Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dslam reset?

jan
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

dslam reset?

Hello,

We  moved into a new house last October and had our FTTP FTTC transferred straight away.  We are close to the box and were getting 75mbs.  However we had some walls taken out and a  new consumer unit and a rewire & all sorts of other work going on for 4 months ans some more electrical stuff recently when having the kitchen fitted.

This meant the router was frequently disconnected or the electrics turned off. I knew this would negatively affect the speed. All the work has stopped and the router has remained on for 6-8 weeks now.  Our speed is currently 49mbs.

Can we get  the line to re-train now that we have finished all building /  electrical work?

cheers,Jan

Edited for stupidity. 😕

21 REPLIES 21
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: dslam reset?

If you're FTTP, I don't think this would be affected by the disconnects as the fibre is terminated in your house and there is no Digitial Line Management applied.

It sounds like you have FTTC from what you say, in which case the DLM could have banded the line to stabilize the connection. From what I remember Plusnet can't reset this, is has to be done by an Openreach engineer.

Maybe someone on the Plusnet staff @Anoush or @Chris could run a GEA test for you and see if its a line fault which is causing the lower sync speed.

jan
Rising Star

Sorry having a complete brain meltdown. I meant FTTC!!

I'll edit my post..

thanks

jan
Rising Star

Presumably it can be done remotely though? I should think enough people end up in a similar situation with building work after moving to allow for some procedure to retrain the line?

From what I remember Plusnet can't reset this, is has to be done by an Openreach engineer.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It used to be the case that a line reset could only be performed by an OR engineer after they had fixed a fault but that may be changing soon according to a recent post in this forum.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

If you can persuade plusnet to move you to a different product (eg. 40/2 fibre) and then back again to your original product, that will unofficial reset the DLM.
I've had this done twice, at different ISP's, which successful reset my profile. 

jan
Rising Star

I thought I would try the BTW line test.

The initial test gives ~44mbps but it says it is unable to run the diagnostics on my line?

mikelahey
Pro

A couple of things you could look at are:
What speeds the BTW checker says you should get?
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Also can you see what the downstream SNR is on your router. (If you are using a white Openreach modem you won't be able to get this.)
jan
Rising Star

That says high

(a) 80

(b) 75

low

(a) 64.5

(b) 41.7

My exchange is listed as b impacted by thinkbroadband

As I say, I am sure the low speed is simply because we had to constantly turn the router off during building / electrical works when we moved in.  It was initially connecting at 72 - 75mbps, but within a week of connection we had electricians & builders in for 4 months. So the line was trained on a router that was constantly being turned off.

All the building work is finished now though, but the line remains at 44-49mbps.

I am using a billion bipac 7800n which doesn't have any options to see line noise etc...

[edit] and the plusnet supplied router is the worthless locked down white homehub.

mikelahey
Pro

Whether your line is impacted or not is a line based stat not exchange based. I think what you saw on TBB was Market B which means that BT don't have a monopoly in your area.

On the basis of your previous sync, I would assume you aren't impacted unless the BTW checker shows bridge taps at the bottom.
If I were you, I'd raise a fault with PNet given that you are syncing below the threshold for range A.
jan
Rising Star

Are the only choices chat & phone?

What happened to a good old ticket system? There are several of us here watching a movie. I just want to use some contact form I can fill out without disturbing the family <sigh>

jan
Rising Star

just tried Live chat, but it sits there saying "connecting" for 10 minutes.

I really hate trying to contact plusnet!

mikelahey
Pro

If you are using an add blocker, turn it off for the Plusnet website as it can stop chat from working, otherwise it's phone.
jan
Rising Star

I turned it all off.

I am autistic and find communicating with live people very, very hard. I also have tennis elbow so am typing slowly with one finger of my left hand.

jan
Rising Star

If anyone else struggles with live chat or speaking to people this link allows you to report a fault in more traditional style.

https://faults.plus.net/