cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drop in speed - went from range A (clean) to range B (impacted)

KS25
Grafter

drop in speed - went from range A (clean) to range B (impacted)

around the time plusnet made the first set of changes to the new network, a few weeks ago now, i lost roughly 6-7mb downstream and 2-3mb upstream

now, i thought nothing of it, that it would fix itself as plusnet sorted stuff out... but using dslchecker to check the speeds i could get, i appear to be in the "impacted" range B instead of the range A i had been on for 2 years prior

what usually causes this, and what can be done about it?

11 REPLIES 11
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: drop in speed - went from range A (clean) to range B (impacted)

Hey,

A loss in speed could be down to a large number of things aside from moving to the new network. Can you post up the results of a Speed Test result please?

KS25
Grafter

@Pettitto  http://www.speedtest.net/result/5661012798.png

upload looks a bit higher on this, i was seeing 3 to 4 on the wholesale test

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

What speeds were you getting before, just so I can can compare?

KS25
Grafter

@Pettitto consistent 38/7, did multiple speed tests a week cause of connection problems with apps i use and it was always steady at just under the advertised speed

KS25
Grafter

@Pettitto  do you have any information about my problem? i did report a fault quite a few days ago so i hope they find something... if not then i'm stuck on a line performing at below plusnets estimate (which is the range A from dslchecker)

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There's no fault currently open on your account, I can see there was discussion about something similar but no fault report. Can you report one at https://faults.plus.net and let us know when you can done so.

I've posted a follow up below.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Testing your line is showing you are connected within the estimates too, so it'll actually be unlikely we'll be able to progress this as a fault if I'm honest.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 45 32.4 9.1 6.4 -- Available -- --

The estimates are above and related to the sync speed of your line, which is currently 33.5Mb/s

escription GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 33.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 7.1 Mbps
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
KS25
Grafter

@Chris  what are you using to speed test my line? speed tests i'm running consistently come up with 30/6... with BT wholesale test reporting speeds of 28/2 and indicating that my downstream profile is 32.4 (minimum of A and maximum of B), so which is it?

what happened to my line? i was running at a solid sync speed of 37/7 (roughly) for over 2 years and then plusnet change something on the new network and my downstream takes a hit and my upstream takes a small hit

it seems more likely to suggest that i'm connected within the estimates of the B range, not the A range... which is why i made this thread, something seems wrong

KS25
Grafter

@Chris  i see now, i've gone into my hub settings and found the sync speed that correlates with the numbers you've provided, but the actual speed i get is slightly lower than that, at 31.09/6.34, both are lower than the very lowest of 'Range A'

i'm not fussed really, i can tolerate my downstream abruptly going from 36 to 31 (real speed i get), i just want to know why because i was at 38 (sync) for over 2 years... was this change made on purpose by plusnet for some reason?

Chris
Legend

i'm not fussed really, i can tolerate my downstream abruptly going from 36 to 31 (real speed i get), i just want to know why because i was at 38 (sync) for over 2 years... was this change made on purpose by plusnet for some reason?

That wouldn't be of any benefit to us, so no it's not something we've done. Line conditions change and the lines are constantly monitored by the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) equipment, which will make alterations depending on whether it sees errors or problems to keep the line stable.

KS25
Grafter

@Chris it coincided (or seemed to) with a change to the new network made a few weeks ago...

if that has nothing to do with it, then what was changed to cause this alteration to my speed at this given time? can you say for certain it was the DLM?

because i used to get frequent drops, at least once a day and up to 3 a day (4 being your suppliers problem number), now my line has been synced for almost 4 days without a drop... so if the DLM poked its nose into my line and decided something was wrong after 2 years of getting these drops, then i'm thankful for it, those drops were the bane of my existence, always happening at very inconvenient times

cheers