cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another wi fi connection problem

tightlines1
Hooked

another wi fi connection problem

The issue I have is that randomly the wi fi connection to one or more of my devices shows no internet connection. It generally occurs to my windows laptop first think in the morning when I switch it on although it has happened on occasions to a chromebook and amazon echo.   Even though there is no wi fi connection to that particular device, all other devices remain on line, unaffected. This includes two amazon tablets, hive heating devices, and a samsung S7 mobile phone.

I recently had installed Sky q and sky q mini box to my setup and it was only after this that the problem started. Sky q and the mini box continue to work perfectly even though the laptop or other device show no wi fi connection.

Even though there continues to be a broadband connection (the blue light remains on the router), the short term solution is to reset the router (Plusnet Hub 1)  and I am then back on line with all devices. Since this has only occurred after I had sky Q installed I suspected that somehow Sky q  / mini box was interfering with the wi fi signal causing the interruption to the connection to my laptop or other device. I have contacted Sky Q and without going into detail I was told that the Sky Q box could not affect the router because it only downloads from the router to the box and does not upload. (However no mention was made of any possible interference caused by the wi fi link between the Sky Q box and mini box.) I have also contacted  Plusnet technical and following advice I changed the channels on the router (coming out of smart)  which has made no difference. 

The connection does not drop once I am on line with my laptop and generally remains connected for the remainder of the day. It is only after (but not every time) the laptop goes into shut down mode overnight where I have to use the on / off button to wake it up (rather that opening the lid). I suspected it was a problem with my laptop, but since a Chromebook and Amazon echo also looses wi fi I believe it is not the laptop.

Can anyone advise a solution to this issue. My contract with Plusnet ends in 2 weeks and I am mindful but reluctant to switch broadband provider to Sky in the hope that a sky router will resolve the issue I have.

Thanks in advance of any replies. 

15 REPLIES 15
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: another wi fi connection problem

Hi @tightlines1, thanks for getting in touch.

We're sorry to hear of your recent connection issues.

With what you've said, about the issue only starting since you had Sky Q installed, I'd definitely suspect that this could be the cause of the issue, regardless of what Sky themselves have to say. Any electrical device can cause interference and generally I find that if the circumstances started after an event, it's usually the event that's the root cause.

Are you able to turn off the Sky equipment overnight, to see if the drops reoccur?

tightlines1
Hooked

In the first instance I will let the sky q / sky mini 'sleep' overnight (rather than switch off at the mains)  and turn on my laptop before waking the sky q boxes in the morning and see what happens for a few days... unless anyone else has any ideas? 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Your issues could be a coincidence or possibly poor timing (but you wouldn't know about the timing bit)

Regarding the message on the Windows laptop, read this first post if you want - here - but the solution was to connect ours via ethernet and let Windows do what Windows does ... update. Then see if that laptop does the same error.

The other issues might be being caused by a recent router firmware update. That post above gives all the known (that I know of anyway) firmware versions. If yours ends in 263 then this could be why. Are you using 263 and when did yours update? The best way, assuming you've not done a full factory reset, is to go to the bottom of any hub page - it gives the firmware and the date it was installed - factory resets can mess the true install date up.

But I don't have any sky gear here, so I could be leading you in the wrong direction...?

tightlines1
Hooked

The firmware was updated to 263 on 25th February which is about the time that the issue started. So where do I go from here?Huh

DS
Seasoned Champion

That I don't know.

As of today I'm currently giving a BTH6 a go, though my issues were not just the wifi (and possibly ethernet tooHuh).

Hopefully a member of forum staff can give BobP a nudge to see if yours can be downgraded?

Then see if they can fix this firmware and then send the 'repaired' firmware back to you.

(You could, for a little cost (£10-20), purchase a FTTC (not FTTP) BTH6 (from ebay for example) and see if this resolves it? But totally understand you if you decide to keep using the H1. There are how to's on these forums for setting one up)

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @tightlines1,

Thank you for confirming the firmware version.

Firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.263 is not subject to Wi-Fi issues as far as I'm aware. (Except forms of interference like every router on any firmware version.) Looking through this thread, I can see that you have changed the channel from smart to a manual channel but this is a trial and error process. Could you kindly follow the guide below and test a few different channels, I would recommend 1, 6 and 11 for the 2.4GHz frequency band.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals.

