Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capped speeds?

FIXED
jeffjohn1941
Grafter
Fixes: 1

capped speeds?

On my PN contract FTTC many years ago, I was delighted to obtain d/l speeds of 55 Mb/s. After a few years I phoned to include phone landline and afterwards, my speeds dropped to 50Mb/s inspite of verbal assurance that my BB would be 'unaffected'. PN retort was 'well you changed your contract'. OK no great deal.

Nowadays day in day out, 24hrs 7 days, d/l speed is 34,999Mb/s over the year, including months when I am abroad. .  3 OR site visits confirm the speed and find no faults.

The speed limit is suspiciously close to 35 Mb/s and shows every sign of being capped.

At present the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) profile for a UK Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC / VDSL2) based broadband line  requires an Openreach engineer to reset.   Is PN  close to being able to reset the DLM itself?

What is the current position on DLM?

Thanks, Jeff

66 REPLIES 66
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: capped speeds?

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to Fibre Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Plusnet can make a request for DLM to be reset only if the line is banded so you will need to get confirmation that it is first before the request for the reset can be made. 

One of the Plusnet Forum staff will be able to see if the line is banded or not

jeffjohn41
Dabbler

many thanks for the comment. How do I get a forum staff member to check for banding? (I have not heard of that!).

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear your speeds have dropped.

I've tested your line and I can see the speeds are low but this isn't due to DLM as shown below

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 35.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 12.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 592.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Errors Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 13:45 to 16:30
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-44M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-05-18T12:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 35.0 Mbps 41.1 Mbps 35.7 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 12.1 Mbps 12.6 Mbps 12.4 Mbps
Up Time 867.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-05-31T11:34:54.766+01:00 2018-05-31T11:49:54.766+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can take a look further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jeffjohn41
Dabbler

Many thanks for your swift response to my query and line test; at least it is clear that it is not a DLM imposed restriction. I do  find it strange that my measured speeds never vary - constant to 1 in 35,000 Mb/s, over the 24hr day, which would seem to imply that stochastic effects such as interference are improbable.

I should say that i have had 3 Open Reach visits and the last's comments were that 'the line was good, no apparent problems and that if the cabinet checks out, there wasn't anything he could do'.  (My neighbour on the same pole gets approximately the same d/l speeds with Sky).

I shall not raise a fault at this time as the engineers seem to conduct the same limited tests on each visit, thanks.

regards Jeff

Terranova667
Pro

This part here 0.128M-44M Downstream quite clearly shows the line is banded it should state 0.128M-80M. 

jeffjohn41
Dabbler

Thank you Terranova for that observation!  Can PN respond to this PLEASE?  Jeff

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Whilst there is banding on the line it's not restricting the current speeds as the router is only syncing at 35mbps. We'd never request a reset for this as it wouldn't make any difference

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jeffjohn1941
Grafter
Fixes: 1

router report attached , in case this helps. More confused now as PN previously said 'no banding' detected.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I do apologise for any confusion here. While there is banding on your connection on our suppliers side, as advised by @MatthewWheeler, this is not actually restricting your speeds, as your sync speed is quite a bit below the banding that is currently in place on the connection.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jeffjohn41
Dabbler

Thanks, yes, I understand.  Is it possible to get a time profile of interference on the line over 24 hrs so that i might try to identify the source.

The only change in my environment in the last 2 years since I last attained 50Mb/s d/l  has been the installation of a solar farm 300M distant. I wonder if the radiated noise could be due to their synchronous converters or maybe a vhf monitor. Is it a BT/OR (or other)  responsibility to monitor such environmental emissions?

Thank you for your patient support, Jeff

Terranova667
Pro

Whilst a DLM reset at this stage won't do anything maybe the reason why the OP is only getting 35Mb on a Fibre extra account with a 56Mb max attainable should be looked into? 

the line on Interleave with a 10db+ SNR suggests there is some interference / noisy line or other issue(s) DLM isn't happy with forcing the speed down, once that is solved the speed should rise for the Banding to be removed and closer to the Max attainable.

Terranova667
Pro

@jeffjohn41 wrote:

Thanks, yes, I understand.  Is it possible to get a time profile of interference on the line over 24 hrs so that i might try to identify the source.

The only change in my environment in the last 2 years since I last attained 50Mb/s d/l  has been the installation of a solar farm 300M distant. I wonder if the radiated noise could be due to their synchronous converters or maybe a vhf monitor. Is it a BT/OR (or other)  responsibility to monitor such environmental emissions?

Thank you for your patient support, Jeff

I believe but I could be wrong that Openreach can investigate interference from outside sources and make a request for them to make changes should they find they are the cause of the Interference, but I don't believe they can enforce anything as I say could be wrong about the whole thing, something to ask Plusnet about if you feel that is where the problem may lie there is for sure something causing DLM to increase the SNR to a high level and add interleving. 

jeffjohn41
Dabbler

Thanks - Hoping I can get a 24hr profile of noise. One thing about a solar farm is that it should be silent from sunset to sunrise!! Also, I would have expected OR to notice a regional cluster of problems.