cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable or extension socket when moving hub?

laurencewithau
Dabbler

cable or extension socket when moving hub?

Hi. I have fibre broadband as far as the green cabinet and then a BT line to the master socket in this upstairs study.

There is no phone and this PC and other devices are connected to the hub with Ethernet cable.

The Plusnet hub is about three feet away from the master socket and connected with ordinary telephone line.

I want to upgrade the master socket and use cable, not line.

Also, I want to move the hub about 12 feet away from the socket.

The new socket will be a BT master socket NTE5C + VDSL MK4.

The cable will be high speed VDSL fibre broadband modem router solid copper cat5e.

How should I connect the hub and the master socket with the 12 feet long cable?

Should I connect them directly?

Should I move not only the hub but also the master socket to make it less than 12 feet?

Should I use the cable to connect the master socket, left where it is, to an extension socket near the newly moved hub?

So many choices, so little time!.

I'd appreciate any advice, my main concern being not to lose any broadband speed.

Thanks, cheers, Laurence

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: cable or extension socket when moving hub?

Your description is quite confusing. To guarantee the best connection the router should be located close to the Master socket using the DSL cable that came with the router.

Why do you want to move the router? If it's a location issue are you aware that for a few pounds you can get a wall bracket from Ebay?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

laurencewithau
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick 1. Thanks for your reply. Yes, I should have said DSL cable, not ordinary telephone line.

I'll edit the post. The Plusnet router hub is on a unit by the window, 3 feet away from the master socket, and there are Ethernet cables looking untidy on the floor.

So I want to move the hub to where the cables will be out of the way, a distance of about 12 feet.

Forget what I said about upgrading the master socket and DSL cable.

All I'm asking is what is the best way, with regard to broadband speed, to re-position the router?

Should I move the master socket itself? presumably no.

Then either I use 12 feet of cable to directly connect master socket and router or I connect via a device. not sure what that would be,  but it would be a socket of some kind, perhaps another master socket if that's advisable, or an ordinary socket.

I ask because I've read that 12 feet is too far from the master socket if speed is not to be affected. Thanks again. Laurence

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

If you read about long RJ11 cables, which is what you need between your filter and router, you will find that it all depends on the quality of the cable. So you would really need to try one out.

Another alternative would be to leave the router where it is and run a single Ethernet cable from your router to where you want to distribute your Ethernet cables and fit a switch here. These are not expensive, for example https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005D-5-Ports-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00ZOOJXEG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

laurencewithau
Dabbler

Hi. Thanks very much for that. I'll do as you say and use a cable or cable and switch. Thanks again