cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Years Early Termination Charge after 2 weeks (Moved from Plusnet to Zen)!!!

gbrunsdon

Years Early Termination Charge after 2 weeks (Moved from Plusnet to Zen)!!!

I wondered if anyone can offer us advice please.
Two weeks ago we moved our broadband fibre service from Plusnet to Zen. We left our phone service with Plusnet as we'd paid them a year in advance. (With 3 months left to run..)
Then, last Tuesday we get an email from Zen to say that as our phone line has ceased, our Broadband has also been stopped.
So, after various phone calls to Zen and Plusnet, it turns out that Plusnet don’t offer a phone only service, so after moving our broadband over, they then cut our line!!!
So, we are now left with an invoice from Zen for a years Broadband (Contract Early Termination Charge, 390.58) – and no Broadband service or phone line!!!!!!
We've tried talking to Plusnet and Zen, and are being offered nothing whatsoever!!
This is particularly infuriating as my 2 daughters are in the middle of their exam revision.
So – any advice to try and sort out this mess would be extremely appreciated...
14 REPLIES 14
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Years Early Termination Charge after 2 weeks (Moved from Plusnet to Zen)!!!

Seems to be a stupid move by plusnet, as it's line rental they make the most of profit from, But there is no reason other than they don't want to provide PSTN services only stopping them from doing so, Zen will knock £4.50 off the broadband monthly subs if you take line rental with them and unlike plusnet they do provide PSTN services without BB , but there are plenty of cheaper line rental deals out there with other providers

I wonder if pn would have been as quick to cease your pstn service if they hadn't been paid upfront for it?  they could have let the pstn service run until the end of the 12mths lrs contract without it being a great issue to them  imo
It's one of the pitfalls of having both voice &BB with same provider especially with any of the mass market providers with the exception of BT retail as none will provide PSTN voice services only
deathtrap
Grafter

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You might find this thread useful http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137395.0.html
It would appear that whilst you can't sign up to a 'phone only' account, if you migrate the BB away it should have reverted to a 'Residential services' account with just the phone and not been ceased.
Hopefully if one of the CRT staff is around they will try to help sort it out.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only bit I am not sure about is if Zen put you onto their LLU service although I would have thought that would have triggered the phone cease immediately
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
You might find this thread useful http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137395.0.html
if you migrate the BB away it should have reverted to a 'Residential services' account with just the phone and not been ceased.

That is a game changer,in which case PN should compensate you for the downtime and any charges that have resulted from this such as the GEA FTTC service being ceased as a result of someone's incompetence at the very least  if not also the monthly subs pro rata on a daily basis for each day that you are unable to access the service that you have paid for
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
The only bit I am not sure about is if Zen put you onto their LLU service although
No ZEN's LLU is SMPF only  So no different to migrating to any BTW based provider  should this be the case it would affect the bb only
gbrunsdon

Thanks everyone - I feel much happier now and empowered to take both Plusnet and Zen on this week - hope it doesnt happen to anyone else - it just takes so much time to sort out,,,, Grrrrrr!!!
alext05
Grafter

Do update us on the outcome, as someone else might benefit from knowing what exactly has gone wrong and how to prevent it from happening.
gbrunsdon

Hi - have just received an incredible response from Customer Services.....
[Dear Mr Brunsdon,
Thanks for your time on chat last night.
I have listened to the call, you made to my colleague in the Customer Options Team on 17th April.
In it, you asked to cancel the account and asked for a MAC. Sarah offered you a new deal, which you rejected, and reiterated that you wanted to cancel and obtain a MAC. Sarah confirmed that the MAC would be emailed to you within 5 working days (in the event, it was emailed to you within 4 hours).
You asked how long was left on your Line Rental Saver, and were told it would expire in August, but at no point did you specify that the phone be kept open, and this was never mentioned by Sarah since we do not offer a phone-only product on Plusnet.
As such, I am afraid that there would be nothing more that we can offer since the account is now closed and there are no longer any service with Plusnet.
I am sorry that this is not want you would wish to hear, but I'm afraid I cannot see that Sarah has done anything incorrectly, and since the account is now closed we would not be offering any discounts...
---------------
Can't quite believe that despite clarifying with them that my phone line was paid until 22 August next - they still cut my line as I hadn't specifiacally asked it to be kept open... Grrrrrrrrr!!!!
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I will look into this, and update this post in about an hour's time.

Hi gbrunsdon,
Really sorry for the situation here, it has been unfair on you.
I've just gone and listened back to the same call.
You asked how long was left on your Line Rental Saver, and were told it would expire in August, but at no point did you specify that the phone be kept open, and this was never mentioned by Sarah since we do not offer a phone-only product on Plusnet.

I genuinely think that this was a mix up and there was honest intentions from both parties. As a result, I'd like to just reactivate your line, and get Zen to reprovide the broadband on their side, and then let you migrate over the phone/keep the phone when your line rental saver runs out.
I'm not sure if Zen will let you do this, but ideally it may be best to check if they are happy to resume your contract, should we reprovision the phone.
Are you ok to PM me your mobile number, or an alternative form of contact so we can discuss further? Understandably, your landline is now out of action (not meaning to rub it in), and that was the only contact number we had.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
keyholder
Grafter

Regarding Zen wise, The only thing i can say is , Stay away from them!!!  .....  Providing youre not gonig to be moving home or alas having phone line problems.
zen dont do home moves so they will require you to pay the whole lot of the outstanding balance ( a years worth ) before giving you a new service!
Now i know youre not moving home but due to youre phone service being screwed up with PN,  and now zen leaving you with an invoice for the remaining year, Im betting youll now be charged for the whole remaing year!!  Im also in the same situation with them, zen will no doubt allow you to offer £50 pm to pay off any outstanding fees owed!
So now your gonna have to pay out twice for the same service sadly Sad
The only perk of having Zen internet is. A 12 month contract ( that includes fibre ) &  FREE x 1  static ip address. ( but u get 7 always, has been the case since Adsl)
The joys of zen internet.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Hang on....I thought request Mac is no longer needed now?
deathtrap
Grafter

It is until June
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: keyholder
but due to youre phone service being screwed up with PN,  and now zen leaving you with an invoice for the remaining year, Im betting youll now be charged for the whole remaing year!!  Im also in the same situation with them, zen will no doubt allow you to offer £50 pm to pay off any outstanding fees owed!
So now your gonna have to pay out twice for the same service sadly Sad
The only perk of having Zen internet is. A 12 month contract ( that includes fibre ) &  FREE x 1  static ip address. ( but u get 7 always, has been the case since Adsl)
The joys of zen internet.
No, the OP won't have to pay twice,Because they are not responsible for plusnets error, also they did not wilfully/negligently  breech their contract with Zen,IMO Zen are going through their default process, but once the OP speaks with someone in authority at Zen  they will subject to a re activation charge allow the contract to continue But they are unable to do this until the line is re activated be that with plusnet  for the remainder of the LRS contract , or with a different CP