cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exchange congestion - varying speeds?

herojan
Grafter

exchange congestion - varying speeds?

I was wondering what the symptoms of exchange congestion were?
Every so often (maybe once a week) my speed seems to drop and pages take quite a while to load (sometimes less than a minute sometimes a minute or 2), sometimes this lasts maybe half an hour and then it is fine. When this happens I do a speed test and the speed is all over the place.
Here are some examples, but it can be worse than this

Here is another example

I usually notice this occurs in the evening when I an online around 8 - 9.30.
This week I have been off work and I noticed it occurred yesterday morning, yesterday evening and this morning. It could be happening at other times but I would not k now.
I was on ADSL2+ until last monday when I changed over to Fibre (38mb). For ADSL I had a tp-link modem-router, now I have a Hub 1.  This has occurred with both.
My Hub 1 has had a rock solid connection since it connection last monday, a couple of reconnects were me.
Usually my laptop is connection via an wireless AP ('n'), but I have also tried this on more than one android device and also with a wired connection. I have tried a different AP and also different wireless channels.
It hasn't caused any issues with video streaming.
I realise that other people have worse problems than me and it really doesn't case much of an issue but I am interested in what the cause might be.

3 REPLIES 3
nadger
Rising Star

Re: exchange congestion - varying speeds?

Looks very similar to problem I had with initial install of fibre.
Good speed up until early evening when 36Mbps became 4Mbps up until past 10pm
I was moved to different equipment and problem vanished.
Don't know where congestion was but worth raising a ticket

herojan
Grafter

I shall bear that in mind, but it is not all the time, just every so often, and I've seen it a few times when I had ADSL.
herojan
Grafter

even worse tonight:

maybe it is the wifi. I've just changed the channel to 'smart' and its moved from 11 to 6 and it is much better. I shall have to monitor it and see, it could have just got better again.