Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

decreased download speed / new router TP link VR900 V2

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: decreased download speed / new router TP link VR900 V2

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing speed problems Chris.

Unfortunately we don't have any control over the actual IP profile of the line. The profile that Emily changed was the connection profile on your account, which generally always matches the IP profile.

As your speeds are within expectations it may just be a waiting game, because any fault we raise to our suppliers would ultimately result in a request to book an engineer as there's little that either we or BTwholesale can do remotely for fibre.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
coxie1984
Dabbler

Hi Anoush 

Thank you for the feedback.

At least now I starting to feel that it's not just me going insane but that something has happened with the speeds I've been sent since the middle of October.

can you see on your side when / how my profile was changed from c80mb to the 73.7mb? is it likely that a change from Plusnet would have adjusted the IP Profile that OR has set for me? bar forcing a line reset is it just a case of keeping everything switched on and waiting for DLM to sort this out?

It's a real shame, as I'd be really happy to stick with you guys beyond my term - I was recommended and passed on a recommendation, so you do work out as a good value choice VS the closest competitors.

To be honest my mind is wandering towards G Fast now and related or not I have found that gaming can be up and down with you / on my line.

I'm on line rental saver till Feb and then in contract till November - do you know if there is a way to leave either based on the speeds being set below the 78mb promised by BT or by paying a penalty?

It would be good to understand the response to my questions.and recommendations on getting my line back to the original standard 

Cheers

Chris 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Chris.

can you see on your side when / how my profile was changed from c80mb to the 73.7mb?

Unfortunately we can't see historic data for the IP profile.

As well as the banding showing at 80/20, we can see the BRAS profile set at 75.9mbps.

is it likely that a change from Plusnet would have adjusted the IP Profile that OR has set for me? bar forcing a line reset is it just a case of keeping everything switched on and waiting for DLM to sort this out?

I'm afraid that nothing we do on your account will have any impact on your line, so the change we made to your connection profile won't have done anything if the IP profile is lower than it. It'd likely be a waiting game for DLM.

I'm on line rental saver till Feb and then in contract till November - do you know if there is a way to leave either based on the speeds being set below the 78mb promised by BT or by paying a penalty?

Guaranteed speeds refer to the line speed/sync rate, not throughput I'm afraid, so if you'd like to leave us within an agreed contract term you'll need to pay an early termination charge as defined Here.

To be honest my mind is wandering towards G Fast now and related or not I have found that gaming can be up and down with you / on my line.

While I understand the desire for faster speeds, in my opinion there shouldn't be anything you can't do on for example 70mbps that you can do on 80mbps.

I personally receive about 45mbps shared between 4 people averaging TB's of usage per month and have very little issues while gaming.

What issues specifically are you experiencing whilst gaming and what games do you have the issues with?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
coxie1984
Dabbler

Thanks Anoush 

for the throughout feedback - It is very much appreciate - these forums have so far been excellent it working through this.

me and my housemate are primarily using a PS4 Pro - this is hard wired currently using a CAT 6 cable direct to the modem/router (I also brought a CAT5E cable and find that the speed is slightly more stable on CAT 6).

MTU is adjusted to 1492 (checked and tested with max CMD test MTU being 28 lower) with all other connections as automatic.

I use UpNp and have an open NAT - I've also tried DMZ and port forwarding.

the cable from the master socket to the modem/router has been replaced with a twisted shielded J11 cable - based on advise from the last BT engineer.

The problem in games 

worst is Call of Duty games - BOP 3 / 4 and WW2 

sometimes I'm fast, sometimes I'm slow - playing Hardcore mode sometimes there is a notable delay in throwing grenades / hit markers - sometimes it feels like I have the upper-hand - weirdly it seems like many of the games I play there is one team in TDM who has a massive advantage with ratios of 4+ VS a team who barely hit 1. My concern is that the internet connection is going up and down and not just impacting my connection but the connection in the wider game.

in Battlefront 2 / Battlefield games 

it is the inconsistency of bullet power - sometimes opponents die with 1 / 3 hits - sometimes it feels like I have a nurf gun.

