cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnections and problems reconnecting on fibre using own router

wolfmanii

disconnections and problems reconnecting on fibre using own router

Hi,
      for the last couple of weeks my system has been having some disconnection issues. The BT Openreach modem appears OK and sync'd but my router (TPLink) will not reconnect after being disconnected until at least 1 hour has passed. The TPLink has worked fine for a number of years, connecting virtually straight away.
I then thought that that the issue was the router, so replaced it with a newer TPLink c20i that I had around and this has the same 'connecting.....' issue.
If I connect the old Technicolor 582n, this syncs up straight away (2 mins).
What is going on?
The Technicolor is too slow for the wireless video streaming my family wish to do, but currently seems to be the only device that works.
Should I give up and move ISP's to get a more modern router?
11 REPLIES 11
davenos
Rising Star

Re: disconnections and problems reconnecting on fibre using own router

You could always buy a new router and hook that up to the Openreach modem or even buy an all in one such as the Home Hub 5 and ditch the Openreach modem i bought one of eBay for £30 and it works great.
MelRocks
Grafter

Hi @wolfmanii,
As the TG582n connects fine, this says to me the issue lies with the TPLink connection and not the line. It may be worth speaking to TPLink to see what they can suggest.
Other than that, you may want to speak to Customer Options to discuss a possible new deal, and the possibility of a new router from ourselves. They're available on 0800 013 2632. Thank you.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@wolfmanii,
Did you  'disconnect' via the web interface on the TG582 before unplugging it ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wolfmanii

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. But maybe my explanation needs clarifying.
TPlink (original) has worked for 3+ years, no problem. Suddenly there is an issue. First thought is it is failing.
Replacement TPlink c20i, same issue. Made sure it has latest firmware. Has connected no problems in the past.Less than 1 year old.
Why suddenly do they not work. Bit of a coincidence that two TPLinks would go wrong at the same time with the same fault when they worked OK in the past.
TG582 works fine in connecting, just is slow.
MelRocks
Grafter

Hi @wolfmanii,
I understand exactly what you are saying, which is why I have said as the TG582n works fine it must be something specific to the TPLink routers. Possibly it not fully establishing connection? I'm not sure specifically but this is why I suggest contacting TPLink.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

but my router (TPLink) will not reconnect after being disconnected until at least 1 hour has passed.
Is that still the case ? i.e it will connect after an hour or does it not connect at all ? If it's the hour then that sounds a bit like a 'stale session' , hence why I asked if a controlled 'disconnect' had been performed prior to unplugging the TG582n. Doing the controlled disconnect should ensure that there is no session active and thus no wait for a timeout.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wolfmanii

OK, see what your saying. Not tried to go back to tplink after TG582, so unsure if the time out thing is due to a stale session or not. Will investigate further to see if this is the case.
Still confused why 2 tplink routers of different models would suddenly stop working with same fault. Has plusnet changed any connection settings recently that manually have thrown my routers off being stable but their own routers will adapt?
Don't want to buy another router if I end up with the same issue.
Last year had a fault and no one would believe me that there was an issue until an engineer spent 2 hours on my system and ended up building his own network in his van using my copper connection in small green box to DSLAM's in fibre box. Then replicated fault and discovered the DSLAM rack I was connected to was faulty and he moved me to a new rack. Openreach then came and replaced the rack.
MelRocks
Grafter

We've not changed any settings on your line and as the TG582n is working it is very unlikely to be an issue with your line.
However, it is worth trying the TPLink again. Thank you.
wolfmanii

OK, disconnecting connection via TG582 and reconnecting TPLink, this sync'd straight away.
I will see how long it lasts. Normally 5 days or so. If it goes again I will try using the old router to close the stale session and then swap to the new router.
May still investigate new router/ISP. See if there any good deals out there....
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ah! Thought it might. In order to establish the PPPoE connection a router sends PADI packets to attempt to locate the server. These are broadcast packets whose source is the MAC address of the router. If you have a session that hasn't disconnected, then when you change router the PADI packets arrive from a different MAC address and are probably ignored. Once the session is disconnected (manually or timeout) then the new PADI packets will be accepted.
Anyway hopefully the tplink will work OK now.

wolfmanii

Thanks for the advice. Just see what happens next.