pcl-bng02

I give up.  Undecided
Edit:
Unidentified gateways corrected.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: capacity issues - continued

some info.
if the 2nd plusnet hop is a CRxx then you on a bng, hope that helps people.
I am on a bng now, dont know when I got moved over to it, but this explains why I have peak time packet loss (which I always get on bng), although on this endpoint the packet loss is very small, but it is there.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't know why those unidentified gateways didn't resolve to names for npr, but they all do for me:
195.166.130.142 lo0.14.central14.pcl-bng01.plus.net
195.166.130.152 lo0.11.central11.pcl-bng02.plus.net
195.166.128.189 lo0-central10.pcl-ag08.plus.net
(I used the "dig -x" command to do the reverse dns lookups.)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I wonder if the reasons might be related to the same noticed by kitz (reply #68).
PS. I found a tracert gave me the same info as the dig -x, but bear in mind I wasn't on any of those gateways.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Im afraid I wasn't around earlier to be able to see what things were like this evening.    It is disappointing that there is no feedback from Plusnet again Sad

It's pcl-ag02 (lo0-central10).

Cheers, I never looked at the IP properly. 
TBH I was in a rush and annoyed that I couldnt even view web pages properly.  By the time I'd faffed around trying to actually get on a gateway I wasn't chuffed in the slightest.
sometimes the system needs 20 seconds or so to start routing traffic.

It had a lot longer than that.  I'd even looked up the IP for from an old record to be able to do the tracert and I'd been trying different browsers and sites first too.  So all in all at least 10-15 mins without any routing.

Could that be anything to do with the ZyXEL router which I believe you're using?

I doubt it.  I've been using it for well over a year now and know that the GUI page can be buggy when using it to disconnect the PPP session.  I've found the trick is to move to another page and then back again - this way it correctly refreshes the status page in the GUI.     
I could see from the GUI that I'd been allocated my Plusnet IP which is what made me think to try and do a tracert to see just how far my routing went.. and everything ground to a halt at pcl-ag02. 
Thanks for the offer of the script - ridiculous that we have to have a script to gateway hop because speeds are so bad. 

Ive been gateway hopping since Jan without ever seeing this particular issue before.  The no routing issue is a brand new one on me.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
I wonder if the reasons might be related to the same noticed by kitz (reply #68).
PS. I found a tracert gave me the same info as the dig -x, but bear in mind I wasn't on any of those gateways.

With mine it may be due to the fact that I had no routing and therefore DNS (I use google's) wouldn't have been working properly.
I'd already tried to do a trace just using "bbc.co.uk"  but that didnt work as it was unable to resolve the the domain name to an IP address.
The trace I did  and posted above was definitely using the command tracert 212.58.244.20.

....although its interesting to note that the response said "fmt-vip71.telhc.bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.20]", but that may have perhaps come from a DNS cache from one I'd attempted earlier on the previous gateway?  No idea 😕
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i gateway hopped because of buffering  Sad now on ptw-ag02. still get the odd TBB speed test ?Huh

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I have experienced the situation where you get a Plusnet IP address but your connection is practically unusable - the last time I commented on it was here. But it happens very rarely, and re-connecting once has always fixed it for me without any struggle to get back online.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I see you were on a bng gateway there, and I bet that issue never got looked at at all, never mind if it were even noted as something to keep an eye open for should it crop up again or anywhere else Roll_eyes
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: ejs
I don't know why those unidentified gateways didn't resolve to names for npr, but they all do for me:

In the cold light of morning that's shown to be a dns cache issue at my end.  Roll_eyes
chrcoluk
Grafter

--edit--
andrew clarified the plans with me so my post was a bit of paranoia. Smiley
mlmclaren
Grafter

Grin yep I noticed that....  Lips_are_sealed
Melancholie
Grafter

Good to see the tin foil hats are still working well.  Roll_eyes
mlmclaren
Grafter

Good to see your still lurking about being so very useful as usual  Roll_eyes
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Guess I have to much fibre in my diet, now back to ADSL speeds I had before I upgraded
edit: got sick of caching streams and hop'd

sods law its a BNG thats giving me full speed, ptn-bng02
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November