Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emerging router issue?

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

emerging router issue?

Been away today for work, but  wife rang me in the morning telling me we had no internet. Did usual over the phone checking lights were on modem and router.  She says that laptop and tablet were reporting the network was there but just couldn't connect to it. She left it till I came home, still the same. After various troubleshooting I rebooted the router and all fine again. Stupidly I didnt check if the wired devices were connected. This is the second such symptom in as many weeks. Could this be a router on the way out.... I woukd be disappointed,  as I have only had it since I got fibre in feb. Woukd have thought the sagem would have lasted for longer.  Anyone any thoughts....
9 REPLIES 9
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: emerging router issue?

I'm not sure the router is on the way out, was it ever on the way in, I ask?
There are a few threads on this, ADSL & Hardware boards where people are having a variety of issues, this could be yet another.
If you login to it using http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html does the >Device Info >DHCP page give the hostname for the problematic devices as "Unknown"? Are the devices listed there the same as the Homepage under My Home Network?
(see screen grabs for guidance).
hulls
Grafter

Hi
This looks the same as the problem that I've been experiencing. Devices say they are still connected to the network, but there is no internet access. I assumed for that reason, that the Openreach modem was at fault, and would still assume that was the case. We have no access to the modem, only the router. Internet has dropped out on me three times this morning, so I also wasn't sure, if there was an issue with the, so I will be reporting it.
John
Anotherone
Champion

hulls, penfold said he rebooted the Router and that fixed his issue. Did that not work in your case?
I had assumed that he was using the 2704n, but looking back through a few of his recent posts, he maybe using the TG582n.
penfold, if that's the non-USB version that you've flashed with the FTTC firmware, there is a possibility that might be causing the problem. If you can borrow another Router to try and see if that resolves it.
IIRC, your set-up is quite complex, so I wouldn't bother with the 2704n because of it's current lack of features - unless you have successfully set it up in your network - which I'm thinking is unlikely Huh
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks anotherone...
I am currently using the Sagem offering, as I had to simplify the network, due to redecoration, and still not got around to putting everything back together Roll_eyes
I havnt flashed the 585 unit I have at the min, as the Sagem worked out of the box, for what I needed it for currently.
I will have a look at the Expert user webpages tonight, and post back what it says.  With regards to the problematic devices, all wirless devices refused to connect, but saw the network fine. When I tried to connect them, the device tried to connect, but failed.  Sorry for not trying the wired device, my wife needed to access internet, so as always, that was the priority Crazy
Currently on the network is 1 laptop, 1 tablet, and a Sky box wired. Everything else is currently disconnected.
I think its time to reflash the 585 unit methinks.  Plusnet are going to have to look at the Sagem unit, as its causing more problems than its fixing.  Very un-savvy customers, could potentially flood the call centre, if this becomes more widespread.....
Anotherone
Champion

Judging by phone answer times here that could have happened. But right now is a good time to phone apparently. Wink
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Ok. Just had a look at the settings for dhcp. Very odd. My tablet is logged as unknown with a lease time of 0 seconds. My phone which has just connected is detected as an android device. Up until a couple of seconds ago, the sky box wasnt even detected, even though its freely accessing the internet just fine. Now its detected, this has a lease time of 0 seconds. A bug or something more fundamentally wrong with the firmware? ?Huh
Anotherone
Champion

It's certainly a bug, no getting away from it, but something fundamentally wrong with the firmware, difficult to say. I think there would be a body of opinion that would say yes.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

@anotherone
going to flash the 585n I have with fttc firmware. If you know, do I need the 10.2.5.2 eo or fo. Also my 585n has no usb port, does this matter.
thanks for the help.
Anotherone
Champion

Do you mean 585 or 582n, you won't have much luck flashing a 585 with 582n firmware, in fact you may brick it!
I haven't tried the F0, but there's only minor changes from E0 mainly to do with multimedia and the few comments I've seen imply it's OK. As for it being on a non-USB model, it will go on and will work, but, I was reading a recent post where someone has done this and it had been working but subsequently got locked up at some point and a reboot was needed, whether that's because of the missing bits of hardware in the non-usb version, I wouldn't like to say. Give it a go if it is the 582n.