cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube has been unwatchable since joining Plusnet...

mrleelee123

Youtube has been unwatchable since joining Plusnet...

Hey everyone,

I joined Plusnet after leaving Talktalk in May of 2020. Straight away I noticed that Youtube was running quite poorly but didn't think anything of it because I read that companies were limiting bandwidth due to the global situation and more people being at home. I just put it down to this.

However, this has lasted all year and is still the case right now. I have Google Wifi and a couple of months ago I changed them over to Deco M5 Wifi, but the problem still existed. I have tried plugging the phone line straight into the router, then straight into all my devices but the problem is still there.

I have the same issue on Youtube on my Sky Q box, PC, Xbox and PS5. All these devices are hard wired with ethernet and not using Wifi.

I googled to see if anyone else has the same issue and came up with this thread on these forums - https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Buffering-with-full-speed-YouTube-Plex-BBC/td-p/171284... and am expereincing exactly the same.

I saw that someone tried using a VPN and connected to YouTube and it worked, and sure enough I just done this on my PC and all videos load straight away, no buffering, no pre-downloading it just works. Even the 4k streams don't buffer. I turned the VPN off and loaded other videos up and I get 10 seconds of video, then 2 mins of buffering. 720p streams even struggle.

I never ever had this issue with Talktalk and I must admit I am kind of regretting leaving them for Plusnet now...

1 REPLY 1
mrleelee123

Re: Youtube has been unwatchable since joining Plusnet...

I've just seen that having a static IP address can sometimes solve this issue. At this point I am willing to try anything so went into my plusnet account and add a static IP bolt-on but it says - 

"Unable to change service