.
Ideally do it in daylight hours when noise levels are generally lower (or switch it off overnight and then back on in daylight).

May want to elaborate more here as you are jumping from router to modem and that could be quite confusing for anyone not used to the terminology.
nigel1971
Grafter

@nigel1971
The network is still badly out of balance so this may be the cause of your issue - unless you rebooted the modem Shocked
Check which Gateway you are on

ptw-ag02
Taaketa
Grafter

I'm on BNG01 so cannot provide you with feedback regarding connection. I am very stable right now without any issues.
AndyH
Grafter

@ AdamD - Just to be 100% clear, are you using the username@plusdsl.net and not just username? You need to have the @plusdsl.net bit at the end. When logging into the Member Portal, you don't need the @plusdsl.net as you select the Provider from the drop down option.
anniesboy
Rising Star

I did not touch my modem but I guess many did ,especially if they got this as I did.
Sorry about double image
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Taaketa
May want to elaborate more here as you are jumping from router to modem and that could be quite confusing for anyone not used to the terminology.

Well, the modem is the box that is plugged into your NTE5 Master socket and the Router is the Box you plug your computer into. HTH  Wink
AdamD
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
@ AdamD - Just to be 100% clear, are you using the username@plusdsl.net and not just username? You need to have the @plusdsl.net bit at the end. When logging into the Member Portal, you don't need the @plusdsl.net as you select the Provider from the drop down option.