I believe my old BT OR modem / N66U had a fault as when I upgraded to the VR900 V2 COD WW2 was steady and consistent and felt fair - PS4 speed tests were also rock solid at 76mb where as now they fluctuate between c60mb to 69mb barely hitting 70mb - this is all since Mid October when my speeds dropped (I've turned off auto updates and that used to kill the connection).

I've invested heavily in router/ modems and cables and previously poweline adapters.

and with only 2 people in the HH it is easy to check that streaming isn't taking place or downloading so bar web browsing the connection is pretty much owned by the PS4.

My only other experience was with PS3 and Sky Fiber where I didn't encounter this.

any thoughts or feedback welcomed 

Cheers

Chris  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the detail. 

Could you setup a ThinkBroadband Quality Monitor from here?

Once you have post up a graph and we'll be able to see what things are like.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
coxie1984
Dabbler

HI Anoush 

set up and link to the Live Graph below; 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/211011cea3f0dd54c24033cde6e542fd4f... is c24 hours enough time for this to run?

Kind regards 
Chris 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks Chris.

Yeah 24 hours should be OK. I guess you could always start it again if we need more.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
coxie1984
Dabbler

Hello and happy Friday
Just checking in to see if it is ok to stop the think broadband monitor?
Please let me know if you have enough data?
Kind regards
Chris
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey Chris.

I've had a look at the graph and to my eye it doesn't show any signs of a problem with no packet loss. The big yellow spikes seem to indicate the connection is in use, judging from your usage around about that time.

I think you've said further up your speeds are still a little lower than usual even when your connection isn't being used, but do you experience the lag and latency spikes while gaming when there's no other devices switched on, and nothing else running in the background on your computer?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
coxie1984
Dabbler

Hi Anoush
I do still get minor lag spikes according to the monitor when just gaming - these aren't quite as large as when other devices are connected.

Reading other forums about ps4 I'm starting to wonder if this is just something with their network or the games in question.

Since the plusnet ip profile was increases 4k streaming quality seems to have settled down.

I'm still suffering with lower speeds which seem to be connected to a reduced BTW ip profile - I've not rebooted the router for sometime. If this was reduced by DLM is there an anticipated time frame for this to return to normal?
Is it worth rebooting the router to see if this reconnect with an improved ip profile? Or would this cause set backs if DLM is looking to improve

Once again thanks for all your help.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Chris.

It's possible the latency issues may be down to Playstation or the games in question.

Do you game via any other devices like a PC to compare?

There's no real timeframe for DLM to take action I'm afraid, but I'd recommend trying to keep your connection as stable as possible, because reboots/re-syncs may set things back. Although the very occasional reboot shouldn't do any harm.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
coxie1984
Dabbler

Hello,

Been a while since I posted and unfortunately my speeds don't seem to be back to where there were. This seems to be caused by bt lowering my ip profile to 73.7 from the 78-89mb that they are still promising.
As it stands I'm not going to be renewing my line rental saver and am likely to leave at the end of my contract - which is a shame as I've been with plusnet for a while now.
Have any of the changes of ip from dynamic to static had an impact or is the ip profile not impacted by this.
Is there really no way to query this drop with open reach? If I can get my speeds back I would be more than happy to stay - as it stands it feels like my only option is to switch providers (all of whome offer 76mb as a speed guarantee).
Is there also nothing wrong on the plusnet side as from this thread the 73.7mb cap seemed to be set accidentally from your side at one point.
Gaming performance seems a bit better - so perhaps that was related to ps4 / server issues on some of the new fps games I was playing.
On a side note on my dls settings I have bit switch on and sra disabled (is that right?) I'm also using vdsl2 and annex a (only option other than auto sync) to connect
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Not that it will make any difference, but SRA being enabled has been an official requirement as specified in BT SIN 498 for a long time, and somewhat more recently Openreach announced a trial of it.

An IP profile of about 91% or 92% of the line rate (sync speed) would be as expected if you were on a "Retransmission High" profile. 73.7 is approximately 92% of 79.999.

coxie1984
Dabbler

Thanks EJS- is this likely to be caused by something I've done or equipment? Is there anyway to get the profile changed back (I had c9 years or rock solid speeds till October)? Can plusnet help / is there any request that can be pushed to OR?
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @coxie1984, I'm afraid there's nothing we can do to change it our side and if we raise this to our suppliers, it is highly likely we will have to book an engineer visit.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team