cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do i really need 2 modems a bt one and plusnet one

discomanian
Hooked

do i really need 2 modems a bt one and plusnet one

am really fed up having a bt open reach and a plusnet modem , can i do without one do plusnet have a new modem they use now or am i going to have to change companies as am fed up with the 2 boxes and cables

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: do i really need 2 modems a bt one and plusnet one

The Plusnet Hub One will replace both boxes. If you are in a position to renew your contract then you can probably get one for the cost of Post & Packing. However they are not worth the £100ish that PN charge. Instead get a BT Smart Hub 6 from Ebay (make sure it is the FTTC version, which has four yellow LAN sockets without one of them having a WAN sticker fixed to one of them) and set it up for your PN account. This should cost you about £40 and is a better device then the PN offering. You will find full details on how to set it up in the Router forum.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

tiffy
Rising Star

Any VDSL2 (fibre) compliant router/modem will give you a "one box" solution, as "Baldrick1" advises, the Plusnet Hub One, which is actually a re-badged BT HH5a, will fulfill that roll and in my limited experience using this during ADSL / VDSL migration with PN it certainly worked quite well on my line.
Again, I would agree with "Baldrick1" and certainly would not pay £100 for a PN Hub One (HH5a).

Many VDSL2 router/modems are available, it very much depends on what you want to pay and what level of line monitoring (if indeed any) you require, the PN Hub One has very limited stat's monitoring capabilities as it does not use a Broadcom chip set, the reason I opted not to use mine.

The best place to look is on the "kitz" web site / forum, there you will find excellent guidance on router/modem choice depending on what your requirements are.

If you should be interested in monitoring your line stat's then the BT Huawei HG612 modem I presume you are currently using with your separate router will provide this facility (after unlocking), again the kitz web site gives full details on this.

discomanian
Hooked

thanks for your help the bt one sounds fine and as u say reasonable on ebay

discomanian
Hooked

just found a brand new plusnet one hub on ebay £17.50 sorted thanks

tiffy
Rising Star

You can always flog your Huawei HG612 for a few quid, there is still a market for them, preferebly the 3B model !

discomanian
Hooked

Wow just checked they go for as much as my new Plusnet One Hub on ebay nice

Am hopping will be easy for me to set this hub up Im not the best at these things

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps edited as per Forum rules.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Make sure it is a HG612 3b that you have to sell not the ECI equivalent that were also used. These cannot easily be unlocked and therefore are not very sellable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

discomanian
Hooked

thanks will do 

tiffy
Rising Star

Yes, apologies, made the assumption that your BT modem was a Huawei HG612, towards the end of the fibre "managed install" era BT/OR were mostly supplying ECI modems even on Huawei FTTC cabinets so there are still quite a lot in use.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there. The Hub One should be fairly straightforward to setup. With that said, you'd need to login to the router settings at 192.168.1.254 setting it up with yourusername@pludsl.net and your account password.

Alternatively, we'd be happy to supply with the a new Hub One for the postage fee of £6.99. -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet