cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

downgrade to 40 meg service

teabag31
Dabbler

downgrade to 40 meg service

Just wondering if Plusnet would let me downgrade to the 40 meg service from Unlimited Fibre Extra im in contract, as when i first got it installed it was around 60 meg download speed and now i have a current line speed of 51.4 but actual download speed is 45 meg with a wired connection, my speed could be slow because we get loads of power cuts here or maybe this is just the speed we can get. 

24 REPLIES 24
teabag31
Dabbler

Re: downgrade to 40 meg service

also ive just noticed this has gone from 48 yesterday to 39
Estimated line speed:
    39Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-02-22 07:36:26
Current line speed:
    51.4 Mb
so are plusnet estimating that its going to get worse.
picbits
Rising Star

My estimated is 45Mb, my current is 65Mb
Not quite sure how they work it out but I suspect I'm getting somewhere inbetween. I'm sure a member of staff will be along and clarify the situation.
teabag31
Dabbler

just rang them up nothing can be done so now on the phone to ask to be put on the 40 meg service but dont hold out to much hope being in contract, when we ordered it i went by what people were getting around me and what the wholesale checker says ie high 50s 60 meg so we went for the 80meg service but its degraded down to 45 meg download so being on 40 meg service would now make sense.
the guy on the phone doesnt now why the estimated line speed has dropped overnight from 48 to 39.
AndyH
Grafter

The estimates change because your line is continually being monitored by DLM. If your line suddenly sees a change in performance, this will be reflected in the estimates several days later.
It's worth Plusnet doing a line check to see if they can see any clear faults.
teabag31
Dabbler

well just spoken to someone and said we can downgrade to 40 so think we may as well didnt think we would be able to only 4 months into our contract, cant see the speed going up probably will get even slower and 40 meg is fast to us as we only got 1.5 meg with adsl lol.
the fibre only went live in our village 1 year ago and i know the other cabnet not ours was over subscribed not long ago and they had to stop taking orders so maybe this is the problem with the cab we are on, when your max is 1.5 meg everyone wants fibre.
teabag31
Dabbler

Quote from: AndyH
The estimates change because your line is continually being monitored by DLM. If your line suddenly sees a change in performance, this will be reflected in the estimates several days later.
It's worth Plusnet doing a line check to see if they can see any clear faults.

thanks andy h the tech guy said he had checked everything nothing can be done Sad no disconnects in last 20 days he said its probably due to more people subscribing to fibre.
AndyH
Grafter

If you run the BT Speed Tester http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and Further Diagnostics, what's your downstream IP Profile?
If your speeds have dropped a lot lower than your estimate, they should be able to look into why this is the case. Sometimes there may be an issue picked up.
teabag31
Dabbler

this is what i get
Download speedachieved during the test was - 45.24 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 32.56 Mbps-46.52 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 46.52 Mbps
Dhaos
Grafter

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/10/bt-clarifies-unusual-broadband-speed-estimates-uk-fttc-...

It differs from person to person, i have had Fibre for 2 years now, i got a original estimate of 66 meg and i am syncing at 77.47, the estimate is still 66.
stoswald
Grafter

Dhaos,  that is very lucky  20mths on Fibre & my line speed has gone from 74mb to 47mb, the majority of that drop in the last few months - either Openreach have been very busy or something is amiss.  Also have the same problem with a sliding profile that keeps within BT's no fault here.

teabag31
Dabbler

and yet again another speed drop overnight
was 51.4 now Current line speed of 45.2 Mb, download speed is 42 wired Angry

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I've been suffering speed dropping issues which today PlusNet agree has fallen (slightly, 5Mbs?) below my expected minimum. An engineer visit could maybe determine a cause. I've had a lot of engineer visits, and they are successful to degrees, not least that you tend to get a reset when speeds return  and interleaving is switched off, but then they start to slow down, and within days or weeks, back I am again at the same place.
Ping times are increasing, have done every day for a fortnight, I guess that could indicate a fault, or tell a techie where to look.
PlusNet suggested that switching to the lesser service might be beneficial as that's where the speed drops to, but would that simply mean seeing those speeds drop by the same proportion, or is the lower standard more stable?
PlusNet suggest a 40/20 service. Would this be limited to 40 up and 20 down, or would this be a bottom line, with faster possible/likely?
I'd just like a stable, reliable, fast connection. Wouldn't we all!!
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@danludlow no its all the same technology capped at 40Mbps not pro rata Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I had no problems downgrading mid-contract from 80/20 unlimited to 40/10 unlimited when that was announced.  As I can't get better than 30mbps it seemed worth saving the £5 a month.
The only thing to bear in mind is that it resets the clock  ie it's a new 18-month contract.