Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capped speeds?

FIXED
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: capped speeds?

@jeffjohn41 Having watched this thread recently I think it would be relevant to tell you of my experience around a year ago. Have a look at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/FTTC-fault-banded-speed-ref-Question-150354215/m-p/144...

My line was obviously banded because of a line fault, but PlusNet repeatedly said it wasn't because their GEA test showed a full speed profile. I think the problem is the GEA test or at least some parts of it show historic data so it is not the current situation so not much use for fault diagnosis.  In message 7 of my thread @Gandalf showed an extract from the GEA test showing full profile and retransmission (G.INP) on downstream, I know from my modem stats that my sync speed at that time was banded with G.INP active on upstream and downstream.

I am convinced your line is banded at 35 Mbps  the fixed speed, even after resyncs and raised SNRM value are evidence of this. The difficulty is getting PlusNet to accept the evidence. You will have to keep pushing until their GEA test shows the banded profile, then they can request a DLM reset. There should be no need for an engineer visit.

You will also have to chase them to update your PlusNet line speed profile as I had to, it is not supposed to affect throughput speeds on the new dedicated network but it is still active for users with static IP addresses.

jeffjohn41
Dabbler

The support on here is terrific! Thanks - how did you finally get PN to resolve the problem; it is nigh on impossible to get through the first level CS.

jeffjohn1941
Grafter
Fixes: 1

If I switch ISP to BT, I'll get a new IP profile; do they use the same IP allocation as PN, enabling me to keep current one?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Jeff.

Is it possible to get a time profile of interference on the line over 24 hrs so that i might try to identify the source.

I'm afraid that not something we can request.

I feel sure it is limited at the exchange (contention?), although I'm told it isn't.

Congestion at the exchange will not affect the sync rate between your router and the cabinet.

Can someone from PN give my profile a check, please?

Your profile on your account is set to 33800kbps which is correct for your current sync rate of 35mbps.

The support on here is terrific! Thanks - how did you finally get PN to resolve the problem; it is nigh on impossible to get through the first level CS.

If you can raise a fault to us as advised by my colleague Matt we can report this to our suppliers and arrange an engineer visit to you. You don't need to call us to report a fault, you can do this at http://faults.plus.net

Let us know once you've done this and we'll be happy to pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Gandalf

Can you explain why the router is syncing at only 35Mbps when the router is reporting a maximum attainable rate of 55.995Mbps? https://community.plus.net/aptgm87544/attachments/aptgm87544/Fibre/76459/1/vdsl.png.

P

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jeffjohn41
Dabbler

Thanks, but I'm not happy to arrange an OR home visit as I have had three already (and a no-show). They make routine tests and say there's nothing to be done. Also I shall be abroad shortly. I was hoping enough was known to try an IP profile reset based on my experiences and forum comments.  jeff

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jeffjohn41,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm sorry for the number of engineer visits that you've had and for the inconvenience that this has caused you.

Sadly, as the line's sync speed is below what it's banded to a IP profile reset wouldn't be enough to resolve the issue and , as the tests from our side aren't picking up the cause of the low sync speed the only way to investigate this further would be to arrange an engineer visit - however we are happy to wait until a convenient time for you to arrange this.

Sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jeffjohn1941
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Fix

Well, d/l speeds finally restored after a year or so banded at 35Mbs. Via Twitter Help, PN  used their newly established ability to reset DLM and lo and behold, 51Mbs sync. immediately!

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @jeffjohn1941 

Great News! 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us if you need ever need more assistance. 

Thanks 

jasamd85
Grafter

I believe this is what is happening to my connection

Can you please push through a dlm reset
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @jasamd85 

As we has stated on the post you started here there is no reset required on your line. 

A colleague is current dealing with your GEA request. 

Thanks 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jeffjohn1941   All I can say is why did it take PlusNet/BT so long to do the DLM reset when it was so obvious it was banded. The earlier posts show that the GEA tests do not show the current state of the line resulting in PlusNet saying your speed was not affected by banding, as had happened in my case when it was clear that the fixed sync speed showed banding present. You must have had some poor Openreach engineers as well if they couldn't see what was wrong. Anyway at last you have your speed back.Smiley

@MasterOfReality    I find your comment below extremely disappointing - the line had been banded for around a year

"Great News! 

Thanks for letting us know. "

What would be more appropriate would be a generous goodwill gesture and a sincere apology for PlusNet taking so long to fix an obvious problem and ignoring all the comments on the thread, including mine which supplied very strong evidence that the line was banded. I suspect that the same problem will occur again as PlusNet never seem to learn from their mistakes. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @jeffjohn1941

Apologies that it took so long for us to put the DLM reset through.

Reviewing this thread again whilst our tests weren't showing the banding to be affecting your sync rate, your router logs do indicate otherwise however this may have not have changed things because a DLM reset is submitted on the back of our tests.

When I arranged for your line to be reset from over Twitter, the banding was showing at "Profile Name: 0.128M-35M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off" which matched up to your sync rate at 35mbps so the reset was accepted and successfully done.

That said I appreciate that all this hasn't made for a good experience at all and I'd like to offer you a gesture of goodwill. I've updated ticket 178693687 on your account with more detail which you can reply to from Here and I'll pick it up once you have done.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Nice one @Gandalf but I do serious think that PN staffs should be checking for any banded from DLM because it can be very difficulties to pick it up even this poor customer @jeffjohn1941 who has been banded for a year (oh dear me!)

I think PN should raised this and make a formal complaints to Openreach against DLM Banded for more than 2/4/6/8 or even 12 months is unacceptable for any Fibre, I do genuine think Openreach should made a change to the DLM for any banded to be resetted itself if the current line was banded for more than 28 days, otherwise the banded might never been removed for a very long period like 365 days which it can be very annoyed indeed.

It's about time to chase up with Openreach with all ISPs in meeting that DLM Banded of more than 28 days is total unacceptable for any fibre. It's should be money back automatically for compensation for poor broadband speeds from DLM banded.

Mine was banded for 64 days before @Gandalf did DLM resetted on my line to be restored (blamed on Western Power caused my DLM massive spike with over 20 retrains in a single day) with no fault of mine or the line.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @goldenfibre,

Thanks for getting in touch. In this case the Line wasn't banded for a year, it was a case of the DLM had reapplied the banding after it was removed. This indicates that there was something problematic triggering to DLM to think banding was the best course of action at the time.

Having said this we are happy the issue has been resolved and would ask if either yours or @jeffjohn1941 issue reoccurs.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team