Along side this, although Sky Q has been put into 'Sleep' it could still give off forms of interference. Please power it off completely then retest the connection. This will rule out your new equipment being the route cause of the problem.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
tightlines1
Hooked

This is becoming extremely frustrating. As I have said previously I have tried alternative channels. (see my first post). I have tried 1,6, and 11 on the 2.4 Ghz frequency and also changed from 48 to 44 om the 5 Ghz frequency. Yet you send me the instruction 1 to 5 above  how to do this. Very unprofessional.

Sky are saying that their equipment cannot interfere with the router because they only download and do not upload. Do you expect me to turn off my sky equipment for days without TV access just to see if your firmware update to your router is to blame or not? . The issue only started after the the firmware update on 25th Feb (almost 2 weeks after Sky Q was installed) and looking at the plusnet community it is clear I am not the only one who has encountered this problem. See the comments of DS above and also the link he has given to a previous thread.
My contract with you ends in less than 2 weeks and unless you can provide a satisfactory solution I will be changing to another ISP.  
tightlines1
Hooked

DS.. I have got an old BT home hub 5 (my provider prior to changing to plusnet ). I have read a way of setting that up so I might try that. I am assuming this hub will work with my plusnet fibre. I will be interested to know if your BTH6 solves your problem. 

DS
Seasoned Champion

Regarding the known or unknown issues with the firmware, from my own detailed testing and admittedly small numbers of other users out there, there does appear to be a problem. I know BobP has already downgraded another users hub. I have spoken to a few others out there and simply asked them if they've had any recent issues - note I asked them, not told them what the issue was - and they have said they've noticed that their devices have been recently suffering with wifi connectivity issues. Don't ask as I'm not giving out the list but I have advised them to join the forums and report their own issues. If they do they do, likewise if they don't they don't.

I'll leave it there, but let's see if the forums start to 'explode' with wifi issues. It doesn't really matter to me now anyway.

@tightlines1 

Yes the HH5 will work fine ;). You'll need your username and password (same as member centre). Grab that hub, power it up but don't connect it to the line, put your details in and then connect it to your line. It's advanced settings then broadband (or thereabouts).

I always make all my changes before connecting it anyway.

To save any 'hiccups' with devices remembering ssid's/wireless pass keys I would suggest* you create a different name for your network, or leave it with the BTHub5'xyz'. You can run into issues (I recently did!) when you're jumping from one router name 'tightlines' to another router also named the same and with the same wireless key. Any devices are best to be turned off or rebooted once the H5 is online. With phones simply forget the old network(s).

*you don't need to change anything other than putting in your details in the broadband bit Wink but reboot or disconnect the ethernet or wifi to off and on. This helps them establish a connection with the new (old) router.

Having said that, you may find some devices remembered your old H5 details anyway, hard for me to say as I don't know what you did when going from H5 to H1

Hmm, the H6.... crikey... range better... connectivity speed better... user interface better in some parts... will it stop my fibre connection from dropping, don't know yet.

DS
Seasoned Champion

@tightlines1 My lips are sealed - https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Wireless-repeatedly-drops/m-p/1623159#M11021

The downgrade isn't perfect, but some devices now..... work!!

tightlines1
Hooked

Thanks DS. Perhaps Plusnet will downgrade me to the previous firmware variant. Huh
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @tightlines1.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues. As it stands, as far as I'm personally aware at least, we aren't aware of any issues with the latest version of the Hub One firmware. I'm afraid that I don't personally have the ability to downgrade your firmware for you, but I am tagging @bobpullen into this thread so he has some visibility of this and may be able to perform further diagnostics with you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

I know what I'd do.

Put the H5 on, if it all works then there's no denying the firmware is the cause.

The H5 and the PNH1 are the same, just different coloured coat and a different firmware.

tightlines1
Hooked

DS.... I put the HH5 on but unfortunately the sky Q would not connect for some unknown reason, so I'm back to square 1 and the plusnet router. I'm tempted to invest in a better quality router but as I don't know the root cause of the issue I might be wasting my money. No response from Bob Pullen or anyone else regarding returning to previous firmware so I'll be submitting a transfer to another ISP this weekend as I'm out of contract in a week or so. . Disappointed with the lack of support from Plusnet. Thanks for your help.