Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You intend to reduce my speed do you??

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

You intend to reduce my speed do you??

I just got an email from PlusNet in which it says, "We've recently become aware of a problem with your broadband, which means you have been set-up on Unlimited Fibre Extra (66Mbps average download speed) rather than the Unlimited Fibre product (36Mbps average download speed) that you signed up to."

I just did a speed test and got:-

Broadband Speed Test Results
Download Speed (Mbps): 35.84
Upload Speed (Mbps) : 7.38
Ping Latency (ms): 37

I was under the impression that I was on a 40/10 contract. Can I be assured that I will in fact see no change to my speeds?

7 REPLIES 7
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: You intend to reduce my speed do you??

Hi @longedge,

The Fibre extra product comes with an 80/20 profile and you were incorrectly placed on this instead of the 40/10 product you signed up for.

The honest answer is if your speeds enabled you to get lets say 75Mbps (being closer to the cab) then yes you would see a drop in speeds down to the 40Mbps maximum on your package. Your line can't get anywhere near the 80Mbps speeds, and as you've noted is much nearer the 40Mbps anyway. So no you won't notice any detriment to your speeds.

alexatkin
Dabbler

The regrade process may also have caused the training process to start again, so for a few weeks you may get slower than 40Mbit but it should sort itself out over time.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I have to admit that my question was rhetorical and I posted just to establish what my baseline/current speed is. I know well enough that there is no reason why my speeds should change but I also know how badly things can go wrong when "your suppliers" get involved.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries.

Let us know if you do encounter any problems.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
longedge
Aspiring Pro

I'm now getting:-

Download Speed (Mbps): 29.12
Upload Speed (Mbps) : 5.36
Ping Latency (ms): 95

I'm assuming that the change has gone through although I have not had any notification of it although the initial email I received said, "We'll let you know once the update has completed." I believe that it was around about the 10th when the change happened. Am I right?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Upon further investigation you were actually one of the original 40/20 customers we had who were moved to 55/10 so you shouldn't have seen an decrease at all.

I've placed a order to move you back to the correct product on our suppliers end and this should complete tomorrow.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that - I'll keep my eye on it.