cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband speed

ashworth50
Dabbler

broadband speed

Why can Plusnet not sort problems out or at least tell it's customers either what's going on or even 'sorry we don't know'. I switched to fibre broadband over 4 weeks ago now and as yet have not had the speed BT wholesale say is an 'acceptable speed' for my line/connection, yet every time I contact Plusnet I just get the same reply ( after about a week) that they have tested the line and there is nothing wrong. They then go to lengths to tell me how to test the speed, which is what I've being all along. When I reply and tell them my speed is still slow after another weeks wait I just get the same answer. Come on Plusnet sort this out and lets get some of this great customer service you keep telling us about, or at least hold your hands up and admit you can't provide the broadband speed that BT say the line is capable of.
14 REPLIES 14
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: broadband speed

Have you tried using this one? http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ After the initial test you can run an additional diagnostic test which will tell you the IP Profile for your line and the acceptable range of speed. If your speed falls into that figure then BT will not look at your line as it's acceptable! As far as I'm aware Plusnet can't force them to do anything in that case.
This is mine just done:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 62.57 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speed is 49.96 Mbps-71.36 Mbps
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 71.36 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.63Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
TBH when I signed up to BT they said my line would handle 40Mb, I got 50 Mb! When I came over to Plusnet on the same line that speed went up to 62Mb even though the anticipated speed was still showing me 40Mb.
ashworth50
Dabbler

The bt wholesale speedtest is the one I've been using and keep getting results below the acceptable range yet Plusnet still keep telling me there is nothing wrong!!!
thesawdust
Grafter

Are you doing the tests over wireless or wired? Also try out of peak hours (seems plusnet network is congested)
Also try a gateway hop?
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: thesawdust
seems plusnet network is congested

Parts of the BT Wholesale network are congested - Plusnet aren't congested their end.
ashworth50
Dabbler

Firstly the tests have all been carried out over a wired connection.
Secondly why would BT Wholesale quote an acceptable range if the network is so congested that they can't supply those speeds? and also if that is the case why don't Plusnet tell the customer this instead of just keep repeating ' there is no problem with the line' ? If Plusnet or BT Wholesale would give me an ' acceptable speed ' that was lower than the one they are quoting me now but they could achieve and maintain I could accept that it's the going round in circles and getting nowhere that frustrates and annoys 
AndyH
Grafter

There's a difference.
When they say  'no problem with the line', they will have done Openreach's line testing. This looks to see if there's an actual fault on your line between your premises and the cabinet. As no fault has been found from this test, it's been reported back to you that the line itself is fine.
The acceptable speed range is what you should be able to achieve. If you fall outside of the acceptable range, Plusnet can raise it as a fault with BT Wholesale. The first thing they would do though is check to make sure you don't have an actual fault with your line which is affecting your speeds.
Which exchange are you on?
ArthurDent
Grafter

Weird or what? Here is a post I put on ThinkBroadBand just a couple of days ago:
My (plusnet) fibre contract allows me <40mbps.
A btwholsale speed test this eve reveals:
DL: 38.09 against line max envisaged as 57.98
UL: 14.94 against 20.00
Lat: 19.5
Seems OK to me, but why does BTW show DL in red (previously green) and say it's unacceptable?
Then directs me to test under TAP:3 - whatever that may be? Retesting gives same result.
TBB and Ookla speedtests run OK, giving similar results, which TBB says are above average for my area. IP address has not changed since last test.

Actually I have no complaints about the speeds I'm getting currently against what I'm paying for (and don't feel any immediate need to upgrade). They haven't changed significantly since I bunged in a new router at the beginning of Jan. Just seems that BTW have now made some changes to their speedtester, which suddenly decides them that what I'm getting is unacceptable. 
Haven't bothered to run that TAP:3 (?) test, and will not be troubling the PN guys. 
AndyH
Grafter

Plusnet have provisioned you on 80/20 with BTW, even though you're on a 40/20 product with Plusnet. There is no 40/20 product with BTW.
Because you're limited Plusnet's end to 40Mbps downstream, this means you're probably outside the acceptable level based on your IP Profile with BTW.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Yay, Andy, I appreciate your explanation.
Tonight the Further Test DL result bar is still red, warning me that:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 37.92 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-57.98 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 57.98 Mbps

This lines up sweetly with your reply. However on v similar results the bar was a delightful shade of green until just a few days ago. So why the change?
No worries, so don't trouble to respond!
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Arthur, I had exactly the same thing. I have only been on fibre for a few weeks but because my line initially synced at 50.3 Mbps, the BT speedtester showed red (I am on the 40 Mbps product).
The one nice thing about the Plusnet 40 Mbps connection is that they do allow uploads up to 20 Mbps, which I don't think many (or any?) providers do on the 40 Mbps product.
Unfortunately I can only max my upload out at 7.5 Mbps. Not sure why it is so low, but I see a lot of other people achieving close to the full 40 Mbps down, but only achieving 7 or 8 Mbps up.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

We probably are one of the few (if not the only) ISP offering 40/20, due to the way in which the services are ordered.
I've checked your line, and you are provided on the 20Mbit up, but you seem to be on the very lower limit according to the DSL checker (http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput)
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thank for that reply Tony.
Yes, I don't understand why it is so low. My D/L sync rate has dropped from 50.3 Mbps at install to 39.37 Mbps now. Upload has been about the same (7 Mbps).
I am trying to figure out why the U/L is so low.
One question I have not been able to fully resolve - is whether having a MK3 box as the extension socket will have a negative impact. Do you have any thoughts on that?
I have a MK3 master socket, with the VDSL extension wiring (CAT6 cable) kroned into the AB connector of that (unfiltered). At the extension however, the Kelly contractor used another MK3 box for the extension socket (despite me not using a phone there).
So there is another filter built into that socket, and it is connected to the line (even though I have nothing going through that filter - i.e. no phone extensions).
Since there is no need for a filter there (usually BT install a simple RJ11 faceplate), I wondered if it could have a negative impact?
I can't find an answer on that.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Quote from: ashworth50
The bt wholesale speedtest is the one I've been using and keep getting results below the acceptable range yet Plusnet still keep telling me there is nothing wrong!!!

Could you please posted here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135963.0.html
AndyH
Grafter

@ goldenfibre - Why? The OP's service is working as it should.