cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You Tube buffering issues on tablet and other issues

jazladycat
Hooked

You Tube buffering issues on tablet and other issues

Hi Ive had various issues since joining Plus Net, two hot routers, and a third one which is still quite warm, so unable to place them near to my tablet to get a good connection. A chat person said they are hot, nothing to worry about, then he said they'd never heard of them getting hot, then he said they can do, so I'm confused. My hand tingles on touching it.

Another advisor said to move the phone and could be the cordless so bought a corded phone to no avail and wasted money.

Broadband fibre speeds are variable, better but not great since the master socket was moved, and YT videos keep buffering, and games like Word Chums are laggy. I'm using a Bush tablet.No issues with Vodafone mobile broadband it was brilliant and I wish I'd never got fibre broadband installed as its been a complete pain all round, and can't exit without a £175 fee despite all my issues.

Ive tried fiddling round with the channel settings, looking into possibly trying the old Thomson router instead of this one, a wifi extender, etc, but its just throwing more money at the issue.

I can't have the router by my tablet as it gets too hot, so no ethernet, and it needs to be in the hall as its cooler in there, it's on a wooden sideboard. It has a Salus smart thermostat device plugged in but it made no difference removing it. Ive tried moving the router with cable limitations around, turning off radiators, preying and Masonic style hopping with a lucky shoe on, etc, all to no avail.

So is there anything I can do free at this stage  to improve reception and YT, and laggy games? Would an old router help? 

Ive run speed tests and they are variable, around 22 to 35, but only getting two or three bars on my tablet and phone not full service unlike Vodafone.

10 REPLIES 10
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: You Tube buffering issues on tablet and other issues

Hi , Yes the router does get Warm , but should not be getting HOT But its strange why you had same problem with 3 routers ?

do you have access to a non Plusnet router to try that ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
hali39
Hooked

Hi

there seem to be a number of post about  various buffering apps  i am experiencing this on facebook. instagram and youtube.

have a look here for more details https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Facebook-app-really-slow/m-p/1514206#M72270

regards daljit

jazladycat
Hooked

Hi

Yes I tried a BT router, similar looking model, got very hot, this third latest replacement is quite warm, too warm to have near my tablet and in my living room but its not as hot as the other two. 

My phone is fine and Salus heating app in that area, and yes I have tried moving those, so its just the type of router, I may try an old style router with separate modem or a wifi extender.

jazladycat
Hooked

Hi

Thanks for that share, I'll have a look. Even if it doesn't fix my issue at least if other people are having similar issues, its something to approach PlusNet with.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The only reason that I can think of for a succesion of routers getting too hot is if you are using the same faulty power supply in every case. I assume that every time you changed the router that you also fitted the new power supply that came with it?

In terms of your poor Wifi performance, have you tried splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. This sometimes resolves this problem.

Go to 'Advanced Settings' -> 'Wireless'.

Click on 5 GHz wireless tab

Change the 'Sync with 2.4 GHz' to 'No'.

Update the SSID of the 5Ghz band by adding -5 to the name.

You can then choose the best to use on your tablet etc. by selecting either the 2.4 or 5GHz band.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jazladycat
Hooked

Hi

The third one isnt getting as hot, and I use the new cables with it, and the electrics have recently been tested and rewired in my house, nothing else is faulty, so I believe its the router. I spoke to customer service and someone called Karl said they can get hot, then he said we've never heard of them getting hot, then he said it can happen occasionally (!) I suspect he may have been a politician in his previous life.

Thanks for the other tip, Ive already tried that though to no avail, apparently many people are experiencing buffering issues on YT and FB and slow laggy reception on certain sites as according to the link below in the reply post to my post. 

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Do you have any other devices apart from the tablet?   If so, do they also perform the same?     My immediate reaction was that it could actually be the tablet?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jazladycat
Hooked

Hi

I posted in the other forum about Facebook as I noticed a lot of people were posting about slow laggy apps and buffering issues which is what I'm experiencing, including some with YT. Its not my tablet since it worked perfectly with Vodafone and Virgin wifi. Yes I have the same issues of poor and varying speeds and buffering on my mobile. 

hali39
Hooked

Both iPhone and both iPads and both laptops experience the same issues - 6 devices which work absolutely fine when at my mums house with BT internet. I never had these issues with plusnet over the last 10 years. They only arise when I switched to fibre. I pay twice as much as I did and receive an abysmal service. May be it time to move to BT?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@hali39 Have you been through our faults process on this yet?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager