cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband dropouts

Johnmorgan222

broadband dropouts

Here we go again...broadband speeds are good but connection keeps dropping out. its generally only for a brief period but enough to disconnect the kids from xbox live or the playstation network or to stop netflix or the smart tv. Also we have two MacBooks and both will lose connection and by the time you've got to settings they have reconnected. Its really frustrating for the kids if they are online gaming. Nothing has changed, same router in the same place no new installations nothing disconnected or broken. Funny we keep getting bombarded with requests to upgrade our account...

what do people think? problem with the router? phone line is working ok.  

5 REPLIES 5
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: broadband dropouts

Hi John,

I'm sorry that your connection is dropping and for any inconvenience that this is causing you and your family.

I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up the problem from here:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 267.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-06-13T08:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 869.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-06-26T07:34:19.054+01:00 2019-06-26T07:49:19.054+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

and the connection log is indicating that the connection hasn't dropped for the past 16 days:

http://visualradius.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image1561533378891.png

So that we can determine the best next steps towards a resolution for you, please can you confirm if the connection issue is solely affecting wireless connections or if wired connections are affected too?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Johnmorgan222

They are all wireless connections. The X box disconnected numerous times last night and has again tonight. Both MacBooks lost connection last night. In fact it took me numerous attempts to raise a question as I kept losing connection. I appreciate that when we are connected the speed seems to be good but that hasn't stopped the kids being dropped from games etc when playing online. Do you think the issue could be related to the router?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'd give the steps here a go: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395... to desync the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies as this can improve WiFi performance.

I'd also recommend changing the wireless channels, the steps on how to carry this out can be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Johnmorgan222

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Any thoughts on what maybe causing problems with the xbox live connection. Do you think its likely to be the same thing? The MacBooks dropping out we can cope with, the xbox dropping out is causing major issues!!

what i don't understand is why it has become an issue in the last couple of weeks. nothing has changed as far as i'm aware.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Johnmorgan222,

Since your Xbox connected via wireless then it would be more than likely the same issue causing the disconnections with the xbox live. It is difficult to know what exactly is causing the wireless interference as there are many different devices that can interfere with your wireless signal, such as other peoples routers in the general area, TV's, radios, density of your walls, and general electrical devices in your home and all of which do send out frequencies. I would also recommend to follow the guide my colleague has posted on this thread and take it from there.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team