cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

consistent massive lag spikes.

Hooligans
Hooked

consistent massive lag spikes.

Two calls with plusnet support and the problem is still ongoing. Massive lag spikes every 10 seconds. Often these lag spikes also lead to a complete pause in network activity for a few seconds. Even when connected by ethernet to the Plusnet hub one and the hub one being directly connected to the test socket in the master socket 5c, the lag spikes persist. Any help? This has become increasingly frustrating for streaming, working and playing games. 

13 REPLIES 13
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: consistent massive lag spikes.

Hi @Hooligans,

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this issue. When you've been experiencing the lag spikes, have you noticed any particular pattern to the timing that they've occurred? Having looked over your account today, I'm not seeing any obvious cause for such a problem, so it would be best to try and narrow down any sort of consistency to the issues. You'd also mentioned you stream - do you mean to say that you're streaming footage yourself, or do you just mean that you're watching others stream content?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Hooligans
Hooked

Hi, I haven't noticed a consistency in the lag spikes. In fact recently i wouldnt call them lag spikes anymore. They are just complete pauses in the internet connection, sometimes a few seconds long. Sometimes up to a whole minute. When i mentioned streaming i did mean more in watching shows sense, but i have since tried streaming since posting my previous post and the pauses obviously just cut the stream off everytime they occur. I don't know what to do. The people I call on the help line are lovely and try to help, but just dont understand restarting the router doesn't fix these pauses that keep occuring. It has been especially bad today, as multiple pauses happen each minute. 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @Hooligans

I'm also sorry for the issues that we're having on your line lately. As @TheMightyAJ has pointe out, tests on our side aren't picking up any faults on the line, though looking at the visual radius, which I'll pop below, we can see numerous disconnections, particularly in the evening.

Going forward, please have a read through our Troubleshooting Guide to see if you're able to resolve the issue sooner. When testing, please remove the faceplate from your Master Socket, and connect your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it. Avoid using any extension cables / sockets too if possible.
Troubleshooting Guide - https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Let us know how you et on after that and we'll be happy to follow up.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 291.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From21:15to21:30
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-12-11T08:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 894.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Radius
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Hooligans
Hooked

Hi, yes I have already been through the troubleshooting guide. I tested the connection with the router connected to the test socket and a computer connected via ethernet to the hub one. Yet the pauses and lag spikes are still there. I have also recently got a router from a friend and set that up. I set it up in a way that the hub one has all wireless functionality turned off and is purely acting as a modem. While the wireless range is far better than the hub one with the new router, the pauses and spikes persist. What is the next step to take? 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Hooligans, I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you and for the continued issues with your service.

If troubleshooting hasn't resolved the issues, the next step will be an engineer visit. I have updated your fault ticket here for you and if you let us know once you have replied, we will get that picked up for you: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=220675389.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Hooligans
Hooked

Hi again.

I went to the fault ticket to book the engineer visit and it says the fault ticket has been closed as "Your fault should now be resolved".

IMMEDIATELY, I can tell you no, it has not been resolved. I do not know what to do. This is the constant response I have been getting from plusnet the past few months. Just complete denial of a fault being present over and over. 

PLEASE SEE THE FILE ATTACHED. I will explain what it is. It is a continuous latency test of the plusnet internet. The minimum ping is 20ms and I would expect this all of the time, bar a few small hitches to maybe 100ms which would be acceptable. However you can see how high the max response delay is and how much it has skewed the average by how much it is occuring. From this test shown in the attachment, there was around 11 4000ms lag spikes in 5 minutes. Please let me know how the fault is fixed. Please. 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Duplicate post removed.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Hooligans  You have provided very little information re the issues or application you are having problems with. Yet you seem to rely on some random site in the middle of Russia which you think shows your issue.

You claim to have set up the PN router as a modem. Which router, and which one is connected to it and how?

Any chance you could let us know where you are seeing problems?

Hooligans
Hooked

Hi.

What more can I provide. Please ask for any information I have left out and I will happily answer. The site I used connects to local test servers in the UK. I am now resorting to showing this "random site in the middle of Russia which you think shows your issue", due to the fact my internet still has these issues after months of being passed off over and over. I did try setting up the router as the modem, however if you read my posts, this issue started LONG before that. Even when directly connected by ethernet to the plusnet hub one router there is still lag spikes and complete pauses in the internet. So somewhere from the plusnet hub one to plusnet servers there is an issue. Which I obviously cannot resolve. Plusnet must resolve this. If you still want to know the router I connected to the hub one it was the tp-link archer c7. But the issue is not at all that router and you would have seen this if you had read my previous posts. And in regards to where I am seeing the problems. I am seeing problems with my broadband internet connection.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Hooligans,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced further issues. I've re-opened the ticket, which can be accessed here. Please let us know once you've had a chance to respond to it and we'll pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Hooligans,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced further issues. I've re-opened the ticket, which can be accessed here. Please let us know once you've had a chance to respond to it and we'll pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

When connected via ethernet, was Wi-Fi turned off on the PC?

Just because your are connected via a wire, if Wi-Fi is not turned off, you have no certainty that the connection is running over the ethernet port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Hooligans
Hooked

Yes, wi-fi off. The problem has been found now so you can stop trying to say I am the problem. The telephone wires in the village havent been well kept by bt and that is causing the issue.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

No one is saying that you're the problem here @Hooligans

It has to be understood, that our Community Members do not have access to your Plusnet account, nor can they test your line, we therefore ask that you provide as much information as possible for them to provide assistance.

From a Help team perspective (us guys), when we can't see an underlying fault on your line through testing, we ask that you do some troubleshooting on your end first, which might resolve the fault sooner, before raising it to Openreach.

Glad to hear that things appear to be sorted now though! Smiley

Happy New Year!

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds