Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

considering switching to fibre, have router questions

FIXED
YorkshirePud82
Grafter
Fixes: 1

considering switching to fibre, have router questions

Howdy all. Im considering switching to fibre from the trusty ADSL i have, there's nowt wrong with it other than its just slow now compared to what other people get. I can still get HD stuff like netflix. and i live on my own so there is no arguing over bandwidth.

One question concerns the router. Now my current adsl router sits in the living room behind my tv. the master socket is in the hall. Now when i setup my broadband eons ago there was no way i was letting the router sit in the hall because down to the design of my house there is no where for the router to live, other than on the floor and thats just untidy. Plus i wanted to hook up my gaming consoles directly (no wifi on ps2 back then!)

so i got a slightly longer RJ11 cable and extended it into the living room and its lived their happily ever since. So if i switch to Fibre does the new router still use an RJ11 from the master socket? can i just straightforward swap?

Also do you still have to take a call package with the setup? I thought by now we would have got around things like line rental etc.

TIA!

5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: considering switching to fibre, have router questions

Fix

Straightforward swap and you still need line rental but not a call package

However you should call customer options to see what deal they will offer having done your homework with respect to the current Plusnet offer and the competition

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Have you looked at the DSL Checker to see what's available at your location.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

It'll give some idea of the speeds available - it gives a top and bottom estimate for a good line and an impacted line.

Although a long phone cable is not recommended your setup should still work as is.

Brian

YorkshirePud82
Grafter
Fixes: 1

all been checked before hand. been running with a 10 metre long cable since i moved into the property since 2005 so no bother really.

ill certainly be giving them a call to see what we can hash out. What are the routers currently supplied with the fibre deals, can you get your own?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Router is a Hub1 basically a rebadged BT Home Hub type A

You can use your own but as you don't get a modem this is a list http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

It depends on what you need from it - I have a Billion 8800NL because I wanted the guest user facility

However there are a number of more up to date BT routers available on Ebay quite cheap

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @YorkshirePud82

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've nothing to add to the technical aspect of your post that hasn't already been answered thoroughly by @Oldjim.

Just a quick response to offer assistance if there's anything else you need and to let you know that I recognise and appreciate your forum avatar.

Keep up the good work, SW fan and may the force be with you - always.

Best Wishes,

Dave