Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: You couldn't make this up!

No it shouldn't
There are 3 products from BT Openreach
80/20 with the upstream IP Profile showing as 20 Mb/s
40/10 with the upstream IP Profile showing as 10 Mb/s
40/2 with the upstream IP Profile showing as 2 Mb/s
There are no other products available and Plusnet can only change the upstream IP profile by changing the product not by any fiddling on their side
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

As Oldjim has already pointed out, the key bit of information is in the OPs first post from the BT test showing the upload IP profile is 10 Mbps. This proves that the OP is no longer on the 80/20 package as upload IP profiles are not set by Plusnet, but are determined by the product you are on.
Plusnet do set their own IP profile for downstream, but since there is no 80/10 product, this further proves that the OP is on the 40/10 product and not the 80/20 product with some form of limiting at Plusnet's end.
Lastly, @Terranova, you mentioned the upload should still show 20Mb if the OP was downgraded to the 40/10 product by Plusnet. That would be Plusnet's 40/20 product in that case. Plusnet don't implement a 40/10 product by rate limiting the 80/20 product (but they do implement a 40/20 product by rate limiting the downstream on the 80/20 product).
Only other options that leaves is that the OP has been placed on a 40/10 product (not a different product that Plusnet limit at their end).
The interesting thing to me is that Plusnet clearly have the means to put a customer on 40/10, which begs the question why don't they offer that to customers that want faster upload (faster than 2 Mbps), but can't get faster than 40 down.
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: Terranova667
hmm something strange for sure is going on,  the upload should still show 20Mb if you were downgraded to 40/10 by plusnet as shown in my BTw test so it wouldn't be their doing unless of course Plusnet have changed things without saying something and now it's a complete product change done at the BTw end,

That's what has happened  it's clear from the amount of spare SNR on the downstream in the op's stats , Also the other clue is that on an openreach 40/10 service the max IP profile will be always lower than the 40mbps max sync rate  
The plusnet abomination didn't cap the sync only throughput was capped artificially by use of  their secondary IP profile and was as said the  80/20 openreach product  Infact if the OP isn't too bothered about loosing some 15mbps of downstream throughput  then for stability  the spare downstream SNR may be of significant benefit against DLM intervention
@ jafreer :   As for PN being able to provision customers on the openreach 40/10 product, of course they can they have always been able to do this,there is no technical limitation that would prevent them from doing so, it's a commercial decision not to,and nothing more , they have to keep up with the likes of talk talk you know
Regardless of providing a product that people want, That's how much  your loyalty means to them,
If they scrapped their silly cash back and other "free" offers and increased the sub's prices by a little, they could then improve customer services and the actual quality of service they are providing ie the ongoing peak time issues that is still without resolution
Haybasha
Rising Star

TBH I just want my sped back, I've had a pretty stable line of late with only very small fluctuations in upload and download.
The main issue I have here is I'm not being given what I've just signed a 2 year contract for and as far as I can tell someone is not telling the truth or just does not know their job.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: deathtrap
If they scrapped their silly cash back and other "free" offers and increased the sub's prices by a little, they could then improve customer services and the actual quality of service they are providing ie the ongoing peak time issues that is still without resolution

Can't argue with that.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

but there isn't a 40/10 product on plusnet though only 80/20 or 40/2 hence why all the complaints on the forums and some left for other ISP's  i made the mistake above saying i had been downgraded to 40/10 when i made my new deal checking again i was left on 20Mb for upload and capped at 40Mb which i believe is what should happen for others should they already be on or downgraded to 40Mb before the change to 40/2 took place.
So in regards to the OP i have no clue as to why it's saying 40/10 if it's not a product plusnet offer unless they have changed their minds and are now offering 40/10 without saying so,  or i missed an announcement or something .  Huh
Haybasha
Rising Star

Well I've just come off chat again and surprise surprise I've been incorrectly provisioned on 40/10 even though technical see my connection as 80/20.
There is a 40/10 product if you've been on it before which ironically I haven't.
I have to wait until Monday now for this to get sorted. Fingers crossed.
The one thing I've learned today is some of the 1st line support staff need a kick up the [Censored] and it is easy for PN to put someone on the wrong package and get away with it if they aren't very internet savvie.
deathtrap
Grafter

So i guessed correctly i knew it wasn't their intention to put you on a product that they no longer sell/offer (40/10) they will of intended to have put you on the 40/2 product, hopefully this won't happen now that you have spoken to someone further up  https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,144447.msg1273209.html#msg1273209
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
You are confused
The old Plusnet 40/20 package was a rate limited 80/20 package but the OP has been moved from 80/20 to 40/10 which isn't rate limited by Plusnet

