cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blacklist advice

danielst3023

blacklist advice

hi recently commented (freedom of speach) on a forum miniclip and after several comments tried logging into the site today,
coud'nt not login so checked with a friends account they coud'nt log in either. so I connected to
the forum miniclip on my tablet and was able to log into the forum I guess the IP address was banned.
upon looking into this as never been banned from a forum miniclip went to a site to check this
http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
and see my public ip address is blacklisted by 2
pbl.spamhaus.org and zen.spamhaus.org
whats this all about I have no idea. thanks
9 REPLIES 9
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: blacklist advice

It sounds like you said something rude on a forum, they banned you and added your IP to a database of known spammers. This will prevent you from signing up to forums which use the same database.
If you're asking how to get around it, it depends on whether you have a static IP address or not. But I will say no more Wink
danielst3023

no I was not being rude! i speaking truth about cheaters and hackers and your not allowed to talk about them even tho
a player was cheating.
just searched google and found this
Help! My IP address is on the PBL! What should I do?
Nothing, in most cases. Read through this FAQ for further explanations.
The first thing to know is: THE PBL IS NOT A BLACKLIST. You are not listed for spamming or for anything you have done. The PBL is simply a list of all of the world's dynamic IP space, i.e: IP ranges normally assigned to ISP broadband customers (DSL, DHCP, PPP, cable, dialup). It is perfectly normal for dynamic IP addresses to be listed on the PBL. In fact all dynamic IP addresses in the world should be on the PBL. Even static IPs which do not send mail should be listed in the PBL.
PBL listings do not prevent you sending email unless your email program is not authenticating properly when it connects to your ISP or to your company's mail server. This can happen if you have forgotten to turn on 'SMTP Authentication' or if you have switched 'SMTP Authentication' off by mistake.
If you are using a normal email program such as Outlook, Entourage, Thunderbird or Apple Mail and you are being blocked by a Spamhaus PBL listing when you try to send email, the reason is simply that YOU NEED TO TURN ON 'SMTP AUTHENTICATION' in your email program's account settings. That will solve the problem for you. See: How do I turn on SMTP Authentication?
Server admins who need help with SMTP AUTH can find lots of information for most servers such as Sendmail, Postfix, Exim, Qmail, Exchange, etc.
dick:quote
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you look at the vast majority of customer's IP addresses they'll be on a blacklist or two. Those type of blacklists are generally used for email servers, and as customers should really send via our mail servers, they won't cause any issues.
If you've been banned from a site, you should attempt to contact the site administrator and ask if they will unban you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
danielst3023

thanks and that is what I thought, spoke to admin of miniclip forum they wont unban me even if I create another account It will still be banned so I guess its that ip address that connected by wifi now I connected up by LAN i was able to create an account. is there any other way around this i.e switch the routers as the router I had previously was way better as I could assign ip's to devices.
Thanks
dick:quote
NedLudd
Grafter

When I was modding on an iPhone forum I would ban spammers by IP address. This was effective only on that site and not passed on to any other sites..
Nobody should be able to make a worldwide ban on the basis of one website's policies. I suggest that you contact Spamhaus and request them to explain why you have a received a worldwide ban on the basis of one complaint!
Geoff,
York.
Chris
Legend

That is not why they will be on the Spamhaus list. That'll simply be due to it being a residential IP address and will not in any way be banning you from any forum.
See my previous reply for what these are used for.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The PBL at spamhaus is a Policy Block List, not a Blacklist. All dynamically allocated IPs, whether issued by Plusnet or any other ISP would normally be on it. Any entry on there will also appear on their ZEN list because it's consolidated from all their lists.
What the PBL is intended to be used for is detection of operations not normally associated with a dynamic IP. For example it is unusual to find a mail server on a dynamic IP. Mail originating from one is likely to be from a compromised PC, so probably spam. However posting in forums would normally be allowed.
Are you sure being on the PBL is the only reason for the ban?
David
Chris
Legend

Thank you Spraxyt! Explained much better than I did.
danielst3023

thanks for clarifying this case closed thankyou all Cheesy