Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

alternative router required with more Ethernet ports - recommendations please

stalwart-thorp
Hooked

alternative router required with more Ethernet ports - recommendations please

Hi all,

I've got a Hub Zero 2704n router and BT Openreach modem for my fibre optic and need a router with more than the 3 free Ethernet ports this router offers as I want to add a NAS and, at present, the 4 ports are connected to:

1. my PC

2. Devolo dLAN Powerline network

3. networked CCTV / DVR

4. this one is, of course, reserved for the Openreach modem.

What are my options to add at least 1 more free port? Is it simpler to buy an "all-in-one" VDSL modem / router or do I have to keep the BT Openreach model?

My budget is up to £150.

Sorry if all sounds simple, but I'm a numpty!

cheers

Stuart

11 REPLIES 11
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: alternative router required with more Ethernet ports - recommendations please

PlusNet should be able to supply you with a Hub One, which will remove the need for the separate modem and router, as it is one device and the modem is built in.

So you get 4 Ethernet ports which should fix your problem.

A member of staff may pick this thread up and let you know or contact customer services.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: alternative router required with more Ethernet ports - recommendations please

Just connect a simple "ethernet switch" to one of the router ports, and then connect your remaining devices to the additional ethernet outlets (on the switch) that are now available.

For example a NETGEAR-GS205-100UKS for just £11.97

Don't worry about the word "switch", it is not the equivalent of a port selector switch, but in this context it is just a ethernet port expander and you will be able to use all of the ports on the router and switch simultaneously.

Wink

Alex
Community Veteran

Yes an additional switch is an option, but if I were the OP it would bug me having another device and plug socket available.

I would just try and get it down to a single device, but if you feel you might need more than 4 ports in the future then you may as well buy a switch.

stalwart-thorp
Hooked

Hi Alex,

Thanks for this suggestion. Have finally got thro' (after 30 min wait) and I have to wait until my contract is up in April before I can upgrade to a Hub One (and only pay £6.99 postage).

Stu

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

If you really want a Hub One they are as cheap as chips on Ebay. You could also have a BT HH5A or B or the far superior BT Smart Hub for about £40. All are compatible with Plusnet, they just need to be manually configured. Full instructions on how to do this will be found in the Router forum. The Hub One is essentially the same as a HH5A except the BT offering is black rather than white.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran

Oh right, I didn't realise you needed to be out of contract to be able to upgrade. I thought PlusNet may have said "Yes, but your contract needs to be extended", rather than "No, you have to wait".

Didn't they used to use a deferred hardware charge which I thought was a good idea, where you could have new hardware but if you left in 12 months you had to pay for the hardware they provided. So technically not a contract, so you can walk just pay a bit to do so.

Sounds like EBay is your best bet - I had a look on there and there are loads of them on offer. Forgot about BT Homehubs can be used too. It'll have a BT logo instead of PlusNet's but I am sure you can live with that Smiley

stalwart-thorp
Hooked

Ah, so I can use one of these instead, as long as I manually configure it?: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-smart-hub-6-Still-packaged-wireless-router-black/162766148601?epid=219...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Yes but not this one. The words are confusing as it talks about being a HH5 in the description but more worrying is that it mentions a Red WAN socket.

To explain, there are two versions of the Smart Hub. One for FTTC and another for FTTP, which uses one of the Ethernet sockets to connect to the modem, leaving just 3 just the same as your present set up. To be honest this is the first one I've seen advertised so a little care is required. If you look at the following: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Smart-Hub-6/282737633741?epid=1578990016&hash=item41d479e9cd:g:~zgAAOS... you can see the four Yellow Ethernet sockets and no red one (see photo 3). I understand that the FTTP version simply has a red sticker over one of the WAN sockets. Consequently it is worth just checking photos or asking for confirmation that the router is for FTTC before bidding. The vast majority will be and it's well worth the effort to get one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran

I looked up the MPN of 68343, which is Manufacturer Part Number?

Not a brilliant photo but I found this from a different auction at the back.

Router.jpg

stalwart-thorp
Hooked

hi all,

So, I bought this BT Home Hub 6 off eBay: BT Smart Hub Home Hub 6 Wireless AC Gigabit Infinity Modem Router Plusnet

All works great with Plusnet Fibre. However, now have another problem! It seems to be a common problem with this modem/router not being able to connect easily to Synology NAS. I have a DS216j NAS and I cannot get the router to discover the NAS over my network so I can map it as a drive in Windows 10.

Anyone have a Synology NAS here that has encountered this problem? I want a modem/router I can just plug/play and easily set up port fowarding to recognise a Synology NAS on my network.......