I don't think that's right , when i made my new deal and Plusnet downgraded me to 40/10 because of their estimate views I was able to go back to 80/20 because the download on the Btw test was still showing the full speed of the line which at the time was 55Mb it was a Plusnet cap that put me down to 40Mb not a BTw product change, I agree they may do that for 40/2 but not 40/10 as i said i don't think the op is being capped it looks very much like his speeds have dropped to that level
Edit.. here is my BTw test from when i was downgraded which i used as evidence of being able to go back to 80/20 as you can see the line still shows that the line was at 55Mb and the cap was in place to put me on the 40Mb product. the OPs BTw test should look something like this if  the package was changed to 40/10 

oldjim is correct please dont waste more posts on this.
The upload profile on the BTw test gives it away.
To the OP do the only language plusnet understands, migrate away.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Yeah but PN aren't doing this to provide a world-class service (no matter what their marketing department likes to claim from time to time). They are doing this to make money. History shows that most people choose their ISP on the basis of price and are attracted by cashback offers. If PN raised their prices and improved their service there is no guarantee it would help their business. Most likely they would see a decline in new contracts and reduction in their customer base.
Sorry but that's the way the broadband market is in the UK. Almost everyone wants it on the cheap.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: chrcoluk
Quote from: Oldjim
You are confused
The old Plusnet 40/20 package was a rate limited 80/20 package but the OP has been moved from 80/20 to 40/10 which isn't rate limited by Plusnet

I don't think that's right , when i made my new deal and Plusnet downgraded me to 40/10 because of their estimate views I was able to go back to 80/20 because the download on the Btw test was still showing the full speed of the line which at the time was 55Mb it was a Plusnet cap that put me down to 40Mb not a BTw product change, I agree they may do that for 40/2 but not 40/10 as i said i don't think the op is being capped it looks very much like his speeds have dropped to that level
Edit.. here is my BTw test from when i was downgraded which i used as evidence of being able to go back to 80/20 as you can see the line still shows that the line was at 55Mb and the cap was in place to put me on the 40Mb product. the OPs BTw test should look something like this if  the package was changed to 40/10   

oldjim is correct please dont waste more posts on this.
The upload profile on the BTw test gives it away.
To the OP do the only language plusnet understands, migrate away.

i made a mistake in what i said originally and corrected it in my post after so please next time try reading all the posts before making snide comments towards me i thought you were above all that i guess not.
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: Andrue

Sorry but that's the way the broadband market is in the UK. Almost everyone wants it on the cheap.

And why is that, because of the likes of TT  and BT who make nothing on the bb subs , but prop that up with TV services and Line rental  hikes to the whole customer base  regardless of it they have bb or not  Some business plan that is
Fortunately there are some providers left who don't operate this way  and if there were less customers online maybe BTW's network could cope better then
Haybasha
Rising Star

Apologies I should have also added my thanks to the following support staff for a professional job in chat I last night:
Liam
Michael F
Much appreciated guys if you ever read this*

* I will of course take it all back if my connection isn't sorted out on Monday  Tongue
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Fortunately there are some providers left who don't operate this way  and if there were less customers online maybe BTW's network could cope better then
Did you really just post that other people should get off the internet if they're not prepared to pay what you deam to be a proper price?  Anyway broadband (or should I say internet access) has always been seen as a cheap comodity. Why do you think Freeserve was so successful back in the days of analogue modems. It's nothing new. The vast majority of people simply don't want to pay extra to ensure they get a decent ISP. And I think BTW's network is just fine. It's the ISPs who for various reasons choose not to buy sufficient capacity when connecting to it. Although to be fair to PN as long as you aren't on a crappy gateway there are no signs of congestion so I think PN at least are buying enough capacity. They just have a weird and annoying fault on their network.
Lastly I hate to break it to you but you joined PN like the rest of us so you're no more prepared to pay extra for a decent service than anyone else. In other words you are one of those people that you think should get off the internet to make room for those who pay extra.
deathtrap
Grafter

FREE isn't a proper price, but it is without doubt contributory factor in why BT hasn't invested in it's core network capacity properly over the years, wait until they start to roll out G fast ect, they whole thing will grind to a halt if they don't invest enough to properly upgrade where needed, it is also why they have a cop out on FTTC 80/20 services  where by they deem that a 40+% loss in throughput is reasonable  that needs to go for a kick off, but they would have to invest in upgrades ,which they won't do if they aren't getting enough wonga
And ISP's over subscribing by (selling free months or giving big cashbacks) isn't helping  and yes why should those who pay a reasonable monthly fee face capacity issues due to free loaders who batter their connection 24/7 ?