cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You've guessed it, a line speed issue!

elwab

You've guessed it, a line speed issue!

Hi, i switched to Fibre Broadband Extra on the 29th May, with speeds estimated between 72 and 66, with a minimum guaranteed speed of 58Mbps. For the first couple of weeks i was getting this, however, lately everytime i've run Speedtest i'm consistently only getting between 48 and 40 (see attachment).

Obviously this is still fast enough to do what i need to do (stream 4k TV for example), but there must be a reason for this drop down in speeds, considering it was fine initially, and is well below the minimum guaranteed speed?

I'm not sure what it is but i've heard of peoples lines being 'capped', is that happening to mine?

1 REPLY 1
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: You've guessed it, a line speed issue!

Hi @elwab, sorry to hear you're having broadband speed issues.

I've had a check of the connection and it is also testing at around 46Mbps, although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault, please click here and let us know once you've done the checks and raised the fault so we can progress it for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team