Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capped speeds? Breaking my heart

FIXED
microhunt
Dabbler

capped speeds? Breaking my heart

My Broadband speed is showing 39,998 (kbps) download and Upload 9,999 (Kbps). My broadband speed as been good and now the last couple of days when I do a speed test I am getting around 6,000 (Kbps) download and 4,000 (Kbps) upload.

Can someone please help me or some of the customer service staff from Plusnet please advise what might be the problem.

Is my line capped? I have tried a spare router I have and same problem?

When I run Further Diagnostic test with BT wholesale I get a error The Tap 1 test was not conclusive for your broadband connection?

25 REPLIES 25
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: capped speeds? Breaking my heart

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to Fibre Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Welcome to the forum @microhunt

There is a big issue with the BTW Speedtest and that issue is that the results are unreliable. My tests show speeds of 480Mbps at times. Which are impossible on an 80/20 line.

Can you run tests against https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest ?

Also which browser did you use on the BTW tests? It only seems to like Edge or IE and even then it might not show the correct results. This issue has been going on for a year now and has been the subject of many threads here. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
microhunt
Dabbler

I ran the test with thinkbroad and got around the same speeds. No different.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Just had to ask as that is a too common problem. And the tests are all on wired connections I assume?

Given that both the upload and download speeds are affected, it looks like a fault of some description.

Have you check out the phone line for noise by doing a Quiet Line test 

Dial 17070 , select option 2 and is there any noise

if the phone line is fine then you will need to work through the FTTC help at https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Broadband-Faults-Guide-FTTC/ba-p/1322788 which includes the link to report a fault.

(the tests are done to ensure that the fault is outside of your premises as Plusnet have a £65 charge for callouts where the engineer marks it as "No Fault Found" or if it is your equipment/ extension wiring at fault) 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
microhunt
Dabbler

I have been on to the phone to Plusnet. What we agreed was that I would disconnect everything that got to the switch that is connected to the router. So just my laptop connect to router nothing else and do speed test. So i opened Brand new plusnet router I never used and done another BTwholesale \Speed \tets and further Diagnotics test.

I have uploaded just the exact same

See Test,

microhunt
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply and help. I follow the links you posted and report fault.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

Checking your account, I'm not sure that there is a fault. The usage every hour on your line between around 3am and 1pm has been pretty much as high as you can get on a 39.99Mb/s line. I'd strongly advise checking that nothing else at all is using your connection as if something else is using all of this usage, that would definitely explain why you are seeing slower speeds.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
microhunt
Dabbler

Thank you Chris. I think you are not far away. Plusnet phone me and told me that when they do tests my line is coming up as another customer sometimes.

A engineer us calling tomorrow between 1pm and 6pm. I will update you as what is fault.

By was working on neighbour line exactly 1 week ago and since this I have been having problems.
I live in rural rural area and only have 3 close neighbours.

So will be interesting and be good if we can get internet back to our house as u am disabled and used it a lot. I can not do much else. I look forward to using internet each day

Kind Regards
microhunt
Dabbler

This version on English.
Thank you Chris. I think you are not far away. Plusnet phoned me earlier today. They told me that when they carry out tests on my line, sometimes the information is coming up as another customer.

A engineer has been booked and is out tomorrow between 1pm and 6pm. I will update you with further information after engineer has been.

BT were working on the neighbour's line exactly 1 week ago and since this I have been having problems.
I live in rural rural area and only have 3 close neighbours.

So will be interesting and be good if we can get internet back to our house as I am disabled and used it the computer and internet a lot. I can not do much else with my condition. I look forward to using internet each day.
Kind Regards
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Interestingly, the usage on your connection since midnight last night/this morning doesn't seem anywhere near as high as it has been recently.

Are you still experiencing the same issues today?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
microhunt
Dabbler

Thanks I am with BT engineer at property. I would appreciate if you could phone us now.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @microhunt, thanks for your post.

We're sorry for the delayed response.

With regards the engineer visit, we're showing that the engineer has just updated the file stating that a 'lift and shift' has been initiated in order to resolve your issues.

As soon as there is a further update (which we'd expect tomorrow AM when the rest of the notes are available), we'll be in touch directly. -Owen

microhunt
Dabbler

As promised, I am now updating situation. I got up today and went to my master socket and plugged router in direct with my laptop to see if there was any changes.

Now I  have a new profile of 32,000(Kbps) download speed. I am really annoyed with this. I have been a loyal Plusnet customer for 5 years and have never moved service provider even when I was sent offers of cheaper packages with talk talk and other broadband providers. 

I have had 40,000(Kbps) profile for the last two years and now my speed has been reduced overnight. Also the speed is still up and down look at latest pictures and see that my profile as been lowered and also problem is not fixed,

A really disappointed Plusnet customer. 

microhunt
Dabbler

I have since been talking with BT engineer and he cannot understand that my profile is now 32,000(Kbps) when for last two years it has been 40,000(Kbps). Plusnet must have capp applied to line.

I wish some one would update me. As I said I am disabled and I am just after spinal surgery. I cannot do very much in life like I use to go for walks, Cycling, Swimming etc.

I love surfing internet and researching. Now my internet cuts out the speeds is up and down and no one from Plusnet has even called me?

Disappointing customer service?