Did you mean: 

Yet another slow internet query!

FIXED
danieljohn
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Yet another slow internet query!

Hi PlusNet,

I've been experiencing much reduced internet speeds for a few weeks now. Instead of my usual ~13Mbps I'm down to ~2.5Mbps. I thought it would be a temporary fault, so left it for a bit, but no joy.

I'm on Fibre, live near Bishop Auckland in County Durham, if that helps.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

11 REPLIES 11
danieljohn
Grafter

Re: Yet another slow internet query!

I know this might be silly, but is it worth turning the router off and then on again?!

Anyone on this site care to comment?

danieljohn
Grafter

Could you maybe tell me if there's a problem in the area or something?

Having only a 1/5 of my internet speed for weeks now is rather odd / annoying.

Thanks,

Daniel

2010dsc
Grafter

This has happened to my connection quite a few times.  At the moment I am getting 3 Mbps instead of a normal 41 Mbps.  My advice would be to ring them or use online chat.  They used to get back to you almost straight away (I've been with them for 6 years) but these days it takes longer and longer.  I hope you get sorted soon.

danieljohn
Grafter

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread 2010dsc.

I turned my router off yesterday, and testing my connection just now there is no improvement. See attached pic.

I'm in a similar boat to you, been with Plusnet for a few years now, and always found them quick to respond, especially on this forum. It's the only real reason I stayed with them, I could probably get a cheaper deal elsewhere.

I've rang tech support before, but often they just point me to here anyway. I will wait a couple more days, but look around for other ISPs in the meantime.

danieljohn
Grafter

After chatting to a tech. guy on the online chat I ran thought the 'report a fault' procedure. I was quite shocked to see that the website claims my 'maximum achievable speed' is now just 2.47Mbps! I used to get ~13Mbps! What happened?!?!

See attached screenshot.

I would very much appreciate if someone could shed some light on this,

Thanks,

Daniel

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

A WEEK !!!!! and this has not been picked up by PN staff here Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @danieljohn

Sorry to hear you are experiencing slow speeds.

To progress the fault we would need to book an engineer, I've updated your fault ticket. If you get back to us by replying to the ticket we'll get it booked in for you.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
danieljohn
Grafter

" Anoush Mortazavi - CSC Analyst
11:13am, Thursday 8 Dec 2016
Dear Mr John,

Thank you for your patience.

I've tested your line and I can see that your modem is in sync at a speed below your estimated speed range.

To progress your fault, we need to arrange an engineer visit. Please reply to this message with 3 available timeslots for an engineers visit. The available timeslots are weekdays either between 8am & 1pm or between 1pm & 6pm.

If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice.

This charge will apply at all times when we're working on the fault and you'll need to accept this statement again if the issue is closed and then re-opened.

Do you have any questions, or shall I go ahead and book the engineer? "

So, if an engineer comes, and can find no fault, I have to pay £65?!?! Seriously? 

danieljohn
Grafter

I pay £40 a month to get "Unlimited Fibre Extra" that goes at 2.5Mbps. I think I'm owed some money by you if anything.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

We are happy to refund your broadband subscription charges from the point the fault was reported to us.

As for the engineer charge if no fault is found, we have detected the speed is below the estimated range, so if the engineer cannot find a fault then I believe this would be looked into on a case by case basis.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
danieljohn
Grafter

Fix

Hi,

so an engineer came last week on Friday. The problem wasn't clear, but a new modem was installed and now my speed is back up to previous, acceptable, I guess, levels. It's not as quick as when I first got Fibre (Due to 'interference' apparently due to more people taking up Fibre in the area), but at least it's much better. ~12Mbps instead of 2.5Mbps.

So, thank you for the fix. I will chase up the account situation / money refund soon. The engineer gave me a direct number, which I will probably ring tomorrow.

But in terms of the technical issue this has been resolved.

Many thanks,

Daniel