cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confusion over advice

benny67

confusion over advice

Plusnet tells me I am getting slow speeds over my new fibre connection and offers advice which includes restarting all equipment, including BT Openreach modem and fibre router. Don't think I have both. I have a router with Plusnet on it is all. Am I missing something?
Here is the advice which is confusing me ...

Restart your modem, router and computer in the order shown below:
    Switch off and unplug the BT Openreach modem from the power socket
    Switch off the fibre router and your computer
    Plug in and switch the BT Openreach modem back on and wait until the DSL light turns green
    Plug in and switch on your fibre router and wait for the Internet light to turn green
    Turn on your computer and retest your connection

11 REPLIES 11
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: confusion over advice

If you have recently joined Plusnet then you will have a combined modem/ router. The advice given to you applies to the old system when the BT modem was separate from the router.
Switch off your PN box as briefed, go make a cup of tea & enjoy it with a couple of biscuits & then switch it back on after 10-15 minutes. Your speeds should then increase to your expected fibre speeds.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

The advice is out of date.
Assuming you have joined Plusnet recently, then you have a combined modem and router called the Plusnet Hub One shown here.

If that is the case then you can only restart the 1 box as that is all that has been supplied.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Check the speed that Plusnet has set your line to at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed. If it is not what you expect then chat/phone Plusnet and ask them to reset it to the correct speed.
Also what IP Profile does the BT Wholesale test show at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do . Just enter your phone number on that page and click "Run Diagnostics test" to get the BTW Profile Speeds.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi benny67,
That definitely would be bad advice as the account shows that you have a Hub One instead of a separate modem and router.
Can you let me know how you were given that advice as there's nothing to show the account was even viewed since we activated the service on the 7th.
Do try the advice others have given here as that should be much more helpful towards investigating a connection speed issue and please let us know how you get on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@ Adam, I'd guess it came from here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/fibre-speed-troubleshooting.shtml
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Could well be w23,
I took the OPs wording in terms of meaning an agent gave some incorrect advice.
I've made the relevant folk here aware and asked if we plan to update that page to include relevant advice for the Hub One.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just to follow-on from my earlier reply I've been advised that we're not updating that page but appropriate advice relevant to self-install FTTC and the Hub One will be included in new help and support pages which we'll be launching in just over a week's time.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
benny67

OK, thankyou to all.
For info to Adam, I got to the advice by clicking a link in the email from Plusnet and then getting through to
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/fibre-speed-troubleshooting.shtml
tijara33
Pro

OK, thankyou to all.

Did your speeds increase?? Huh
benny67

Done the reconnect. Seems to have gone okay but I haven't yet checked speeds.  Is there somewhere on the Plusnet site to do that?
Also, btw, what is the difference in function between the on-off button on my router/modem and the one marked Restart?
tijara33
Pro

Done the reconnect. Seems to have gone okay but I haven't yet checked speeds.

To check your speeds, use Ookla Speedtest, see below:
http://www.speedtest.net/?test-5