Did you mean: 

capped speeds?

FIXED
jeffjohn1941
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: capped speeds?

Hi - Good Morning all!

Returned from abroad to find that my d/l has dropped to 26/27 Mb/s. (From about 50 Mb/s after previous DLM reset). Clearly something is inhibiting my downloads. (House was unoccupied during these 3 weeks ).  Could PN Team have a look at my line statistics to see if there is any significant data. My router stats are attached.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @jeffjohn1941,

I have taken a look into your account today and raised a ticket response about this matter, which can be viewed here. Please let us know once you've been able to respond to the ticket so that we can continue the investigation of the fault further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jeffjohn1941
Grafter

Hi, thank you for your additional comments (id=182253218)  . Currently using the test socket and bt wholesale give me a speed reading of 21.6 Mb/s. No additional eqpt. connected.  New face plate fitted by OR on last visit.

Incidentally, the last OR 'engineer' admitted to having had only 8hrs of training!  He did confirm line was 'good' and set off to check at cabinet. No improvements achieved and no further action.  The recent degradation of speeds was over a period when the premises were unoccupied for 3 weeks so no local interference likely. Phone line is clean.

My speeds have reduced from an original high of 55, over many years, to 35 and currently 22Mb/s.

When PN ordered a DLM release, speeds achieved 53Mb/s for a few days.

Could you arrange for an OR visit to the premises.

Regards Jeff Purcell

tried to reply directly to question&id=182253218 but failed.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @jeffjohn1941,

I've taken a look into this issue again and raised a response via a new ticket as can be viewed here. Please let us know once you have been able to respond to the ticket so that we can progress the investigation of the fault further along as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jeffjohn1941
Grafter

Thank you AJ,

I have replied asking for an OR visit to be arranged to the premises.  I assume the engineers are briefed about the nature of the fault, namely "intermittent noise causing speed drops". My last OR guy didn't appear to do more than change the socket and confirm the S/N and line speed. He also had not been trained on REIN or Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise, though he did think his test equipment could be used. 

Hoping for some resolution, Regards, Jeff

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hiya Jeff. Yeah, we can leave notes for the engineer upon booking the appointment. Regarding that I've updated your ticket for you now. If you give us a nudge over here when you've replied we'll be happy to pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

The chances on the engineer being briefed varies Plusnet do send the info but Openreach some of the time don't bother giving it to the engineer or send the required enginner to fix the fault.

Your Issue would require a SFI (special faults invesigation) engineer but i'm willing to bet Openreach send a regular enginner again with no training or ability to track Rein it usually takes a bit of pushing from plusnet for Openreach to get their finger out and do what is requested of them. makes me think at times they do it on purpose.

jeffjohn1941
Grafter

I have authorised acceptance of T&Cs for a visit. Appointment awaited.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've booked the appointment for you now and confirmed the date via your ticket.

While we can't leave notes for the engineer on fibre faults, I've asked our suppliers to relay the below notes over the Openreach for the engineer to see.

"Intermittent noise causing speed drops. Please carry out all quality gates; change D and E side, renew drop wire and lift & shift"

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jeffjohn1941
Grafter

Morning Gandalf et al,

Open Reach arrived at the premises and corrected a fault traced to the downline connection. Speeds restored to 54 Mb/s after 18 mnths of degradation and reports.

Most professional engineer. I'm thrilled to say all is well now.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Thanks for getting back to us @jeffjohn1941.

We are really happy to hear that the engineer resolved the issue. Please feel free to leave him feedback here if you haven't already done so. Please monitor your connection over the next few days and get back to us if anything changes.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
jeffjohn1941
Grafter

Thanks - will do. Good to have an OR visitor who was happy to answer questions, efficient and knowledgeable. 

Incidentally, although the sync speed is now steady at 52Mb/s, the router network speed is about 50% of that.  Not a problem, but I'm wondering why? Even a bb speedcheck in isolation (nothing else connected), at the router shows this speed.

jeffjohn1941
Grafter

Further note. My reported test result was via btwholesale with rather low (25 Mb/s) download speeds. When I switch to www.thinkbroadband.com, I obtain a high d/l speed of around 48Mb/s, using a 'multi-threaded' test. This is probably more realistic, so indicative of good performance, I think!

Regards Jeff

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @jeffjohn1941

Thanks for coming back to us.

We're aware that the BTWholesale speed test site can display spurious results under certain conditions. I'm glad switching to an alternative site brought up more realistic/accurate results.

Best wishes,

Dave

jeffjohn1941
Grafter

Well after a euphoric week, d/l as high as 54Mb/s, the dreaded DLM has struck and I'm now back down to 35 Mb, as attached. Looks banded as it is 34.999.  Can PN have a look and see if any noise is apparent, please.