Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configuring tg582n fibre router for humax hd pvr

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

configuring tg582n fibre router for humax hd pvr

Need some help. I have a humax pvr which has both an ethernet port and a wireless dongle to allow access to iplayer and other tv catch-up services. I have tried to set up the dongle, which appears to to be able to connect to the router, but cannot access the internet. Humax customer support have suggested that I need to allow the humax box to use ports 80 & 8080 and ssl 143, but I haven't a clue how to make this change to the router configuration.
Any help greatly appreciated.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
12 REPLIES 12
XVF
Dabbler

Re: configuring tg582n fibre router for humax hd pvr

I don't have your router, but I do have a Humax HD PVR. Is yours a sat box or a terrestrial box?
Is your dongle plugged into the USB port, or the ethernet port?
The former doesn't sound like something I'll know anything useful about, but the ethernet side is probably going to be pretty straightforward. What network settings do you have in the Humax? Is it set to obtain its IP address by DHCP? Is your router set up to run DHCP? These are both normally defaulted to yes. If it's using DHCP, can you see it in the DHCP table on your router config web pages?
As a starting point, I would run an ethernet cable between your Humax and your router and see if it works. That will tell you if it's a basic config error or a wireless/dongle problem.
Do you have some more details on your dongle (make/model etc.)? Is it designed to do what you're trying, or is it targetted at laptop/pc use? Do you have a USB socket on your TV?
The more questions you can answer, the more likely you'll get something useful.
Also, this may be in the wrong forum, as I'm not sure it's going to turn out to be fibre specific.
maranello
Pro

I have the hdr 2000 T  freeview pvr. The dongle was included, and it plugs into the usb port. Cannot connect via ethernet without a very long cable or relocating tv and humax box, neither option would be convenient. I have awireless range extender in the lounge where the tv and humax are located, the dongle can see signals from both router and extender, and connect to either, but doesn't connect to internet.
Humax support seem confident that the problem is one which they frequently see and that the solution lies in changes to router config, but as they are not familiar with the tg582 router they cannot advise how to change settings.
I posted in Fibre because the solution seems to be router related, and more likely to get a response from Plusnet staff or other knowledgable customers whofrequent the forum. If a moderator wants to move this to a more suitable location I would have no problem with that
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

There appears to be issues with some devices not getting IP addresses via DHCP using the TG582 router. Yours MAY be similar, try setting a static IP as described in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122172.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

redhedgehog42
Grafter

I also have a Humax hdr2000T and I could not get it set up and working via the Dongle. The connection to the router (the Plusnet TG582) was set up easily and was apparently working but when trying to get the kit to connect to the internet to get iPlayer etc it wouldn't - kept saying no connection and I couldn't get to the registration number which is required for MyHumax website registration. Eventually gave up and connected via ethernet - absolutely no problem, everything connected and all the formalities were completed. Having done that the Humax box found new firmware and downloaded it and and updated itself. I then tried the Dongle again and everything worked. Was the fact that I did get it set up via ethernet, or was it the Firmware update? -  who knows. Suggest you try setting up via ethernet - no matter how unlikely it is that that will be the ongoing connection and then see what happens when you try the Dongle.again.
maranello
Pro

Anyone know where I can get ~45 feet of ethernet cable?
Seriously, whilst I appreciate the advice, I was hoping it to be more along the lines of my original post, I.e. how to configure ports.
amcclean
Rising Star

get some homeplugs with pass through. no need to route a cable around the room or move your tv
I use these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-PA411KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1/278-4711...
podman
XVF
Dabbler

Sounds like it may be a firware issue that could be fixed with an OTA firware update.
Seriously, I would suggest either borrowing a long ethernet cable, or temporarily moving the router and/or PVR closer together on a shorter cable to get the new firmware (you might also be able to achieve a firmware update via download onto a USB (data) stick, then sticking it in your PVR and accessing/updating via PVR menu - then trying the dongle again after the update.
I was also going to suggest the homeplugs mentioned by podman as an alternative solution. They're really very good. I use them to connect my PVR via ethernet.
Also, check your routers' DHCP table, as suggested in my original post, to see if your PVR has picked up an IP address. You can then ping that address from your laptop/whatever to check local connectivity.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: maranello

Surely you could temporarily move the box to the router just to try Seahog's suggestion! It doesn't need an aerial connection while you do so. If you have a PC monitor with a HDMI connection you wouldn't need to move the television.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You might also look at Humax's own recommendation for solving your problem - see Easy set up option B: http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=442
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
maranello
Pro

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. It seems that I have some options, some more convenient than others.
I don't have a PC monitor with HDMI, but the Humax does have SCART and RGB output, either of which I could use to connect the Humax to a portable TV if I were to temporarily move it closer to the router. Moving the main TV would be more inconvenient as it is mounted on a wall.
A permanent ethernet connection via homeplugs sounds like an ideal solution, but since I already have a good wireless signal the extra cost does not seem worthwhile given that the use would be occasional only. I do have other options for catch-up TV, such as connecting my laptop to the TV via HDMI, and I don't know yet how extensive (or more likely limited) the Humax TV portal is, so homeplugs don't seem a particularly cost effective solution if the same result can be achieved by either getting the wireless dongle to work properly, or occasionally using the laptop as I have done already.
The least cost and least disruptive option still seems to be changing the router configuration to allow the Humax to connect to the internet beyond the router, and I will try this approach first.
If successful with any of the suggestions I will update this thread.
maranello
Pro

It's working!
Went through the setup on the Humax again, firstly tried to configure LAN settings, not expecting it to work as I thought this only applied to an ethernet connection. Lo and behold, when I tried to apply the new settings the message appeared that the network connection was unplugged. So reset back to original. Then re-entered wifi configuration and re-entered wireless key and applied settings. Same as before, message appeared that connected to network. Tried to access the portal and did not work first time, but tried again a minute later and it connected. Success, no change to router settings, no need to purchase ethernet cable or move equipment.
Just as well, really, as the choice of apps on offer was somewhat limited (iPlayer, youtube, BBC news, BBC sport, Twitter, Internet radio, a few others), and the interface rather basic. Glad I didn't put in too much effort getting it working.
Thanks anyway to all those who offered suggestions and advice, much appreciated.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: maranello

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Network-Cable-CAT5e-Patch-Ethernet/dp/B001GS39MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424...; Wink
At this price it can be a useful thing for testing / temporary connections
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.