cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another VPN question - static IP - which IP ranges affected?

FIXED
ralphsdad
Hooked

Yet another VPN question - static IP - which IP ranges affected?

TLDR: Having problems accessing Fortinet / Forticlient VPN for work (uses IPSec protocol). Already have a static IP, but wondering if it's in the range affected by VPN issues - 80.229.XXX.XXX

-----

Hi all, I've read through the forums and found a lot of mentions of VPN issues, so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on what to try next.

My girlfriend is having issues connecting to her work VPN from our plusnet broadband connection. The same laptops have been tested by colleagues on other providers and work fine, and she's able to connect with no issues over mobile data. Her VPN software is Forticlient, which connects over the IPSec protocol. 

Weirdly, I am able to use Cisco AnyConnect with no issues on the same connection. I know that many other customers have had issues with this VPN. The fact that the same machines work fine on other ISPs mean that I can't rule out an issue our end - her IT team claim there's nothing wrong there. 

We already have a static IP in the 80.229.XXX.XXX range. Does anyone know if this is in one of the known 'bad' ranges? 

We're on Ultimate Fibre Extra, currently connecting via Google WiFi router to OpenReach/Huawei VDSL modem. I just swapped routers from a TPLink Archer C7 v4, which I understand is known to have some issues with IPSec routing. 

I'd appreciate any advice on next steps. Thanks!

Edit: Should also add that broadband firewall setting is 'Off'

10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Yet another VPN question - static IP - which IP ranges affected?

Sorry to hear that your partner's been unable to connect to her VPN

Do you get any particular error when you try to connect?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ralphsdad
Hooked

Hi Matthew - there's just a pop up with 'VPN connection failed' that suggests checking connection details etc. This is before she is asked to enter the number from the dongle.

Worth adding that it sometimes allows her to connect. Maybe 1 time out of 15. Usually after rebooting modem and router
Tags (1)
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @ralphsdad,

Is there anything unique about these 1 out of 15 times that the connection is successful, or does it appear to be random luck? Would you be wiling to remove the static IP Address temporarily to test if this is the cause of the issue at hand?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
ralphsdad
Hooked

Hi @TheMightyAJ, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it - that's what's confusing me. Sometimes it'll connect first time, other times we'll get fed up of trying. Happy to switch to dynamic IP to test
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks ralphsdad, 

Just to clarify when we remove the static IP and switch to dynamic it would mean that a different IP would be assigned when we go back to static. I just needed to make you aware of that first in case it causes you any issues. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ralphsdad
Hooked

That's fine @adamwalker, it'll be easy enough for me to update my end. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've removed your static IP now, if you can reboot your router you'll pick up a dynamic one.

Let us know how it goes after that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ralphsdad
Hooked

Hi support team

2 different laptops have now been able to log in to the VPN first time. That suggests to me that the IP address was the issue. It it possible to get a static IP set up in the same range?
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hello @ralphsdad,

You can add a static IP address here however, I cannot guarantee that the IP assigned will be in the same range as your existing one. If you could kindly send me the details below via private message we can investigate why the VPN wasn't working on the previous IP address.

- The name of the VPN client

- The business you are trying to connect to

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

2 different laptops have now been able to log in to the VPN first time. That suggests to me that the IP address was the issue. It it possible to get a static IP set up in the same range?

@ralphsdad  AFAIK the ranges from which static IPs are allocated are different to those for dynamic IPs, so it's not possible to allocate a static one in the same range that you currently have. Having said that, dynamic ones are now allocated locally from much smaller pools and so are 'sticky' i.e you are very likely to be allocated the same Ip following a reconnect and it will almost certainly be in the same IP range.

As regards why the VPN had problems on the 80.229... range, @Gandalf  is that range still routed differently to the dynamic ranges?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.