Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fiber speeds

FIXED
baccini
Grafter

fiber speeds

Hi originaly had 76mb line and achieved 54mb

now i have        66mb line and achieved 44mb why not 54mb?

16 REPLIES 16
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: fiber speeds

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post removed as bumping is against the Forum Rules.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @baccini and apologies for the delayed response. I've tested your line tonight and I can see your router is getting a speed of 51.7mbps which is below the current expectations of your line at between 52.8mbps to 75.3mbps. 

Could you run through our troubleshooting guides Here making sure your router is plugged into the test socket as explained Here. If you're still experiencing problems, please report a fault to us Here posting back afterwards. This will allow us to get the fault picked up for you as soon as possible. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
baccini
Grafter

Thanks for the response I currently have my own asus router in use,do I need to set up a plusnet router before I report a fault.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @baccini 

You don't need to use our router although it's probably a good idea to try another router so it may be worth plugging your Hub One into the test socket and let us know so we can retest your line. That way you'd kill two birds with one stone (Metaphorically of course, no birds will be harmed I hope) ruling out your internal wiring and your router.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
baccini
Grafter

ran b.t speed tests on both routers with almost identical results asus 42.77Mbps & hub one 42.54.test done from the main socket open reach MK2 which is the only socket we have.laptop wired directly on both tests.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You won't see an immediate increase in your throughput as the profile on your account wouldn't change that quickly. Can you confirm that your router is still in the test socket so I can retest your line?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
baccini
Grafter

Hi bt Mk 2 socket has no master socket i can cofirm its the only phone socket in the house and modem is directly plug in to it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

An Openreach MK2 should be a master socket and have a faceplate you can remove by unscrewing it. Behind the faceplate towards the bottom right hand corner you'll find the test socket.

If you don't see this can you post up a photo of the socket so I can advise further?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
baccini
Grafter

IMG_20200322_154811385_HDR.jpgIMG_20200322_160524691_HDR.jpg

baccini
Grafter

First photo show my normal connection second is using a black adapter give me no connection ie. no green light on the dsl (BT modem)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the photos, the adapter you're using doesn't look like a micro-filter. 

Was that what we supplied you with the Hub One? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
baccini
Grafter

never used filters since i had the new bt socket fitted.do you think i should be using filters?

baccini
Grafter

Ok ive set it up with a filter to the engineers connection

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Cheers, it's perfectly fine to use a micro-filter still and using the test socket would rule out any internal wiring including the faceplate from being faulty or confirming that to be the cause for the fault.

(I leave my own router at home permanently in the test socket)

Line tests are showing your sync speed has increased marginally though to 55.1mbps which is within expectations for the length and quality of your line back to the cabinet (The green box in the road)

I've increased a profile on your account to match this new sync rate, if you can drop the PPP session by doing a disconnect then reconnect in your router's settings, you should see a higher download speed afterwards.

To address the points you've made in your initial post, you're still on the 80/20 product. I think the confusion lies with the average speed of 66mbps we advertise Fibre Extra as. This is just an average speed across our fibre extra customer base and is just how we have to advertise packages, we can't say "up to 76mbps" anymore due to regulations.

What's more important are the actual expectations of your line shown on the BT Broadband Availability Checker Here.

If you'd want to use your own router going forward, I'd recommend next plugging that into the test socket before replacing the faceplate to try to figure out where the drop in speed is coming from.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet