Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yesterday's storm...

FIXED
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Yesterday's storm...

... played havoc with our internet! Our phone line is definitely underground all the way to the cabinet, which is about half a mile away. I was running dslStats and it was plain to see the effect of the wind on the connection.. as we reached the peak wind speed you could see the error rate picking up dramatically. It's dropped off again now, but this leads me to the conclusion that somewhere along the way there must be an exposed overhead cable. 

Seeing as how I am certain that the phone line is underground to the fibre box, it must be between that and the exchange. Question...  is it usual for a fibre cable to be run to the exchange overground? Seems dodgy to me if it is!

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Yesterday's storm...

Hi @nozzer

I imagine if that's the best way to route the line that it's possible the fibre could be overground.

I've tested your line and while it's not identifying a definitive cause for the problem, we are seeing what you're seeing:

Connection stable last night but dropping today:

A very high amount of errors on the line:

Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-11-30T13:58:06Z 2018-11-30T14:13:06Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 1
Egress Code Violation 830 630
Errored Seconds 71 56
Severely Errored Seconds 16 12
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Assuming you've done the usual troubleshooting like moving your router to the master socket, I'd report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net giving us a nudge over here when you've completed it, so we can pass this on to our suppliers and arrange an engineer for further investigation.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nozzer
Hero

@Gandalf

Thanks for that. I've reported it and it's apparently showing an equipment fault in the exchange. To be looked at over the weekend apparently. 

All the rain yesterday has got in the works!

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @nozzer, I suppliers believe they have now cleared the fault.

The connection looks to be stable and tests are detecting any  faults, how is everything looking your side?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
nozzer
Hero

@LaurenB

Nothing has changed! I've reported it again and the "cleared report" has been rejected. I should be getting a report back sometime. I don't think OR did anything to be honest seeing as how the cleared report was received 35 minutes after the fault was reported!

There's something strange going on with the frequency channels. As far as I'm aware, there are six channels used for upstream and downstream transmission, three up and three down. Prior to the fault, the SNRM channel graphs U1, U2, U3, D1, D2, and D3 were all stable and present, and showing the same SNRM values as the summary SNRM graph. On the day of the fault (30th Nov) the upstream channels were all behaving, but the downstream channels were all over the place. I have posted the graph showing how the SNRM of channels D2 and D3 were varying. Since November 30th channel D3 has disappeared completely from the SNRM channel graph, and the signal attenuation for that channel is showing N/A.

For some reason I can't seem to attach more than one file to this post, so the one graph will have to do for now.

The line noise before the fault was perfect, very quiet, no errored seconds at all over weeks of usage. Since the fault there are loads of CRC errors, errored seconds and severely errored seconds.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've checked for an update and I see our suppliers have run diagnostics, advising that to progress the fault we'd need to arrange an engineer visit with you. 

If you can reply to your support ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=185130286 with your availability and nudge us over here when you've done so we'll be happy to book the appointment in for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nozzer
Hero

@Gandalf

Thanks for replying. I have booked an appointment for Thursday. However...   I really do believe that someone was working in the exchange. My line speed has suddenly been boosted by about 50% (yes, fifty percent!) this afternoon! The only reason I can give for this is that someone has been working in the exchange last week, started a job, didn't complete it in time, and left it for today. The noise has disappeared as well and there are three channels back on the downstream.

I'm not going to cancel the appointment yet in case it's a flash in the pan, but if it stays stable, all's well that ends well, as they say.

Fingers and toes crossed. Smiley

nozzer
Hero

Fix

@Gandalf  @LaurenB

Just to confirm that I have closed ticket 185130286. The line is now stable. A self-healing system! A few more like that required I think. Smiley

Thank you both for your responses.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @nozzer,

Thank you for getting back in touch, I'm glad to hear that this issue has been resolved without the need for an engineer visit.

Please let us know if you experience any further problems with your connection or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team