Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drop in download and upload speeds

griff75201
Hooked

drop in download and upload speeds

Hi

Been a member for 10 plus years but had to make a new account to get on these forums for some reason but any way I am here 

noticed about 2 weeks a go my upload has dropped from a consistant 18mbps down to 12 mbps. Was not to bothered about the upload speed as its not critical for me  but download is a different story. My download was as usual at 74.1 mbps which it has been for many months. I check speeds regularly and was keeping an eye on the download and noticed over the last 2 days my download has started to drop. It is now at 71.2.

I have checked the speed on my other 2 computers and speed is the same so it seems to be your end as nothing has changed at all in my house. Can one of the support guys have a look to see if there have been any drops that I have not seen please. At your leisure as i expect you guys are busy.

And before you say the speeds are within the guide lines for my broadband I know they are but seeing a drop on both up and down may be pointing to a fault that i need to fix before it gets any worse

thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Phar
Dabbler

Re: drop in download and upload speeds

My speeds have dropped from 71.1Mb to 45.2Mb. My minimum guaranteed speed is 44.6Mb. Because I'm 600Kb above the minimum guranteed speed, Support say there is nothing to investigate.

I wish you luck my friend.

griff75201
Hooked

wow...that is a big drop. At the end of the day I have asked if they can see any drops in connection that only they can see. If they have then i know its something beyond my router causing the problem Sometimes the exchange will drop the speed because they see something unstable on my line so there could be a fault. If you dont ask the question you dont get the answer .

griff75201
Hooked

interesting, dropped connection this morning at 1.30ish for a few seconds. Came back on , went to bed and got up at 8.50 , switched pc on and no connection for a bout 30 seconds. Checked speeds and saw ping was about 25ms, usually it is 15ms, download was 71.1 but saw upload back up to 18mbps. Are you guys  working on something. Also noticed when doing the speed test it usually defaults to a manchester ip but now it is saying that best nearest ip is gloucester.

While typing this I lost connection again, it said a wan connection error, can not connect to ppoe .  any ideas?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

As I've posted elsewhere in this Forum my speeds have dropped steadily over the last few months by about 8-10Mbps on an original speed of about 47Mbps which if my maths is right is about 18-20%? that's quite considerable. I don't feel that speeds will improve, I think the opposite is true.

I cannot see why this is an accepted or acceptable state of affairs. Previously my current speed was below acceptable and would have had a Engineer visit, today it is no longer a fault.

How slow will it eventually become? How much slower can acceptable speeds be driven down? 

If it drops below my contracted minimum I get intervention. My guess is it might get close, but it won't be allowed to drop below. 

Phar
Dabbler

The current party line from Support seems to be 'if you're above the guranteed minimum speed, its not a fault'.

My speeds have dropped from 71Mb to 45Mb. I'm 600Kb above the minimum speed and after my 2 support tickets spanning 6 months worth of back and forth, the response I've basically received is 'Tough'

griff75201
Hooked

the openreach modem had a fit earlier and was losing connection, dont know if bt are doing something on the line but i checked the rj11 cable to see if there was any damage any where as it is 10 mts long and goes through the wall into the next room and connects to the phone socket, I had a bit of a change round last week and moved my equipment about. I noticed that the cable was very tight at the phone socket so i loosend it off. Back on line now but not sure if the cable was faulting out. Ordered a new cable now so will replace it just in case