cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband speed

zillfish

broadband speed

hi, I have high speed fibre broadband which, since first installed ran at about 56mbs. The other day I had multiple devices working and noticed a drop in performance. a speed check showed  a download speed of 33 mbs, and it has stayed at this since then. I am using a laptop plugged directly into the main socket with nothing else connected.

Webchat was unable to help me without unplugging everything, which would result in me losing contact with the "chatter",

leaving me in "limbo".

Can you help? I am due to renew soon and the outcome of this problem could have a bearing on my decision.

cheers, zillfish

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: broadband speed

Hi @zillfish I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems. I've tested your line today and the tests are showing your speeds are definitely below where they should be but aren't giving the cause for this.

If you've carried out the troubleshooting steps Here to plug your router into what's known as the test socket ruling out any issues with your internal wiring, can you report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate further? Let us know how you get on

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
zillfish

hi, thanks for your response.

I have done more tests by disconnecting all physical connections to the hub, (except this laptop), and disabling wireless at the hub settings.

A retest then showed a speed of 51mbps, a big improvement. 

i remembered then that I have an old hub set up as a bridge for wireless access downstairs. this proved to be at fault, but a reset corrected it.

Further tests then showed a drop to 45mbps, so once again I disconnected everything including wireless,and the speed test now sticks at 45mbps. During this testing the broadband went off completely for a few minutes, I think this has happenend occasionally when in normal use.

So the speed is still not what I am paying for, do I report a fault, or is there anything else I should check first?

cheers, zillfish

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @zillfish 

Our tests are showing what you're seeing and the speeds are still below where we'd expect.

If you've tried plugging your router into the test socket I'd recommend reporting a fault to us online so we can arrange an engineer visit to invesigate this further for you.

[edit]
If you can drop me a reply once you've reported the fault I'll get it picked up for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet