cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

evidence plusnet are throttling

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: evidence plusnet are throttling

It occurred to me that the BT Wholesale Speedtest was updated recently and that I hadn't checked to see whether the new tester performed (for me) as badly as the previous version.

The new BTW test says my download speed is 22.1Mbps,  DSLReports says 60.1Mbps

Guess which one matched the WAN port traffic graph in my pfSense router ?

welsh_andy
Grafter

Tbh I only ever check it when connection feels slow, like last night I tried to watch ps5 reveal I was down to 480p and tried various channels to confirm something was up, even if my speed was reporting at 12mbs
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Anonymous 

Have you tried the BTw speedtest from a different browser? It only used to work properly on Microsoft's but I thought that this had been fixed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

welsh_andy
Grafter

I use 3. Browsers. Chrome, Firefox and edge which is chromium in reality
Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft browsers aren't much use to me as I'm 100% Linux these days.

However, I do have a very old Ubuntu PC with Firefox version 11.0, and that did give representative results last time I tried with the previous tester. However with the new tester BT changed from HTTP to HTTPS which breaks Firefox 11.0 as the version of SSL used isn't supported.

My issues with the BT Wholesale Speedtest started when browsers started being multi-threaded,  the old single thread versions browsers seemed to still work fine.  It was curious that on the previous tester on a multi-threaded browser, that the progress display of the upload and download tests didn't match the timing of the network activity, so it was no surprise that the results were always wrong.

In theory I believe it is possible to disable multi-threading in Firefox, but life to too short to have to change low level browser configurations to run the occasional speedtest.

welsh_andy
Grafter

That's interesting. Cheers
welsh_andy
Grafter

so tonight im down badly again, i tried dslreports, and news is grim reading, btws was giving around 20mb's which i know was false as i cant watch any live streams as usual.

64479498.png

welsh_andy
Grafter

Actually spoke to a nice person finally at Plusnet, phoned up to find how much cancellation was, good news was only 27 quid, so will try ghostgb as only 12 month contract 30quid for approx 76mbs
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@welsh_andy 

Does the £30 include the mandatory  £10 line charge that ISP Preview says is excluded from the cost? Is a telephone service included or is it just a broadband service?

Anyway good luck, as you will still be connected through the Openreach infrastructure it would be really interesting to hear from you after you've moved to know if your problem is fixed or has followed you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@welsh_andy wrote:
... will try ghostgb as only 12 month contract 30quid for approx 76mbs

Before you sign up for a 76Mbs contract elsewhere, are you sure that your line can theoretically do more than the 38Mbps that the BT Wholesale Checker is showing as your IP profile ?.

If you put your phone number into the BT Broadband Availability Checker  what are the values shown for "VDSL Range A" and "VDSL Range B" ?

If the 'high' downstream rates are not much more than 40Mbps, then it might be a better idea to go for a 40Mbps or 55Mbps contract and not pay for premium speeds if your line can't achieve anything like 76Mbps.

You might as well pay for the speed grade that your line is capable of, and assuming that your line slowdown doesn't continue with another ISP if they are also using BT Openreach FTTC connectivity to your house.

welsh_andy
Grafter

So looking at it. It says high 78.3 on A

And 76 on the B if that makes sense
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Your PN profile will be the same as ghost gamer (make no difference!) Plusnet FTTC on DLM profile is set on speed by default the same as ghost gamer! You wouldn't notice any hardly difference. I was with PN FTTC since 2014 and never has any issues as PN do not traffic managed or throttling on it.

welsh_andy
Grafter

Tbh it's worth the try can't cope with these 18 month contract, my speed was in single figures last night, so called it a day, not just because if speed, but the woeful tech support, same repliy everytime, it's like it's a different person everytime that doesn't look at the problem, it's worst I've come across in my many yrs of internet. It's like nobody cares
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Rubbish, PN do not have any traffic managed! Where is your proof? Since 2014 I have downloaded but see no traffic managed on it?

Getting nearly 8.0Mb/s transfer rate on downloaded for FTTC 80Meg and all streaming UHD 4k are fine on Netflix, BBCI & Youtube player on TV.

mundiz
Hooked

I have just had a call from Plusnet support to ask how my Broadband speeds are performing. I told them that it’s the same as it’s been for the past 3 months. I’m getting 41mbs down and 16mbs up even though I’m paying for Premium Broadband and should’ve getting between 50mbs and 75mbs. She then informed me that my line is being throttled to a maximum of 44mbs. I was dumbfounded and she asked if I had been informed of this previously. I said no and she apologised and said I should have been told. She then said that she will take the cap off my line. I await in anticipation to see what happens next.