cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capacity issues - continued

mlmclaren
Grafter

Re: capacity issues - continued

PTN gateways are pretty stable I've found... I'm also using that one (the last time I looked)
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: The
Good to see your still lurking about being so very useful as usual  Roll_eyes

You're welcome.
I look forward to seeing your constructive contributions if/when they appear.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Better go to Specsavers!  Cool
Wink
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Whats going on tonight - Speeds are all over the place.  
The burst starts ok, but then it appears that something is throttling back speeds.    Its highly amusing watching a TBB speed test and the dial flick all over the place. Shocked

So far Ive been on central10.ptw-bng01 & central14.pcl-bng02 and they are both as bad as each other Sad
Plusnet appear to either be suffering from congestion or experimenting with something.  
I still havent got a response to why speeds over the past week have been limited to 12-15Mbps on single thread.
The only input from Matthew stating the following sounds rather ominous.
whilst I can't tell you exactly what we're doing I can confirm we're working hard on resolving it

Can we please have an update on wth is going on please.

-----------
ETA   1am and things are still skewy

Cleared at 1:30am

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

well PN will never admit to Congestion , despite what tests they do
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
chrcoluk
Grafter

What I will say is with plusnet there is one upside.
Hopping will change endpoint's and even can change the routing thru BT wholesale, a lot of isp's if you congested you screwed.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Matthew
Just a reminder that the problem we’re investigating doesn’t seem to increase latency or packet loss, it only limits throughput, and only on a single TCP thread. If anyone is seeing packet loss or latency, then this is a separate issue and we'd urge you to raise a fault.

Does that imply it must be a problem with Plusnet's traffic management / classification system? Perhaps it doesn't have enough CPU power to handle all the bandwidth.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I did allude to this some considerable time back in the main Capacity thread, and of course it was completely ignored.
My bolding
Quote from: Anotherone
Quote from: fibreuser
I have been running some tests for PN and there is something odd when downloading files single threaded. They appear to start at line speed and then all tail off just like the graph, does make me wonder if its a traffic prioritisation problem

IIRC, the idea that some of these problems may be related to an issue with Traffic Management, came up some considerable time back with some previous problems.
Has anyone from Plusnet / or is anyone, looking at this aspect at all?

And
Quote from: Anotherone
That doesn't mean that I'm not questioning whether PN's Traffic Management has a hand in these issues.

And considering the various removals of network data in the recent past, as well as the lack of response to this aspect, I think that tells us a lot.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Matthew's update is very welcome. Whilst I think that this issue has been going on for too long, it would appear that PN are trying to resolve it (based on Matthew's recent update). One does wonder just how complicated the problem is to resolve given the amount of time PN has spent on looking into it. I am no network expert but here's hoping they are homing in on the cause. Fixing it - well that may be a separate issue.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

What update is that?
adie:quote
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Matthew

Sorry for the delayed update. We are still investigating at this moment in time and whilst I can't tell you exactly what we're doing I can confirm we're working hard on resolving it.
Just a reminder that the problem we’re investigating doesn’t seem to increase latency or packet loss, it only limits throughput, and only on a single TCP thread. If anyone is seeing packet loss or latency, then this is a separate issue and we'd urge you to raise a fault.

That update. OK, not very detailed, but an update none the less and shows they are still working on it.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

What update is that?

Exactly, we've had nothing now for nearly a week.   During that time Ive had some abysmal speeds and to the point where my connection was useless for http.  
I moaned last night because things were bad again, and I had to go gateway hopping... yet tonight Im on pcl-bng2.  Latency isnt quite as good and although speeds aren't perfect, they are within acceptable realms.
I'm out of here soon but just wanted to report that tonight things are okish, but something is still very wrong in the fact that we should have to go gateway hopping to get a half decent connection.
Im disappointed at the lack of information coming out of Plusnet, whats even sadder is the amount of users Im now beginning to see giving up and simply migrating away because of issues over the past few months.
I can't believe that Plusnet dont see what is happening.
I actually raised a ticket because I was unhappy at the throughput.    It took 5 days for someone to respond who hadn't even read my ticket properly and all Ive had so far is the generic 'test from wired' & 'do a BTw speedtest' which if they'd read my ticket properly they will see all this information was given a week ago.  Cry
---
edit amend wifi to wired
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've had extraordinarily laggy HTTP (ie. web browsing).
Nothing out of the ordinary visible on TBB BQM or speed test, however.
Something I've experienced before with PlusNet...
Could be the BRAS, I suppose.
Impossible to pin down, basically, so not going to try!
This is just for the record.
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
mlmclaren
Grafter

@InterZoom - I have this issue also  Undecided
Who remembers the days when 10mbps cable was like the best thing, and having it you noticed the difference... web pages used to load soooo fast, gaming was awesome...
Then we had to go faster and faster and now we have broken internet.... yeah sure I can download a film in seconds (700mb @100mbps) but everything else is shocking  Huh
chrcoluk
Grafter

net is slower now days due to all the tracking junk put on websites, is very annoying and also the trend of web developers forcing images etc. to be downloaded from separate hostnames so extra dns lookups and extra connections to be established.
e.g. blocking javascript and any 3rd party domains on a website causes them to be lightning fast.
Unless of course the isp is having issues 😛