Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your thoughts on my issues

westbusker
Grafter

Your thoughts on my issues

So here we go guys.
Got plusnet Fibre a few months back.
Got the plusnet router but never used it right from the start as I used an ASUS RT-AC56U AC1200 instead. Never had an issue with it dropping connection on the LAN side but the Wireless side of things were really disappointing so I sent it back.
So plugged in the original plusnet router, kept dropping connection to the internet.
Plugged in the BT Openreach modem direct into PC with PPOE connection to test, no problem, no disconnects.
Borrowed another identical Plusnet router, same problem accept this one not only dropped connection but kept rebooting, strange ?
Got sent a replacement Plusnet router by plusnet, which was nice.
Ran for about 4 hours then dropped connection, rebooted, worked for another hour, ethernet light went out, then router completely died, no power, no green lights, nothing, dead  Sad
Borrowed a really old TP Link basic wireless router, rock solid for 4 days, no problems at all.
My download speeds have always been fine, even when the routers were playing up.
Weird or what!
4 REPLIES 4
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Your thoughts on my issues

You have ghosts Tongue
westbusker
Grafter

Thank you St3
I may have ghosts, if I solve that problem will that in turn solve the issue with my dodgy plusnet routers ?
Cheers.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Don't know if this is your problem but I have seen a faulty laptop power supply kill routers.
With the case I saw it was a cheap replacement laptop power supply which gave out lots of RF interference which killed the routers own switch mode power supply.
I had to supply my daughter with 4 replacement routers before I found the cause.  Roll_eyes
I've also seen the same issue with a faulty power supply for a usb hard drive enclosure.
You can test a laptop power supply for this issue by placing it near a medium wave radio, if there's loads of interference then the power supply is suspect.
westbusker
Grafter

Cheers npr,
I have in the same room various power supplies, one for my NAS, one for my effects pedals for my guitar rig, I am also running an 3m ethernet cable from my openreach modem to the router via some ducting that is shared with a mains extension cable.
Will try the RF interference check with a medium wave radio, good call.
Maybe the Asus & Tplink kit is more forgiving than the plusnet kit.
Cheers.