cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another PS customer with very slow fibre speed

Juliaridge
Dabbler

Yet another PS customer with very slow fibre speed

Upgraded to 40 meg unlimited fibre this month, paying a extra £5 per more plus the cost of new hub 1 router. Previous internet non fibre with PS with 10 yr old router was around 3 megs download.  Now connected this super router directly to master socket via cat5 cable plugged laptop directly via Ethernet cable new improved speed 3.5 megs upload speed reduced  to .24 megs.  Have tested speeds several times via speed test.net and BT speed testers and followed all the steps on PS help, my problem has been reported, logged and ascalated! I am also aware PS did reset my router remotely still no difference. It would seem from this forum that all they need to do is reset my profile their end, how long does this take to do?
40 REPLIES 40
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Yet another PS customer with very slow fibre speed

Who's PS  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Reset isn't going to help as your upload speed is horrible
Please post the results of a BT speed test as asked for here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143836.0.html (the full version)
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Suspecct for PS read PN!
If I were you I would
a) report a speed fault via  the troublshooter here :  http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/fibre-speed-troubleshooting.shtml
If possible carry out all the steps requried of you.
b) next step is to give tech support a call: It has been quicker and easier to get a response recently & you may not have to wait a long time. Profiles can get stuck and it soemtimes needs a call to support to fix things.
Juliaridge
Dabbler

PS Should be Plus Net, sorry bad hair day!
Juliaridge
Dabbler

BT test results
Test 1 3.88 download 0.36 upload ping 42.88
Test 2 3.76 download 0.36 upload ping 39.00
Test 3 3.93 download 0.35 upload ping 42.88
Other speedtest taken:
29/01/16 10 yr old Plusnet thomson router non fibre no Cat5 cable and connected into BT extension socket (not Master) 2.99 download 0.36 upload.
31/01/16 New Hub1 router connected into master socket using Cat 5 cable and connected directly to laptop via ethernet cable 3.38 download 0.35 upload
Oldjim
Resting Legend

we need the IP profile from the further diagnostics as my suspicion is that you are still on ADSL
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Beat me to it there Jim. Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Is  the extention socket  you mentioned still connected? What kind of master socket do you have? What else - if anything , apart from phone & new fibremoden is plugged into the system?
You need to be able to test with only fibre modem plugged into the master and all other extn wiring disabled.
Juliaridge
Dabbler

where would I find this IP details?
My master BT socket is a NTE5 as install originally by BT, Whilst testing speeds all other devices (2 telephones) were disconnected along with filters. No other computers etc being used, switched off.
runhare
Aspiring Pro

From The PN help pages :  : http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#ipProfile

• IP Profile :  Also known as: BRAS profile
    This a speed limit applied by equipment in your telephone exchange.
    The IP Profile is designed to stop us from sending more data down your phone line than it (or your router) can physically handle. As such, it represents the maximum speed you can achieve whilst also receiving a stable connection.
    The way an IP Profile is calculated depends on the broadband product

To find yours   look up this page on the PN Portal  and see what it says  : (you will need to log into your account) https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
It shows what info  PN are getting from the exchange about your connection status and if youtr  IP profile setting is wrong it will be clear from the data you see .

Here is mine for example:

Telephone number:
   01xxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone exchange:
 TOY TOWN
Estimated line speed:
   10Mb (This may vary between 5.1Mb and 10Mb) - Checked on 2016-01-03 13:20:02
Current line speed:
   11.9 Mb

if you suspect things are not right you should report a speed or conenction fault . A stuck IP profile can often be fixed by the PN tech staff but they will need to speak to you and give you ceratin instrutions over the phone while you are at home. If its another issue then you may need an engineer to check the condition of the line .
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Also it is not unkonwn for faults  to develop in master sockets and in extension wiring - I have had a number of these in my house the cause of which was always a mystery -
Also you need to elimiate the possibility of mains current leakage into the phone circuit from other equiment like answerphones , cordless phones and Skyboxes etc etc
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Juliaridge
where would I find this IP details?
My master BT socket is a NTE5 as install originally by BT, Whilst testing speeds all other devices (2 telephones) were disconnected along with filters. No other computers etc being used, switched off.
Just click on this http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do
Note that the above poster is confused between the BT IP profile - which is what we need - and the Plusnet "Current Line Speed"  which we don't need at this stage
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Just click on this http://www.speedtest.btwh...ceTesterWS/diagnostics.do
Note that the above poster is confused between the BT IP profile - which is what we need - and the Plusnet "Current Line Speed"  which we don't need at this stage

You are dead  right fo course  Oldjim :  but shouldn't they be about the same? My BT IP profle was stuck this week and PN were able to identify the cause and fix it. The results from both were idecntical before the fix and after  the fix had been appled both showed the same improved result .
Another suggestion  is to look up https://www.dslchecker.bt.com  to see what the theoretcical available service is  on the line
Juliaridge
Dabbler

This is from the email from Plusnet:
Broadband product Unlimited Fibre
Estimated speed 19Mbps to 21MbpsThis estimate is based on data provided by our supplier. Your actual speed will vary but should be within the estimated range - find out why your speed can vary
This is a further email from Plusnet having connect new router:
High-speed Broadband
Telephone number:01752 xxxxxx  Phone exchange:CROWNHILL Estimated line speed:74Mb (This may vary between 54.6Mb and 74Mb) - Checked on 2016-01-29 15:18:27 Current line speed:3.6 Mb Your estimated line speedIf we've done a line check for you, we provide an estimate of the broadband speed that your line should support. Please see above for the 'Estimate line speed'. We have also included a speed range, as the speed of your service can vary due to the nature of broadband. If we're unable to provide a line check, we give you the option of continuing without a speed estimate, in which case you'd see the Speed Estimate as "Opted out".What does "Current line speed" mean?The speed shown above is based on your sync speed. This is always a little higher than the speed at which data will actually be downloaded over your broadband connection. Find out more about sync speed.Learn more about why broadband speeds vary - high-speed broadband guide.
Hope this helps.