Did you mean: 

capacity issues - continued

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: capacity issues - continued

Quote from: chrcoluk
Unless of course the isp is having issues 😛

Although not conclusive of anything by itself, the effect of the real-world browsing latency not captured by TBB ping graphs or speed tests can be seen in these downloads of the same simple 6KB HTML page using Firefox.
The fastest one is the same as the round trip time. The slowest takes 6.5 times as long to arrive. And in no case is the actual file transmission time, DNS, javascript etc. (nor Firefox cache before anyone says it!) a factor.
Just a quick "show and tell" demonstration, that's all.
Obviously, it's a single tiny file from across the pond, and therefore a very easy "test" to pick holes in. Waste of time to do anything more rigorous though...
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Those of us who have the New FAST PN router STILL cant use the TBB graphs  Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: kitz
What update is that?

Exactly, we've had nothing now for nearly a week.  During that time Ive had some abysmal speeds and to the point where my connection was useless for http. 
I moaned last night because things were bad again, and I had to go gateway hopping... yet tonight Im on pcl-bng2.  Latency isnt quite as good and although speeds aren't perfect, they are within acceptable realms.
I'm out of here soon but just wanted to report that tonight things are okish, but something is still very wrong in the fact that we should have to go gateway hopping to get a half decent connection.
Im disappointed at the lack of information coming out of Plusnet, whats even sadder is the amount of users Im now beginning to see giving up and simply migrating away because of issues over the past few months.
I can't believe that Plusnet dont see what is happening.
Oh i'm quite sure that their Bean counters will know, but they quite possibly ain't too bothered about loosing customers, it could well be that's part of their plan, as the alternative will be far more expensive perhaps, I left because there was no sign of a proper resolution  after several months of a sub standard service (peak time throughput issues)  they where given plenty of time to sort it out,but nothing changed they just kept stringing us along , like they still appear to be doing, little wonder why people migrated out, I'm surprised they keep getting new customers do they not research before committing to a contract ?  the cheap/free bb offers don't really sway my decisions  had i known how well FTTC would of worked  back in 2013, i would of chosen an alternative ISP  back then , but you pays your money and takes your chances
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Would i be able to leave even though im under contract. When i first enquired about Fibre i was told by the person trying to get me to stay that because i lived that near to my exchange and the cabinet i should get very very near the 80/20 speeds plusnet were offering. ive never had 80/20 speeds the max ive had was 75mb/16mb according to the BTW test and i have complained about the upload speeds because as ive stated the max ive had was 16mb. Could i leave under the terms that i was conned into tying myself into a 24 month contract on the lies of one of plusnets customer service people.
I was out of contract in 2 weeks at the time of me getting in touch with regards to joining plusnet fibre and there was no way in gods green earth that i would have stayed if i wasn't told by plusnets customer services that i would receive at worst 76mb, they can check the phone call if they still have it as i thought they keep records. I just wished i had of kept the emails of my conversation with the customer service person as proof.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: bustermissy1961
ive never had 80/20 speeds the max ive had was 75mb/16mb according to the BTW test and i have complained about the upload speeds because as ive stated the max ive had was 16mb.

Yet you've posted speed tests results showing your upload speed around where you would expect it for FTTC:

There is a big difference between the sync speed and actual throughput. Even if you were to live in a cabinet, you wouldn't be able to download at 80Mb/s.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Whilst you rightly point out that bustermissy1961 has had upload speeds of 18.7Mbps, there is not a "big" difference as you put it, between sync speed and throughput speed (as there is on ADSL). IF you were synced at 80Mbps it would not be unreasonable to expect to see throughput speeds approaching 77Mbps at off-peak times where there is no congestion or other issues.
@bustermissy1961
What is your downstream BT IP Profile as reported by the BT Speedtester Further Diagnostics?
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Quote from: bustermissy1961
ive never had 80/20 speeds the max ive had was 75mb/16mb according to the BTW test and i have complained about the upload speeds because as ive stated the max ive had was 16mb.

Yet you've posted speed tests results showing your upload speed around where you would expect it for FTTC:

There is a big difference between the sync speed and actual throughput. Even if you were to live in a cabinet, you wouldn't be able to download at 80Mb/s.

Look here Andy your going off unofficial speed testers i go off BTW speed test. i challenge you to show everyone on here a BTW speed test where i have had speeds of 18.7Mbps go on.
When i signed back up with plusnet one of your customer service people told me i would receive at least 76Mbps download speeds that is a fact so don't come here trying to twist what he stated. if plusnet monitor their phone calls they will have the call where he told me exactly this.i was leaving plusnet as i had only 2 weeks left of my contract and its irrelevant if i could or couldn't receive 80Mbps speeds, the fact is the customer service person told me i would receive at least 76Mbps speeds, is that or is that not misleading customers into thinking they will get those speeds in order for them to sign back up.
Anotherone
Champion

To be clear AndyH doesn't work for Plusnet.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Whilst you rightly point out that bustermissy1961 has had upload speeds of 18.7Mbps, there is not a "big" difference as you put it, between sync speed and throughput speed (as there is on ADSL). IF you were synced at 80Mbps it would not be unreasonable to expect to see throughput speeds approaching 77Mbps at off-peak times where there is no congestion or other issues.
@bustermissy1961
What is your downstream BT IP Profile as reported by the BT Speedtester Further Diagnostics?

