cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yeahh, comon' baby !

supernova1
Grafter

Yeahh, comon' baby !

Today nice workmen started digging a hole in the path at the end of my street - FIBRE is here Cheesy
After years of slow 2mbps speeds our little village is being "photonated".
So, after a few false starts it's now actually happening, what is the usual time period from when the FTTC green box appears to when orders can be placed.?
ATB
Supernova.
49 REPLIES 49
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Yeahh, comon' baby !

From my experience after being in your shoes so to speak, ‘it all depends’ is the standard reply. Not very helpful but there are so many factors involved in getting the fibre to the cabinet.
They have to put up the cabinet, get tubes laid in from the nearest connection point (not always the nearest exchange), clear any blocked ducts, install any new cabinet covers (one in my case for an old rusty cover). Next comes the ‘blow in’ to get the actual fibre from the connection point to your cabinet, then the guys connect it all up and finally you get the ‘Go’ signal to connect up.
Cabinets went up last spring and we connect last month, your results may vary (but we were due autumn 2016) so not a bad result.
supernova1
Grafter

Thanks Pendragon,
A gang was checking the ducts a few weeks ago and they have just started installing the plinth and new duct to my existing DP.
Looking at roadworks.org, they are due to finish installing the new cab and connecting duct by 1st Dec.
So from what I have read, it could be another 6 months from the completion of the FTTC install until it goes live.
I'll update the thread 'as it happens' -
ATB
SN
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
Glad to hear fibre is coming to your neighbourhood supernova1.
Keep us posted, it will be interesting to see how things progress from a customer's point of view.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Timalay
Grafter

Quote from: supernova1
A gang was checking the ducts a few weeks ago and they have just started installing the plinth and new duct to my existing DP.
Looking at roadworks.org, they are due to finish installing the new cab and connecting duct by 1st Dec.
So from what I have read, it could be another 6 months from the completion of the FTTC install until it goes live.

I hate to disappoint it was about 9 months for fibre to go live (after the cabinets appeared) in my area.
supernova1
Grafter

Hi Adam / Timalay,
Omphhh - 9 months - that'll be a killer 🙂
I drive past the cabinet as it is on the corner of my street - seeing it there teasing me everyday for 9 months  Cry
However, it's the only cabinet to be installed in my village so hopefully, the infastructure will pass it's tests sooner than later.
The cabinet was installed on its plinth today (25th Nov 2014) - still heaps of mud and holes, with a planned completion date of 1 Dec.
I guess they still have to connect it to power and drag a cable to the existing D side cabinet which is about 15m away.

ATB
SN

supernova1
Grafter

25th Nov- Power company were connecting the electrical supply to the cab today.
nilsatisoptimum
Dabbler

In North Powys under Super Fast Cymru, I saw meaningful progress (cabinets go up) start in April of this year and switched on and taking orders at the end of September.  How useful that is to you, who knows!
avatastic
Grafter

It was about five months for me (west Powys) after a legacy cabinet appearing outside the exchange, then a Fibre cabinet appearing next to it and then orders being taken. I'm not sure if everyone who was on a direct to exchange line was moved on to the legacy cabinet first (or if that's indeed a common practice) or if I was just lucky, or moved as part of my FTTC order when I could place it.
It should be noted that I'm already in an area that uses mostly ducts rather than poles so that probably sped things up significantly.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
WWWombat
Grafter

Shifting lines over to the new PCP is a job for a jointer for a good chunk of a day, or perhaps more; jointers aren't generally among the staff that will come to your house to install fibre. They also seem to be in short supply (lack of such guys is reported as one of the reasons for the last part of the BDUK project in North Yorkshire running late).
Swapping the lines is almost certainly done as a task for all lines in one go, rather than an order-by-order basis.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
biglee1974
Grafter

On the flip side of the coin, I was able to order Fibre just 3 weeks after the cabinet appeared in my estate - had to wait another week on the engineer installation however! Wink
Went from 2.5Mb to 38Mb. Its amazing the difference it makes. Hope you get the same outcome too!
Cheers,
Lee.
supernova1
Grafter

Fingers crossed for a 3 week wait to go live  Shocked but BB for oxfordshire says complete June 2015  Cry
Work has finished on the duct between FTTC and the original D side cab.
Roadworks.org says more work due - looks like they need to install a new main duct for when the fiber gets blown.
100m of new duct required due to collapsed ducts.
ATB
SN
supernova1
Grafter

Contractors installing new duct yesterday and today.....radar scanning for the fibre reel lorry Grin
supernova1
Grafter

2nd week Jan 2015 - No work has been done for weeks.
Ducts between FTTC and old cab completed, everything looking finished and tidy.
Also what appears to be the  new 100m section ducting installed now completed.
No scheduled work showing on roadworks.org.
Not sure if OR have connected the two cabs or if fibre blown...
Just checked the FTTC cabinet - no sound of fans or equipment running  Sad (check under hours of darkness wearing dark clothing is recommended ;D)
...............waiting...........
Timalay
Grafter

I would like to say in the 2 years I've had Fibre, not once have I heard fan running from the cabinet.  But then I never walk past it that late, and it's near a busy road.