cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extension for new install?

peterWX7

extension for new install?

Hi the engineer came today and said my old internet cable was not good enough to extend the modem from the kitchen telephone line  into my living room (about 10-15 metres). He said BT would cost £150 so I let him put them in the kitchen and am now relying on WiFi.
I got the more expensive 76mb fibre to get a better service. I don't think I am happy with my modem and router in the kitchen, which also means I have lost BBCi etc from my TV  Angry .
There must be a cheaper way to extend either the modem or the router 15 metres?
Wasn't expecting ths when I switched from BT  Sad
5 REPLIES 5
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: extension for new install?

I have my modem right next to the phone socket, as recommended, but the router (Asus) on the end of a 10 metre cat6. Works perfectly.
Let's be careful out there !
peterWX7

Quote from: Kremmen
I have my modem right next to the phone socket, as recommended, but the router (Asus) on the end of a 10 metre cat6. Works perfectly.

Thanks, is a cat6 an ethernet cable?
Terranova667
Pro

The modem ideally needs to be next to and connected to the master phone socket using as short as possible modem cable, the router can be anywhere up to 100 meters if using a cat 5/6/7 cable and yes they are Ethernet.
I'm not sure what cable you were using that the engineer said wasn't any good if it were a modem cable then yeah 10 -15m is pushing it especially if it's the standard flat type, I'm not sure why your master socket is in the Kitchen to begin with seems a strange place for it to be, but if that is where it is then leaving the modem there would be ideal then if you want to be wired rather than wireless put the modem in the living room and run a cat cable from that to the modem.
peterWX7

Quote from: Terranova667

I'm not sure what cable you were using that the engineer said wasn't any good if it were a modem cable then yeah 10 -15m is pushing it 

Hi, thanks. Yeah the cable was a telephone extension and went through the wall, so was something around 4-6 meters. But I am going to go with yours and  Kremmens advice.
Just checked and I can run a cable through the hole in the wall that is already there, and saw a kit on Ebay for a cutter, crimping tool and 10 RJ45 connectors for under a fiver and a ready made 5e cable for a couple of quid. So I can feed the cable through the wall and then just crimp a connector on the other end. So 4-6 meters and job done Smiley
Terranova667
Pro

high yeah that would do well just make sure you get the order of the wires in the connectors correct  to make a straight through Ethernet  cable not a crossover,  here is a nice guide to help you out if you don't know already how to make one. http://www.groundcontrol.com/galileo/ch5-ethernet.htm