Topics merged

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: anybody have issues with people thinking you live in different country

Yep try What Is My IP and tell us what country it says you are in. It will also tell you what ISP that IP has been assigned that block. See if those look right.

I wouldn't post your full public IP, but keep that to PM's to someone.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

FWIW the IP the the poster was last on here with is reported as a PN one and geo-located in the UK.

Used 3 different checkers. 

Customer / Moderator
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks @dvorak for checking, and your help.

That is strange then, I think all you can do is raise it with the sites who are not working and say "I have checked it with my ISP and they can't find any problems". Then tell them what they have said.

The only thing I can think of is maybe they are using a GeoIP (I would assume via some API) from some company's system which is incorrect?

Only needs one to be incorrect which will cause issues on multiple sites.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@foxy17 

Assuming (and it is an assumption) that this is a geolocation issue you could try switching your Internet connection off for several hours to see if you can pick up a different IP address. These can be quite sticky these days so it might not work. Another option is to pay a fiver and get a fixed IP address. I don't know if it's still the case but in the past these were allocated from a completely different pool.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I don't know if it's still the case but in the past these were allocated from a completely different pool.

I don't think there is a single pool for statics these days, but they are still allocated from different ranges to the dynamic ones.

Im pretty sure they still use 'old' ranges which, as far as I am aware, have never shown geolocation problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

foxy17
Dabbler

spoke to microsoft and my computer had been hacked big time using my ip address 

Alex
Community Veteran

Not sure if I believe that.

Firstly you would have to manually open ports for someone to access your PC.

Secondly, (and again I am not at my PlusNet connection) isn't the PlusNet firewall enabled by default?

I have a little bit of experience of running a server from home. Making it accessible outside of the internet and creating a DNS A record. Then I used to remote desktop into it from work. Ahhh - those were the days.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@foxy17 wrote:

spoke to microsoft and my computer had been hacked big time using my ip address 

How did you speak to Microsoft? This would be nothing to do with them.

i hope you didn’t pay them any money 

Customer / Moderator
Baldrick1

@foxy17 

BEWARE. I have to ask how microsoft know or care that you've been hacked, unless this is a Windows Defender report.

I assume that you have actually rung microsoft? If you've been rung by someone claiming to be from microsoft then it will be a scammer coincidentally ringing whilst you're having this problem.

Moderator and Customer

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Whoever you spoke too was NOT Microsoft. They do not take help phone calls from the General Public.
I hope you did not pay them any money or allow them to download a program onto your computer.
foxy17
Dabbler

yes i did pay and I phoned number that came on screen and yes ive been scammed my bank are trying to dispute it can anyone help me to clear computer please

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Ok - whoops .... well whats done is done so lets move on.....
First -- change the password for every thing on the pc, bank, paypal, email etc.
Particularly if (like nearly everyone) you've reused an email/password conbination (or a slight variant) for several accounts
BUT dont do it on the suspect pc in case the bar-stewerts have left a key logger on it.
Then - download Malwarebytes and scan for nasty stuff. You'll get a couple of weeks as premium but keep it going for a while as some of these bar-stewerts wait a couple of months before biting again.
Copy off any "important" docs, email and pictures onto an external hard drive, disconnect it and put it away.
Now - the next steps depend on what Malwarebytes finds. Lets just hope they haven't dropped a real "nasty" on the pc thats waiting to catch you out.
foxy17
Dabbler

hi I am still having problems computer is still saying I live in Belgium and as I was scammed by someone saying they are from Microsoft they are constantly ringing us but I never answer the number that comes up on land line is just a zero on the screen and I have had several calls from America can plusnet block no caller ID calls as I am getting loads of these too but only since I was scammed   PLEASE HELP this is making me ill I have actually switched off landline phone

Baldrick1

@foxy17 

Buy a call blocking phone. I recommend one  with the built in BT  TruCall blocker. No automatically dialled calls, which is the vast majority of spam calls get through and you can block any manually dialled ones. I have had an earlier model for years and not one unwanted call has got through the automatic screening process.

Unfortunately your details are now out there for the bad guys to pass around.

You could probably solve your location problem by paying a fiver for a fixed IP address.

I'm sorry that it all costs money!

Being a super cautious type I would also change my email address and if you keep a back up that precedes this attack do a full format of your hard disk and a fresh install, but that can be a lengthy task.

Moderator and Customer