Thanks for the reasoned reply Anotherone last week and from day 1 of me signing up to plusnet fibre my BT IP Profile was 77.44Mbps now for some reason it is 66.79 Mbps. the upload speeds are even lower than before the maximum ive had is about 16Mbps now im getting 12Mbps.Surely they cant just change peoples profiles down by 11Mbps and not expect people to complain.Just because it fits into some ridiculous acceptable range of speeds of 40 Mbps that is a total cop out by BT and plusnet to cover their @rses.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
To be clear AndyH doesn't work for Plusnet.

that's fair enough but the fact still remains iam and others are being conned by BT/plusnets acceptable reasonable speeds range which is so wide its laughable. how can a decrease of 37Mbps be classed as acceptable reasonable speeds range. Would plusnet except if i deducted 37% of monthly payments no they wouldn't so why should customers have to pay full price for a service they are not getting.
Estragon
Rising Star

It sounds like it was borderline 80Mbps sync and something has caused the cabinet DLM to turn on interleaving as part of its error-correction routines.
On FTTC the first level of interleaving typically reduces the sync speed by 8-11Mbps and adds a precise 8ms to latency.
Not good news, but if that's what has happened there is no mis-selling so far as Ofcom or the ASA are concerned. If it isn't what has happened, then I agree there is something Plusnet need to look into. Though if you were an early FTTC user on that cabinet it could be simply down to increased cross-talk as more users were added. Several people over the years have reported significant loss of speed due to this.
Plusnet can see if interleaving is on or not, and when it was applied. If you have an HG612 Openreach modem that is easily unlocked so that you too could see if it is on, along with full line stats. If you have an ECI, then yuk.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I can confirmed that Plusnet has dropped about 1.2Mbps on the downstream over the last 3 weeks now.
Used to be on 74.5Mbps but now 73.3Mbps but the upload was increasing thought from 17.5Mbps to 18.7Mbps (before and after was the same on sync rate 79999k/19999k with BT IP Profile of 77.35Mbps) so, overall lose about 4Mbps on throughput from BT IP Profile.
Anotherone
Champion

A lot of this "optimum/maximum" throughput speed stuff when there is no congestion can depend on which gateway you are on. Some gateways seem to give a bigger speed difference between Profile/Current Line speed and Throughput.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Quote from: Estragon
It sounds like it was borderline 80Mbps sync and something has caused the cabinet DLM to turn on interleaving as part of its error-correction routines.
On FTTC the first level of interleaving typically reduces the sync speed by 8-11Mbps and adds a precise 8ms to latency.
Not good news, but if that's what has happened there is no mis-selling so far as Ofcom or the ASA are concerned. If it isn't what has happened, then I agree there is something Plusnet need to look into. Though if you were an early FTTC user on that cabinet it could be simply down to increased cross-talk as more users were added. Several people over the years have reported significant loss of speed due to this.
Plusnet can see if interleaving is on or not, and when it was applied. If you have an HG612 Openreach modem that is easily unlocked so that you too could see if it is on, along with full line stats. If you have an ECI, then yuk.

Thanks for your reasoned reply Estragon all i know is last week i was getting just under 75Mbps download speeds now im getting 62.92 Mbps. my pings are up to 36.63 ms my upload speeds are down from around 15Mbps to 10.64Mbps. That is disgraceful and as ive said in another post if i calculated the loss of speeds to me deducting the price iam paying by the same % would Plusnet accept that i very much doubt it. then you have people like Andy who are no more than Plusnet Apologists trying to defend them nomatter what facts are told to him by customers complaining on here.
Sorry forgot to say my cabinet is a  Huawei and i do have the ECI router the Openreach modem is ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev. B VDSL modem something has gone on with my exchange/Cabinet that has made my speeds reduce dramatically. Plusnet have told me not long ago that BT told them my Cabinet is not congested i still have the emails from them explaining this to me.
Anotherone
Champion

It should be made clear that the loss of sync speed is nothing to do with any action by Plusnet. If your BT IP Profile is 66.79Mbps, then speed test results of 62.92Mbps are not too different from what might be optimally expected.
I was going to check to see if you'd previously mentioned what Modem you had and/or what Cabinet you were on. Unfortunately an ECI Modem on a Huawei Cab is not the best combination.
If you are reasonably close to a cabinet, very often on the first day, you will get very high speeds, after which when the DLM in the cab has assessed your connection and sync speed may get lowered a bit due to the noise & errors that result from cross-talk from neighbouring lines. If however you were getting much higher speeds and they have quite dramatically changed recently, then something else is going on. However please note, what must always be your guide in the first instance is the BT IP Profile as this is directly related to the sync speed. The actual throughput speed achieved can vary if there is any congestion about, another separate issue.
As you already have a thread running on your lower sync speed, it will be best to pursue this there, rather than clog the Congestion thread.