cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube and Nexflix Buffering on Unlimited Fibre Extra

mcyates
Grafter

Youtube and Nexflix Buffering on Unlimited Fibre Extra

I upgraded from unlimited broadband (17mb) as when I was uploading stuff everything basically stopped (my phone uploads photos straight to google photos).

It was activated on the 12th October but speeds are sporadic, The attached image is the current speed test my misses has just carried out on speedtest.net.

Surely I should be getting faster internet than that. Absolute joke. When I was with sky broadband I didn't have any problems with them, that was with normal broadband and not fibre, but soon as I switched over to plusnet, the internet has always been playing up. I thought upgrading would sort it all out!

How wrong I was!

My Football Forum - http://www.myfootballforum.com
6 REPLIES 6
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Youtube and Nexflix Buffering on Unlimited Fibre Extra

@mcyates wrote:

Surely I should be getting faster internet than that.

What makes you say that? Your speed will be dependant on the quality and length of the line connecting your property to the cabinet. 31.7Mb/s is a perfectly reasonable speed for VDSL if there is 700 metres of cable connecting your property to the cabinet.

If you put your number into this site what does it say (blank out your telephone number)?

the internet has always been playing up. I thought upgrading would sort it all out! How wrong I was!

In what way? Unfortunately you haven't really provided any actionable information. All you've done is complained about your speed which - without any more information - does not in itself indicate a problem.

I think it would be helpful if you could take a deep breath then repost a detailed message explaining what problems you are experiencing along with the result of that page I linked to. Otherwise I'm not sure how anyone can help you.

JamesDaGames
Grafter
Fixes: 2

This is almost certainly related to the packet loss/ping issues many of us are having on fibre. We can't do anything and as far as I know. We have to wait for plusnet to fix it, hopefully sooner rather than later.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I wouldn't always say it's Plusnet fault. I looked at my BQM the other day and thought what the hell. Packet loss all the way BQM Looking back on the history I found that the packet loss had started on the 10th Nov and I could recall restarting the router around then. Disconnected and reconnected the router (shown on the BQM at about 7.15pm) and the packet loss disappeared. So yes, I could have blamed Plusnet but in reality, for some reason, the router (my own equipment) decided to not play ball. Nearly 2 days later and all is still fine.

But what caused the packet loss to continue for nearly a week? God knows. Gremlins no doubt. It didn't seem to affect anything my end. Indeed DLM decided that my line could return back to the high 70's mb/s speedwise on the 12th.

I use Youtube and Netflix a fair amount. Netflix does sometimes say things aren't available but doesn't buffer if they are. Amazon Prime works 100% at the same time on the same box (Amazon Fire TV). Youtube again has never buffered on my setup.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
mcyates
Grafter

the day it first activated I got 63mb download speed and 18-19mb upload speed. 

I've attached the dslchecker.

Its always been playing up since I got it, simply when I upload anything, everything stops and buffers. This didn't happen with Sky broadband, I could upload photos from my phone and still use the internet normally. But with PlusNet as soon as I do any uploading then webpages take ages to load and any streaming starts to buffer. That was on normal broadband up 18mb download speeds., sky upload speeds where 1mb. Think thats the same as Plusnet standard broadband.

I moved from Sky Broadband Unlimited to Plusnet Broadband Unlimited, and last month upgraded to Plusnet Fibre Extra. Surely NOTHING should be buffering! Nothing ever buffered when I was on Sky. I really don't know how anything can be different as the EXACT same lines are used, are they not?

mcyates
Grafter

I'm away from home at the moment but i'll restart my router and see if that helps anything

mcyates
Grafter

At home now. Slow speeds still.